Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When it comes to fans, Tampa wins easily (article) « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 26, 2007, 03:44:31 PM

Jacksonville isn't a football town, it will always be considered an expansion team...

Yes it is...but it's a college football town.  The town is full of Gator fans that have to get their football fix by going to Jags games to pass the time until the last weekend of October.  They had to ADD seats in the stadium for the UGA/UF game.  But they don't care enough about NFL, especially when their college team is winning, and their pro team is not.  They would rather take their money and spend it on making the hour and a half drive to Gainesville for home Gator games.

Having lived in Jacksonville before, I can attest to every word this guy says.  They are spoiled to the fullest.  You should hear some of their local sports radio.  The Jags cannot do anything right.  They don't support their team at all.  I know three die-hard Jags fans, and they can also agree with this article (one did, as he is my roommate and I showed him this).  That team better win a Super Bowl soon, or they will become the LA Jaguars.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 26, 2007, 05:21:36 PM

Miami is not a football town. Miami is worse than Jacksonville. You can ALWAYS get tickets to their games no matter what. In 2002 they hosted a divisional playoff game after earning a bye in the 1st round. They couldn't sell out. It was all over the news down there. They were begging fans to come out and support the team. They were practically giving away tickets and nobody was coming to get them.

Jacksonville's superbowl should have told everybody that they aren't ready for a team. They had to house people on cruise ships because there weren't enough places to stay. The road systems up there are horrible too. I used to travel to work up there for a bit. I hated driving(sitting in traffic) there. I do like their stadium though.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

gump

Starter

#17 : October 26, 2007, 05:42:00 PM

Miami is the worst sports market in the country...no question.  I think about half of the blackouts last year were from the Dolphins.

5.5 Million people though...and a team that sells well and is recognizable nationally...make it more attractive that quite a few markets.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#18 : October 26, 2007, 07:14:19 PM

Miami is not a football town. Miami is worse than Jacksonville. You can ALWAYS get tickets to their games no matter what. In 2002 they hosted a divisional playoff game after earning a bye in the 1st round. They couldn't sell out. It was all over the news down there. They were begging fans to come out and support the team. They were practically giving away tickets and nobody was coming to get them.

Imagine what it must be like now after 4 years of failure and an 0-7 start!!

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#19 : October 26, 2007, 07:26:48 PM

Miami is the worst sports market in the country...no question.  I think about half of the blackouts last year were from the Dolphins.

5.5 Million people though...and a team that sells well and is recognizable nationally...make it more attractive that quite a few markets.

I disagree...if that were true, they'd be thinking about moving the Dolphins, but they haven't even been in the conversation as far as that goes.  Before Katrina, there was huge talk about it either being the Saints or the Jaguars that will most likely move in a few years.  Now that we all know moving the Saints is out, the Jaguars are the front runners.  Wayne Weaver has fought to keep them there, but I'm not sure how long it's gonna last.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 26, 2007, 08:36:53 PM

To say the Bucs aren't in the top quartile is a tough criticism, HM. The success of national teams like the Redskins, Giants, Cowboys, Packers etc. is built on mythology: NFL Films propaganda of cold-weather victories, John Facenda narration, old-time smashmouth football. The Bucs are still only in their 32nd season. There are a lot of fourth generation fans of the teams I mentioned, but mostly just early SECOND generation Bucs fans. Much of the national media is guys in their 40's and 50's. Those guys mostly became NFL fans before the Bucs existed, so they don't get a fair shake in polls, analysis, etc.
Furthermore, Tampa-St. Pete is not really a major market, certainly not when compared to New York, Philly, Chicago. Green Bay doesn't fit this bill because there is NOTHING to do there outside of rooting for the Packers. Fans across the country have bought into the ''Frozen Tundra'' propaganda bit and jumped on the Lombardi bandwagon, which has been the Favre bandwagon for 15 years.
The Bucs are on their way. A few superstars and some more time and they'll be a bit higher on the popularity scale.

In Verner We Trust

BUCarino

Pro Bowler

#21 : October 26, 2007, 09:09:21 PM

Jacksonville isn't a football town, it will always be considered an expansion team... the same goes for the Devil Rays, who will never have respect as a Major League baseball team... Dolphins and Tampa... clearly football towns... its a shame too because the Jacksonville stadium is nicer than Ray J... at least the club area is.... the Tampa club area is beyond ridiculous with crowds and the noise level in there.. I cant fathom why there are so many people there, when the club seats are full of people... and a single ticket is $350 EVERY GAME, even pre season.. its a rip off

UH????  The two stadiums are the exact same carbon copy stadiums of one another!  They had the same HOK architects and the same builders.  How can one be nicer then the other?  I do like where Jacksonvilles stadium sits compared to Ray Jay as it's very close to their riverwalk area.

"Life's too short not to live in caution,
But life's too long not to live at all!"

BUCarino

Pro Bowler

#22 : October 26, 2007, 09:12:53 PM

What's scary is I might actually be relocating to Jacksonville from Tampa very soon.  If I get this promotion taking over our Jacksonville office I will be doing so.  It will be worth it, but I will not be happy leaving Tampa. :(  It will be a long way to come to setup my tailgate site every home game! ;)

"Life's too short not to live in caution,
But life's too long not to live at all!"

gump

Starter

#23 : October 27, 2007, 09:00:03 PM

Miami is the worst sports market in the country...no question. I think about half of the blackouts last year were from the Dolphins.

I disagree...if that were true, they'd be thinking about moving the Dolphins, but they haven't even been in the conversation as far as that goes. Before Katrina, there was huge talk about it either being the Saints or the Jaguars that will most likely move in a few years. Now that we all know moving the Saints is out, the Jaguars are the front runners. Wayne Weaver has fought to keep them there, but I'm not sure how long it's gonna last.

You disagree with what?  Facts are facts...half the blackouts last year were from Miami.  Listen to talk radio down there...all they talk about is the NY Giants.  The Marlins had 375 people at a game a few weeks ago.  It's a joke of a sports town...

I agree they won't move...for the reasons I stated...5.5 million people, a top 5 TV market, and Huizenga being the leading reasons.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 28, 2007, 10:52:04 PM

After tonight, and all my experiences at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium...I must say that Jaguar fans are the worst winners in football.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When it comes to fans, Tampa wins easily (article) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools