Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yards Per Play « previous next »
Page: 1

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: October 14, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

The Titans defense is among the best in the league, I think we all knew that. The interesting stat is Yards Per Play.

Coming into the game they were allowing well under 5 yards per offensive play. Well, our Bucs managed to post a 6.6 yards per play average against them, despite the fact that Tennessee was able to completely bottle up the running game. The Bucs executed just 46 offensive plays to 70 by the Titans, yet the Bucs offense amassed 304 total yards while Tennessee managed 317.

At 4.6 yards allowed per play, the Bucs defense is now tied for 3rd in the league with the NE Patriots.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 14, 2007, 09:02:17 PM

i can live with that...good defense will win you ball games...now if we could only get an offense like NE

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 14, 2007, 09:04:08 PM

The Titans defense is among the best in the league, I think we all knew that. The interesting stat is Yards Per Play.

Coming into the game they were allowing well under 5 yards per offensive play. Well, our Bucs managed to post a 6.6 yards per play average against them, despite the fact that Tennessee was able to completely bottle up the running game. The Bucs executed just 46 offensive plays to 70 by the Titans, yet the Bucs offense amassed 304 total yards while Tennessee managed 317.

At 4.6 yards allowed per play, the Bucs defense is now tied for 3rd in the league with the NE Patriots.

Monte surely should be fired for that! [banghead]

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 14, 2007, 09:05:40 PM

Well, if our defense can improve on third down -- they're among the worst in the league, tied for 5th worst -- then the offense will get more chances.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 14, 2007, 09:10:36 PM

I think 3rd down is where our pass rush is letting us down.  Can't let any QB sit and pick targets on 3rd down...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 14, 2007, 09:16:36 PM

I think 3rd down is where our pass rush is letting us down.  Can't let any QB sit and pick targets on 3rd down...

And there's no way Kerry Collins should have been able to do to us on 3rd down what he did to us today.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 14, 2007, 09:35:36 PM

I just posted in another thread the reason our defense is playing well is because of the back 7.  Used to be the front 4 holding it down.  Now we cover better than we rush the passer.  That still leaves you open to the 3rd and less than 5 downs where slants and quick hitters are hurting us.  3rd and long is killing us because the QB has forever and a day to throw.  No matter how good you are if you let the quick rhythym game get going we're in trouble.  I have to believe the dline will continue to get better...Or at least I'm hoping...

Bucfanut

Starter

#7 : October 14, 2007, 09:38:50 PM

As bad as the 3rd down D was, we held the Titans rushing O (I believe they had like the 3rd ranked rushing O coming in) to 96 yards on 33 carries (White had the bulk, 25 carries for 64 yards).  In total, that's just 2.9 ypc as a team; and Vince Young was not able to get anything going on the ground (3 rushes for 6 yards); and in fact, the Titans longest run on the day was 9 yards.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#8 : October 14, 2007, 09:39:06 PM

Nobody collapses the pocket and causes the passer to run. Used to be Warren and Co. collapsed the pocket from all sides. Then, once Warren left, it was Simeon flushing the quarterback to the right and cutting the field in half.

Now, nothing. A QB on the ground has a rating of 0. A QB on the move usually has a rating far lower than normal. A QB standing upright in the pocket will pick you apart all day.

Gaines was supposed to combat this problem, but he's been totally ineffective.

gharen

Pro Bowler

#9 : October 14, 2007, 09:42:27 PM

I'm surprised we haven't seen more of Chukurwa now that he's healthy.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yards Per Play « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools