Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Government School gives contraception to 11 yr olds « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 18, 2007, 06:40:31 PM

It's been proven over and over and over again... Abstinence education does not work. Kids with any brain at all laugh at it. I mean I did when I was a kid.

If you tell a teen they can't have a condom, then they will have sex anyway without the condom. The condom has nothing to do with their decision to do it or not.

Sgt.Shultz

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 18, 2007, 08:45:40 PM

Ok I am not here to stir up anything but seriously, I hate it when generation after generation of "parents" come into play and clearly are being hypocrits to what they say to their kids. Clearly when they were growing up they were participating in sexual activity and drugs and alcohol. I do, my friends do, every social teen does. Parents need to not lecture to their kids that they shouldnt have sex but instead tell them to prevent all the bad consequences to the action. Besides if you got a local grocery store with a self checkout aisle, condoms are pretty easy to buy w/o the emotional awkwardness of having a 65 year old woman scan them across the lazer o.O

spartan

Hall of Famer
#17 : October 18, 2007, 11:38:24 AM

PORTLAND, Maine - Pupils at a city middle school will be able to get birth control pills and patches at their student health center after the local school board approved the proposal Wednesday evening.

The plan, offered by city health officials, makes King Middle School the first middle school in Maine to make a full range of contraception available to students in grades 6 through 8, according to the state Department of Health and Human Services.

There are no national figures on how many middle schools, where most students range in age from 11 to 13, provide such services.

“It’s very rare that middle schools do this,” said Divya Mohan, a spokeswoman for the National Assembly on School-Based Health Care.

The Portland School Committee voted 7-2 for the measure.

Chairman John Coyne voted against it, saying he felt providing the birth control was a parental responsibility. The other no vote came from Ben Meiklejohn, who said the consent form does not clearly define the services being offered.

Opponents cited religious and health objections.

Diane Miller said she felt the plan was against religion and against God. Another opponent, Peter Doyle, said he felt it violated the rights of parents and puts students at risk of cancer because of hormones in the pill.

A supporter, Richard Verrier, said it’s not enough to depend on parents to protect their children because there may be students who can’t discuss things with their parents.

Parental permission required
Condoms have been available since 2000 to King students who have parental permission to be treated at its student health center.

About one-fourth of student health centers that serve at least one grade of adolescents 11 and older dispense some form of contraception, said Mohan, whose Washington-based organization represents more than 1,700 school-based centers nationwide.

At King Middle School, birth control prescriptions will be given after a student undergoes a physical exam by a physician or nurse practitioner, said Lisa Belanger, who oversees Portland’s student health centers.

Students treated at the centers must first get written parental permission, but under state law such treatment is confidential, and students decide for themselves whether to tell their parents about the services they receive.

Five of the 134 students who visited King’s health center during the 2006-07 school year reported having sexual intercourse, said Amanda Rowe, lead nurse in Portland’s school health centers.

A high school in Topeka, Kan., stopped providing free condoms to students Wednesday after district officials learned of the month-old program. The district has a policy against providing contraceptives.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21358971/

Questions:

1. Since when did the Government become responsible for birth control?

2. What in the hell are they doing giving it to 11 yr olds, especially without the knowledge of the parents?

3. What parents are going to sign a permission slip to say 'yes please give my 11 yr old the pill/condom'?

4. Feel happy now if you send your kids to Government schools? It's frightening!

Edit: Additional question.

Do you have any confidence that if a child goes to the Nurse or whoever is controlling this, they will turn him/her down because they haven't got a signed permission slip?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 18, 2007, 11:42:15 AM

WOW, that is pretty young. 

In the UK any kid over 13-years-old can get free contraception from family planning clinics.  Once a kid decides they need contraception it is way too late for any parent to be involved.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#19 : October 18, 2007, 11:47:13 AM

My Niece claimed to be raped by a friend at age 13, but admitted to having sex prior to this.  This was absolutely flooring to my wife and I.
I'm all for allowing these kids access to contraceptives.  The last thing a 13 year needs to worry about is his/her one year olds college funds.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 18, 2007, 11:49:12 AM

4. Feel happy now if you send your kids to Government schools? It's frightening!

You have got to be kidding.  The schools in our area are zero tolerance and the kids are like a bunch of programmed droids.  My kid is in high school and he says there is no bullying or fighting in school or on the way home……..talk about taking the fun out of growing up.

BTW - there is a girl on our road who is in the last year of middle school, and her parents have a few problems with her.  She is always sneaking off with boys, sometimes late at night.  She has always gone to a private catholic school.

Edit: Additional question.

Do you have any confidence that if a child goes to the Nurse or whoever is controlling this, they will turn him/her down because they haven't got a signed permission slip?

If my kid was after condoms I would hope they would give them to him anyway.  The consequences of him not having them are even more worrying.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#21 : October 18, 2007, 12:10:28 PM

My point is that isn't this a parental responsibility?

#22 : October 18, 2007, 12:14:21 PM

Yes, but one that's being ignored by a lot of parents.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 18, 2007, 12:51:25 PM

Reaching sexual maturity and becoming sexually active isn’t something many young people like to share with their parents.  If a young person is serious about contraception it is probably better if they have easy access to it.

How young is the right time to become sexually active?  In most countries the age of consent is 16-years-old, some are even younger.  We all know kids want to test the boundaries and do things early than they should so it is safe to say many kids are active well before they reach 16.

As a parent of a boy I would prefer he abstained until he was at least 18-years-old.  If I had a girl I would probably be in favor of abstaining until she was at least 26-years-old.  :o  What we want as parents isn’t always how it works out.  You can only guide your children and equip them with all the knowledge necessary to make sound decisions.

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 18, 2007, 01:14:19 PM

I don't have a problem with condoms, but the pill or patch could have adverse medical effects, especially with an 11 or 12 year old.  If an 11 year old girl has an adverse reaction to a patch that the school gave her, without parental consent, there will be hell to pay.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 18, 2007, 01:57:21 PM

Reaching sexual maturity and becoming sexually active isn’t something many young people like to share with their parents.  If a young person is serious about contraception it is probably better if they have easy access to it.

How young is the right time to become sexually active?  In most countries the age of consent is 16-years-old, some are even younger.  We all know kids want to test the boundaries and do things early than they should so it is safe to say many kids are active well before they reach 16.

As a parent of a boy I would prefer he abstained until he was at least 18-years-old.  If I had a girl I would probably be in favor of abstaining until she was at least 26-years-old.  :o  What we want as parents isn’t always how it works out .  You can only guide your children and equip them with all the knowledge necessary to make sound decisions.

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

I don't say what you say is wrong MJ, but I take umbridge at the School Authority, aka the Government, arbitrarily deciding what is right for MY child, regardless of if I agree with their decision or not. I know Govt make decisions I don't like on a daily basis in terms of policy, taxes and laws etc, but unless I am abusing my child I do no think they have the right to come into my house and subvert my authority. I don't live in Maine as you know, so this particular decision does not effect me or my children, but it strikes me as so atypical of the way Govt is doing. All morality aside, though I would hazard a guess most 11 yr olds who are not physically or mentally prepared for sexual activity, and I know we all like to explore when we are young, (God knows I think I was more lucky than careful), but IMO if you promote irresponsible behavior you will get irresponsible behavior.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 18, 2007, 02:02:39 PM

I don't say what you say is wrong MJ, but I take umbridge at the School Authority, aka the Government, arbitrarily deciding what is right for MY child, regardless of if I agree with their decision or not. I know Govt make decisions I don't like on a daily basis in terms of policy, taxes and laws etc, but unless I am abusing my child I do no think they have the right to come into my house and subvert my authority. I don't live in Maine as you know, so this particular decision does not effect me or my children, but it strikes me as so atypical of the way Govt is doing. All morality aside, though I would hazard a guess most 11 yr olds who are not physically or mentally prepared for sexual activity, and I know we all like to explore when we are young, (God knows I think I was more lucky than careful), but IMO if you promote irresponsible behavior you will get irresponsible behavior.

Well in this case the parents have to be give consent, so the authorities aren't undermining anyones parenting.

"Parental permission required
Condoms have been available since 2000 to King students who have parental permission to be treated at its student health center.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Government School gives contraception to 11 yr olds « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools