Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What exactly is GruAllen's contract situation? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#15 : November 14, 2006, 11:51:06 AM

I am still waiting to hear the possible replacements for Gru/Allen. Everyone wants to fire them, but no one offers a solution. Does this mean that they are saying "Anyone is better than the current regime"??

And you bring in a new group and the process starts all over again.

Not sure it is the way to go.....yet.

It just seems counter-productive at this time.

It's not our job to find replacements, just like it wasn't Rams, Saints, or Jets fans responsibility to find replacements for their teams.....but that worked out.

Just playing devil's advocate to this overused point of view on a coaching change. I don't want Gruden fired, but to ask who the replacement should be is poor. Nobody knew what Cowher could do 12 years ago, or Jimmy Johnson back in 1989. Why is it so hard to believe that a "no name" coach couldn't be successful?

You keep bringing up Cowher's name, and as pointed out he went through some very tough times after losing the Superbowl, but they stuck with him and he got back to the Superbowl.
Tough times? He got to the AFC Championship game almost every other year.

Not even. The lean years were 98-00, no playoff berths, 6-10, 7-9 and 9-7 records, then in 2003 6-10 and now this year, 3-6. The point is Cowher walked into a great situation, but also had to go through a rebuilding process and even then things were not perfect. His success mirrors Gruden, only Gruden built a team from scratch in Oakland and started out 8-8 for two years. Both have the same winning percentage at .547
Please give it a rest. After the success Cowher had, he deserved a 3 year reprieve.

You say he walked into a great situation? 1989 9-7, 1990 9-7, 1991 7-9.

1992 Central Champ
1993 Wild card
1994 Central Champ, AFC Champ game
1995 Central Champ, AFC Champ game, SuperBowl
1996 Central Champ
1997 Central champ, AFC Champ game
2001 Central Champ, AFC Champ game
2002 North Champ
2004 North Champ, AFC Champ game
2005 North Champ, AFC Champ game, SuperBowl Champion

Hell, if they don't win for the next 3 years again, he deserves that chance.

4bucs

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 14, 2006, 11:55:28 AM

I think hes got a guaranteed contract thru 2009 if thats accurate theres no way in hell hes getting fired nor should he be......a rookie QB and a piss poor OL spell disaster for anybody.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#17 : November 14, 2006, 12:02:28 PM

]Please give it a rest. After the success Cowher had, he deserved a 3 year reprieve.

Reprieve, hello it's called rebuilding a team. That's what's happening to the Bucs right now, turnover of an aging defenseand the pains of a young offense.

Look at the talent on those teams. Like I said he was handed a very good team.

1992 Central Champ
1993 Wild card
1996 Central Champ

insert rebuilding process

2002 North Champ

whoops down again..

I guess you failed to mis the point that given time a good coach will have a successful career. The proof is positive, 15 years, 2 Superbowl berths, one Championship versus 9 years one Superbowl berth, one Championship. Give me a break.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#18 : November 14, 2006, 12:03:06 PM

]Please give it a rest. After the success Cowher had, he deserved a 3 year reprieve.

Reprieve, hello it's called rebuilding a team. That's what's happening to the Bucs right now, turnover of an aging defenseand the pains of a young offense.

Look at the talent on those teams. Like I said he was handed a very good team.

1992 Central Champ
1993 Wild card
1996 Central Champ

insert rebuilding process

2002 North Champ

whoops down again..

I guess you failed to mis the point that given time a good coach will have a successful career. The proof is positive, 15 years, 2 Superbowl berths, one Championship versus 9 years one Superbowl berth, one Championship. Give me a break.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#19 : November 14, 2006, 12:05:26 PM

9 years?

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#20 : November 14, 2006, 12:06:57 PM

9 years?

yes this year is Grudens 9th...

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#21 : November 14, 2006, 12:08:45 PM

Cerious it is not just the losing seasons. It is what Gruden was brought in to do.  The Bucs right now lack an identitiy on offense.  What kind of offense are they as of now?  What can they do well?

Cowher's teams win or lose has always had the same identitiy and a sense of direction.  I thought the Bucs had a sense of direction last year with what they wanted to do on offense.  Now I am not seeing it and it is not becuase of Bruce.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#22 : November 14, 2006, 12:14:05 PM

9 years?

What the hell does Oakland and the guy who really makes the decisions out there have to do with the Buccs?

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#23 : November 14, 2006, 12:16:49 PM

9 years?

What the hell does Oakland and the guy who really makes the decisions out there have to do with the Buccs?

Were talking careers buddy...you know, total sum of coaching success/failure...

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#24 : November 14, 2006, 12:39:47 PM

9 years?

Were talking careers buddy...you know, total sum of coaching success/failure...
Yes, you are a failure. Talking to you is like talking to a retarded 5 year old about football.

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 14, 2006, 12:56:06 PM

I am still waiting to hear the possible replacements for Gru/Allen. Everyone wants to fire them, but no one offers a solution. Does this mean that they are saying "Anyone is better than the current regime"??

And you bring in a new group and the process starts all over again.

Not sure it is the way to go.....yet.

It just seems counter-productive at this time.

It's not our job to find replacements, just like it wasn't Rams, Saints, or Jets fans responsibility to find replacements for their teams.....but that worked out.

Just playing devil's advocate to this overused point of view on a coaching change. I don't want Gruden fired, but to ask who the replacement should be is poor. Nobody knew what Cowher could do 12 years ago, or Jimmy Johnson back in 1989. Why is it so hard to believe that a "no name" coach couldn't be successful?

Get back to me on the rams saints and jets in 5 years.

The bucs won too in their first year. remember?

just a stupid point you made.

#26 : November 14, 2006, 01:06:44 PM

Quote from: 4Bucs
I think hes got a guaranteed contract thru 2009

Finally, an answer to the question.

if thats accurate theres no way in hell hes getting fired nor should he be......a rookie QB and a piss poor OL spell disaster for anybody.

This rookie qb and piss poor O-line was hand-picked by him. If not him, who is responsible?

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#27 : November 14, 2006, 01:16:14 PM

I think hes got a guaranteed contract thru 2009

Finally, an answer to the question.

if thats accurate theres no way in hell hes getting fired nor should he be......a rookie QB and a piss poor OL spell disaster for anybody.

This rookie qb and piss poor O-line was hand-picked by him. If not him, who is responsible?

This is true, but I won't blame a rookie for playing like a rookie. If Grads stays with the team beyind this season and does not improve, then I will say he doesn't have it.

And yes he hand-picked the o-line, but with the cap shape we've been in the past few years, it's kinda like telling someone to go into the apple orchard and pick out some nice ripe apples, but only letting them pick form the rotting, bug-infested fruit laying on the ground.

#28 : November 14, 2006, 01:20:43 PM

This is not an attack on you but I'm tired of hearing about the cap situation. The cap situation had nothing to do with the signings of Garner, Steussie, or Deese. If anything, it added to a bad cap situation.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#29 : November 14, 2006, 01:31:50 PM

This is not an attack on you but I'm tired of hearing about the cap situation. The cap situation had nothing to do with the signings of Garner, Steussie, or Deese. If anything, it added to a bad cap situation.

we're all tired of hearing of the cap situation. But the reason it comes up is because it WAS bad. Regardless what anyone else want to say to the contrary.

It's easy to say those 3 signings were bad in hindsight. Garner was a risk, but he was a playmaker in Oakland. He didn't even blow out his bad knee, he blew out his good one. That was unfortunate. Stuessie and especially Deese were considered top FAs that year. Deese was on a current record streak for not allowing a sack. Well all those guys tanked. It's not like every FO in the league is perfect. The Bucs tried to make one last push for a championship and it turned out to be a mistake. And it did hurt the cap. The FO learned from that has not made the mistakes again and have been more responsible, and for that I commend them. I think the Glazers know how bad of shape the team has been in from missing draft picks to cap problems and will give GruAllen a shot in 2007 to see what they do without all the restrictions.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What exactly is GruAllen's contract situation? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools