Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vatican official caught on tape wanting gay sex « previous next »
Page: 1 2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 18, 2007, 11:14:15 AM

You know, I just don't see the logic there. How is molesting a child more of an "out [that] they have" than breaking their vows with a consenting, adult woman (or man, for that matter)? None of those are in the least bit acceptable from the Church's point of view.

It is usually a sexually motivated molestation, and children are easier to control than adults.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 18, 2007, 11:16:25 AM

The vow of celibacy is a fairly uniquely Roman Catholic thing as far as Christians go at least.   I don't know that it's *completely* unique, but even certain other Catholic rites allow their clergy to marry.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 18, 2007, 11:20:40 AM

You know, I just don't see the logic there. How is molesting a child more of an "out [that] they have" than breaking their vows with a consenting, adult woman (or man, for that matter)? None of those are in the least bit acceptable from the Church's point of view.

It is usually a sexually motivated molestation, and children are easier to control than adults.

I think you're being silly if you think that priests don't have opportunites with adults though.  Even if you really want to limit things to predatory relationships, your average priest has plenty of interaction with emotionally vulnerable adult women.  Heck, I have an easier time believing in predatory relationships the other way (that is, I've known certain types of women who would find the idea of relations with a priest alluring specifically because it's forbidden) than I would an otherwise normal guy turning to children to relieve his urges.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#18 : October 18, 2007, 11:25:27 AM

I'm Baptist, but have many friends who are Catholics, and was accepted Christ while praying with a Catholic Priest.
I recently asked our local Catholic Priest his thoughts on the church as a whole and his comments were quite interesting.  He believes that people are finding harder now to take a vow of celibacy, causing a deficit in the number of Priests & Nuns world wide.  However, he believes that there is an increase in the number of homosexuals secretly becoming Priests to accomodate their lifestyle.  He believes that unless the Catholic church begins to recognize Priests & Nuns that can marry, the church will continue to lose strength in numbers.
Interstingly enough, This Priest actually lives with the Priest who resided over his school/church when he was 12 years old in L.A.  
Until Christians free themselves of the false doctrines that are associated, but not validated, by the Word of God, we will continue to hear of these types of stories and lose followers to other religions.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#19 : October 18, 2007, 11:28:24 AM

Well I think the issue is who do Priests have access to the most, #1 and #2 who isn't going to tell?

If you tell a woman you are having sex with that she isn't supposed to tell anyone, and she is an adult and consenting in your relationship and then you want to break it off with her what do you think she will do? Especially assuming she is an emotionally vulnerable person like you are saying, she'll tell. Then nomatter what happens it casts doubt on you and ultimately the truth comes out or it at least damages your reputation.

Children on the other hand, if you tell them not to tell probably won't. Also, they'll probably feel ashamed about it more than you do and so therefore they won't want to tell.

See what I mean?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 18, 2007, 11:29:27 AM

I think you're being silly if you think that priests don't have opportunites with adults though.

Did I say that  ???  No  ::)

acacius

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 18, 2007, 11:45:46 AM

Until Christians free themselves of the false doctrines that are associated, but not validated, by the Word of God, we will continue to hear of these types of stories and lose followers to other religions.

The Catholic rule of celibacy is disciplinary rather than doctrinal.  That is, perhaps, a subtle distinction, but an important one to the Church.  In 1 Corinthians 7, Paul talks of the virtue of unmarried men and women and how they are "solicitous for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please God."  As such, the Church prefers that its clergy take the vow of celibacy, that they may "attend upon the Lord without impediment".  There are, however, married Catholic priests (within the Latin rite, most typically ex-Episcopal priests, but there are other rites in full communion with Rome that routinely allow their clergy to marry), and it's a rule that the Church could reverse at any time.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 18, 2007, 11:47:41 AM

Well I think the issue is who do Priests have access to the most, #1 and #2 who isn't going to tell?

If you tell a woman you are having sex with that she isn't supposed to tell anyone, and she is an adult and consenting in your relationship and then you want to break it off with her what do you think she will do? Especially assuming she is an emotionally vulnerable person like you are saying, she'll tell. Then nomatter what happens it casts doubt on you and ultimately the truth comes out or it at least damages your reputation.

Children on the other hand, if you tell them not to tell probably won't. Also, they'll probably feel ashamed about it more than you do and so therefore they won't want to tell.

See what I mean?

For question 1, I would think adult women.  By far.

And I see what you mean with your second question, but I still can't imagine it making a difference with someone who would be attracted to adults otherwise.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 18, 2007, 12:03:32 PM

I think you're being silly if you think that priests don't have opportunites with adults though.

Did I say that  ???  No  ::)

That's fair.  You didn't.  I still can't buy your argument though.  Ultimately, I can't do anything other than try to put myself into the priest's shoes, and I just can't imagine any situation where I would turn to altar boys.  If I was that worried about being caught, well, Madame Palm would be a FAR more acceptable solution.  And I think you'd have to be sick well beyond anything caused by a vow of celibacy to do otherwise.

#24 : October 18, 2007, 12:19:00 PM

I think it's the vow of celibacy that attracts them. They feel enormous guilt over their pedophilia, and think that the vow will stop them from engaging in their desired deviant behavior... but it doesn't.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 18, 2007, 12:21:10 PM

is there really a higher percentage of child molesting priests than other professions?

you guys are quick to throw priests under the bus, but I bet percentage wise, there are the same amount of child molesting business men, bus drivers, fast food workers, unemployed slackers, etc, as there are priests.
You know what, I know I am not saying there aren't moronic, evil, need-to-be-beaten-down child molesters in all occupations...but what I am saying is that none of those guys are PRIESTS![/size]

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vatican official caught on tape wanting gay sex « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools