Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's time for Monte to go --> IF <--- he won't (or can't) change « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

#30 : October 14, 2007, 08:17:49 PM

What are you talking about Joe? Good points were made and nobody has come back with anything of substance? We have one of the best defenses in teh league, and I provided statistics that show that. I also showed that we are doing it with only 8 sacks through 6 games. The reason I didnt respond to DTG is becauase I only read the first post in this thread. WHy would I waste my time reading an entire thread with the basis of "Monte must go"? I guess when he has this defense in the top 10 at the end of the year, for the 10th time in 11 seasons you guys could flood him with letters about your disapproval

Have you ever considered that if you blitz more, your LB and safeties arent able to sit back and read and react to the run and if they do pass you are vulnerable to the one on one deep ball scenario? WHich is exactly what this defensive scheme is based on protecting against.

BucHawk

Second String

#31 : October 14, 2007, 08:17:59 PM

That is a dumb question. OBVIOUSLY, the Tampa 2 is very effective right now because we arent giving up any points.

It is also OBVIOUS, that a pass rush from the front 4 is typically very important to the Tampa 2.

So my friend, will you please explain to me why we should stop doing the things that have made us 8th in the NFL in passing yards againt and 8th in the NFL in points against?

Since you agree that a pass rush from the front 4 is typically VERY important to the Tampa 2 and someone as smart as yourself surely has observed the Bucs are getting nearly zero pressure from their front 4 then it's kind of obvious running the Tampa-2, especially on passing situations is not the best thing.

To answer your question--The reason the Bucs are doing so well statistically (except for 3rd down pass defense) is that they have a ton of talent at LB and DB.  And while their DL is not getting any pass rush, they appear to be stiffer against the run than even the golden Tampa-2 era.

So, my point is:  If there is talent there but the talent doesn't fit the scheme, then Monte should adjust the scheme and gameplan to match his talent.  Even more so situationally (like 3rd and long).  And --> IF <-- he can't or won't do that, he should be replaced in the offseason.

You can call me a moron or say that my head is up my ass, but I believe reasonable people would have a hard time finding fault with what I'm saying.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 14, 2007, 08:18:26 PM

Exactly Joe. Well said.  As for you Dan. To say the defense is fine and not look at how to make adjustments to improve is just whistling past the graveyard to me.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 14, 2007, 08:23:45 PM

Exactly Joe. Well said.  As for you Dan. To say the defense is fine and not look at how to make adjustments to improve is just whistling past the graveyard to me.

In points allowed, the defense has generally been fine. However, not being able to get off the field on third down not only affects the defense, but it affects the offense as well. People are quick to point out that when the Bucs offense fails to produce is has a negative impact on the defense, however allowing teams to consistently put together 10, 12, 14 play drives game-in and game-out gives your offense fewer chances as well.

#34 : October 14, 2007, 08:26:52 PM

To answer your question--The reason the Bucs are doing so well statistically (except for 3rd down pass defense) is that they have a ton of talent at LB and DB.  And while their DL is not getting any pass rush, they appear to be stiffer against the run than even the golden Tampa-2 era.

Smartest thing you've said in this thread. I agree 100%. The DB/LB on this team are championship caliber. In fact I was just thinking today as I was watching the game that if we had even 1 serious pass rusher on the DL, and a running game, we would be title contenders.

So please, you or anyone else who agrees with you answer my question. WHy do you wnat to go against something that is working?

Drew Brees completed 26 passes against us, and their offense scored 14 points

MArk Bulger completed 17 passes, the Rams scored 3 points (with a helathy S Jackson)

David Carr completed 19 passes, Carolina scored 7

Vince young complete 11/14, and Collins completed 10/20 (wow I cant believe we let Collins complete 50% andd Young completed 79% and we are mad because we didnt blitz Collins more), and Tennessee scored 10

I dont know how much more evidence you need to show you that this defense is playing great while still allowing QBs time to fin guys open. Did you even consider that if say, we blitz Brooks and Ruud on one play than we take away the strongest part of their game which is to read and react and usse their instincts to get to the ball? Or that we will be vulnerable to the deep ball if we blitz? You are just assuming we can blitz people, and it will do nothing to the other parts of this defense that are working well right now.  Thats why we are on the message board, and MOnte Kiffin is getting paid big bucks

BucHawk

Second String

#35 : October 14, 2007, 08:35:35 PM

Smartest thing you've said in this thread. I agree 100%.

If you go back an read my original post, it's almost identical to what I just said--maybe I'm not a maroon after all.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 14, 2007, 08:40:18 PM

can't really blame Monte Kiffin or the defense for that matter.

They had the ball for about 6 minutes the whole second half.  Now it is the inability of the D not to get off the field, but our D line was tired.  Can't expect them to get sacks, even though they got 3(Adams, Carter, Haye).

I thought the D played good and they were on the field the whole 2nd half so it was hard for them to catch their breath.

If our D gives up 10 pts from here on out, I'll be happy.

Only concerning stat I have.

1st Win(Saints)- Offense scored 31 pts
2nd win(Rams)-Offense scored 24 pts
3rd win(@CAR)-Offense scored 20 pts-(Caddy/Pettigout hurt early)
5th game(@IND)-Offense scored 14 pts(Pittman hurt early)
4th win(TEN)-Offense scored 13 pts

I hope our trend of pts doesnt continue in that direction.  I think with Detroit coming up we should be able to put up some points.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#37 : October 14, 2007, 08:42:47 PM

We couldn't stop them on 3rd down. That's a big problem.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 14, 2007, 08:45:47 PM

Badabing:

Against increasingly better defenses. Just like your offense needs to convert 3rd downs so your defense can stay fresh, your defense needs to get off the field so your offense has more chances to make something happen.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#39 : October 14, 2007, 08:53:12 PM

I'd have to say that I am getting tired of the cover 2 defense. I just don't think it's the way to go anymore.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#40 : October 14, 2007, 08:55:26 PM

IMO this lack of pass rush falls squarely on the shoulders of Kiffin. It's his responsiblity to find ways of getting pressure and he's not getting the job done. Of course, Monte is not on the field but it sure looks as though we need to go to plan B, and fast. Indy carved us up last week and I thought we could have adjusted our scheme but never did. IMO Monte needs to come up with ways to get to the QB, wether it's 3-4 on passing downs, but something got to change schemeatically. We don't have the players so we've got to change our approach.

The lack of pass rush is due to talent.  Dude you don't grow pass rushers on trees.  We don't have a crew up front that is able to bring a lot of pressure.  Monte can't fix that until the off season...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#41 : October 14, 2007, 08:57:30 PM

IMO this lack of pass rush falls squarely on the shoulders of Kiffin. It's his responsiblity to find ways of getting pressure and he's not getting the job done. Of course, Monte is not on the field but it sure looks as though we need to go to plan B, and fast. Indy carved us up last week and I thought we could have adjusted our scheme but never did. IMO Monte needs to come up with ways to get to the QB, wether it's 3-4 on passing downs, but something got to change schemeatically. We don't have the players so we've got to change our approach.

The lack of pass rush is due to talent. Dude you don't grow pass rushers on trees. We don't have a crew up front that is able to bring a lot of pressure. Monte can't fix that until the off season...

chev, this is QFT

BucHawk

Second String

#42 : October 14, 2007, 09:02:03 PM

What's on Kiffen is playing a defensive scheme that absolutely requires a good pass rush from the front 4 when we don't have one.  Playing that scheme on 3rd and long and giving up 1st downs repeatedly is on Kiffen too.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#43 : October 14, 2007, 09:06:04 PM

do you understand what the cover 2 is all about? it's about keeping everything in front of you and not giving up the deep ball there are going to be plays allowed underneath that gain your opponent first down yards. hitting seam routes is the killer of the cover 2, which normally comes from the tight ends. this scheme works and is being used by SEVERAL teams in this league. the cover 2 relies on the pass rush to be extremely effective, and we don't have the talent on our line to do that yet.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#44 : October 14, 2007, 09:06:57 PM

The Bucs are tied for fifth worst in the league on third down.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's time for Monte to go --> IF <--- he won't (or can't) change « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools