Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Blame Game « previous next »
Page: 1

gone

Hall of Famer
: November 14, 2006, 12:21:58 PM

Has begun.  Calling for Gruden's head is nothing new, it's been here since he won the superbowl "With Dungy's team".  People should really think about this though.

As far as things being on the coaches' shoulders, yes it should be for the most part.  Some of it they can't cotrol, but they still need to take the lion's share.  And that falls more on the position coaches than anything else.  The HC does not coach every detail, he can't micromanage a beast like this.  The HC CAN be held responsible for hiring/failing to fire a sub-par coach though.   

Right now our D has 2 position coaches who are as much rookies as Zemaitas.  Our Defensive issues are understandable.  Everyone seems toblame the players on Defense and the coaches on offense.   The D is old, slow, etc,.   That has almost nothing to do with it.  They didn't just drop from #1 to the cellar cuz they're a year older.  It was the coaching.  The 2 new coaches are learning this system still, just like any rookie player has to.  There's really nothing Gruden could have done to change this.  Rod was going, and so was Tomlin.  They weren't gonna stunt their own carreers by a year.  Between that and the injuries, and the depth, there isn't anything else you can expect.
So -- HC responsibility for D is minimal

Our O-Line coach is awful.  The O-line has gone nowhere.  Gru didn't hire Muir, and I wonder whether he really wanted him back when they gave that extension.  The Kromer move indicates they had serious doubts about that.  Gruden should have fired his butt if he had the ability.  I know everyone thinks he runs the whole show, but he doesn't.  He DOES have enormous leverage though, so I can't accept that he didn't use it to cut the guy.  Given that we saw iomprovement under the Kromer/Muir team, maybe he thought we were finally going somewhere
So -- HC responsibility for O-Line is about 6-7 out of possible 10

QB is where Jon's heart is position-wise, so he bears the blame there.  The whole QB carousel he has to take responsibility for.  You have to find a guy and stick with him.  But in his defense, he inherited Brad, and Brad collapsed, he lost his arm.  He tried out Robosack and King as backups, and wavered between Simms and Greise too long.  He DID seem to have finally settled (unhappily) on Simms last year, and if Chris had taken the contract they offered in the off-season, we wouldn't be talking about Grads right now as the future. If Simms had played anything other than God-Awful in those first games, we'd be talking about how losing your starter and your primary backup can destroy a team.  But Simms never clearly seized the starter job, and Jon was never clearly happy with him in it, so it looked like we were still desperately seeking a starter.  It would be different if we had lost a clear starter, but we didn't
So -- HC responsibility there is an 7-8 out of 10

Depth has been beaten to death here, but it's worth another look when you assign blame, because of the condition of the cap, draft picks, and circumstance.  We lost a LOT of picks just before the bowl and in getting Jon.  We also had to try and make a run at a repeat, so some (but not all) of the bad FA signings are understandable.  The focus on offense, given how long that unit was neglected, and how well the D was still performing, makes our draft priorities (not the players, but which round each unit got) perfectly understandable.  I know alotta people didn't want to see us change from a D oriented team, but that's what Jon was brought in to do.  The terrible draft/cap situation is in my mind the biggest reason I think Gru has another year here.  Dungy walked into a team that had drafted well with players on the side of the ball he excelled at.  Gru walked into one that had drafted poorly overall and the window was closing on those great players.  And the cap and picks made that worse.  A lot of this has to do with McKay, remember that Wyche had more input/authority on draftees than he liked, and Rich took over and started a long line of mediocre drafts and bad FA decisions, with only a few bright spots.

The big negative thing is that Jon didn't turn the O around before the D fell.  Given the above situation, it's understandable.  The question is: Is it excusable?

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 14, 2006, 02:00:32 PM

HC for the OL is a 10. He's drafting the guys on the line. He resigned Davis, passed on LOT candidates in the draft to keep him there. Buenning is his. Davin and True are obviously his. I can't stand Muir but Gruden is 100% responsible for him because if he doesn't like what he's doing he's had a bunch o' chances to fire him so talent and position coach are all on Gruden there.

On the $$

What really bothers me (outside of the little chunk of donut that just broke off in my coffee) is that Gruden doesn't seem to have a plan for this offense. Does he want to run? Does he want to pass? Is he forever going to let the defense dictate his playcalling?..

What the ph....?!

gone

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 14, 2006, 02:12:48 PM

HC for the OL is a 10. He's drafting the guys on the line. He resigned Davis, passed on LOT candidates in the draft to keep him there. Buenning is his. Davin and True are obviously his. I can't stand Muir but Gruden is 100% responsible for him because if he doesn't like what he's doing he's had a bunch o' chances to fire him so talent and position coach are all on Gruden there.

On the $$

What really bothers me (outside of the little chunk of donut that just broke off in my coffee) is that Gruden doesn't seem to have a plan for this offense. Does he want to run? Does he want to pass? Is he forever going to let the defense dictate his playcalling?..

What the ph....?!

Davin and True shouldn't be judged this early.  I blame Jon for Muir, not for the poor play of the Line.  That's why his responsibility isn't a 10. 

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 14, 2006, 02:23:52 PM

Davin and True shouldn't be judged this early. I blame Jon for Muir, not for the poor play of the Line. That's why his responsibility isn't a 10.

That's fair.

I agree, Muir is useless.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Blame Game « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools