Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Government School gives contraception to 11 yr olds « previous next »
Page: 1 2

TURBO

Hall of Famer

: October 20, 2007, 08:22:36 PM

Does not being a parent decrease one's observation skills?

nice smartass comment, as usual...

the answer to your witty comeback, no, I'm just wondering if someone with that outlook is a parent himself?

#1 : October 20, 2007, 06:46:39 PM

Does not being a parent decrease one's observation skills?

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 20, 2007, 06:20:54 PM

That would be the next thing... First you go ape. Then you thank god she used a condom. Then you try to blame whoever you think provoked your daughter to do it. You blame the sex-ed teacher. You blame the school. You blame the media or TV programs... You also blame the 13 year old boyfriend.

But never do you blame your little girl. She's an angel who can do no wrong and would never do something like this! She must have been corrupted by someone! Typical parental mentality....your child can do no wrong.

are you a parent?

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 20, 2007, 04:32:18 PM

That would be the next thing... First you go ape. Then you thank god she used a condom. Then you try to blame whoever you think provoked your daughter to do it. You blame the sex-ed teacher. You blame the school. You blame the media or TV programs... You also blame the 13 year old boyfriend.

But never do you blame your little girl. She's an angel who can do no wrong and would never do something like this! She must have been corrupted by someone! Typical parental mentality....your child can do no wrong.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 20, 2007, 09:38:43 AM

but the whole scenario smacks of encouraging immature children to have sex, which IMO is fundamentally wrong

You think that encourages kids to have sex?  Have you seen what is on T.V., internet, magazine covers (eg Sex 101), etc lately?  Talk about being saturated by sexual material that even overwhelms adults!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 20, 2007, 09:08:22 AM

To quote the father in the movie - Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood,  "Never wear a condom.   It takes away all of the feelin'".

spartan

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 20, 2007, 08:47:20 AM

lololo, my reference to God was not literal so don't get confused about that. Just a phrase. Yes I would be grateful that the chance of pregnancy is reduced but the whole scenario smacks of encouraging immature children to have sex, which IMO is fundamentally wrong.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 20, 2007, 12:00:22 PM

I was in the process of responding when this question popped into my mind.

You come home and find your 11 yr old daughter having sex with the 14 yr old neighbor, are you going to go ape or thank God the school provided the condoms at recess?

I would imagine most people would go ape, AND be thankful the kids used a condom.  I never had any problems getting condoms from around 14-years-old, so you couldn't blame the school for the actions of your daughter.

#8 : October 19, 2007, 09:49:00 PM

You come home and find your 11 yr old daughter having sex with the 14 yr old neighbor, are you going to go ape or thank God the school provided the condoms at recess?
both

Which one is going to be more effective?

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 19, 2007, 09:07:13 PM

JG's both is correct ...... although I'm pretty sure God wouldn't be the one responsible.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 19, 2007, 05:13:32 PM

both

spartan

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 19, 2007, 04:28:46 PM

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 19, 2007, 11:48:20 PM

both

Which one is going to be more effective?

I am pretty sure that catching my 11 year old daughter in such a situation is not going to be conducive to rationally weighing the effectiveness of my next action.

So go ape first, then after disposing of any neighborboy body parts, being thankful for free condoms and good defense attorneys.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 18, 2007, 07:31:09 PM

My wife was watching this story on TV this evening.  They had a clip of parents at a meeting, and one guy stood up and said once this was passed at the school he is taking his kids out.  My wife, who deals with teenage pregnancies regularly, first comment was: "what an ignorant man". 

Bottom line is no matter how old we think it is appropriate to be sexually active, and no matter how much you want to control your kids, it is not a bad idea to have a safety net like this for the kids that have already decided they are going to be sexually active.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 18, 2007, 07:23:33 PM

I don't say what you say is wrong MJ, but I take umbridge at the School Authority, aka the Government, arbitrarily deciding what is right for MY child, regardless of if I agree with their decision or not. I know Govt make decisions I don't like on a daily basis in terms of policy, taxes and laws etc, but unless I am abusing my child I do no think they have the right to come into my house and subvert my authority. I don't live in Maine as you know, so this particular decision does not effect me or my children, but it strikes me as so atypical of the way Govt is doing. All morality aside, though I would hazard a guess most 11 yr olds who are not physically or mentally prepared for sexual activity, and I know we all like to explore when we are young, (God knows I think I was more lucky than careful), but IMO if you promote irresponsible behavior you will get irresponsible behavior.

Well in this case the parents have to be give consent, so the authorities aren't undermining anyones parenting.

"Parental permission required
Condoms have been available since 2000 to King students who have parental permission to be treated at its student health center.

I have just found out some more information about this which makes it much worse, and the article is very misleading.  I am not sure if the article is intended to mislead, deep down I doubt it, but the parents sign up to use the School Medical Center. i.e. go to the Nurse. Once they have done that, they can be given contraception WITHOUT the parents knowledge. Also, the decision was made because 5, yes 5, students said they were sexually active. I haven't found out what an 11 yr old deems as 'sexually active', but it seems to be that that is a bit of an over-reaction!

With regards to the abstinence thing, no disrespect but I think you totally miss the point Cyber, but, that aside, do you honestly think you ought to apply that train of thought to an 11 yr old?
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Government School gives contraception to 11 yr olds « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools