Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Dewayne White/Simeon Rice Stat-O-Meter « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #30 : November 02, 2007, 12:35:09 PM »

How is there no reason to ask him to take a pay cut?  They paid him his money for many seasons while he was playing at a high level even though the team could have used some cap help.  While his cap number stayed the same, great players like Brooks, Quarles, and many others were taking PAYCUTS to help this team and stay on board.  When Rice wasn't going to be able to play the entire season and may never be the same they asked him to take a pay cut, which was still more then he is getting now, to stay with the team.  Heis monster ego got in the way and he was released. 

I really wan't to know what experts are talking about Adams that way?  Buenning, the Trib, and th Times?  There are some experts to listen to. 

There's no reason they can't ask him, but you don't approach him like they did. Telling him on the 1st day of camp and giving him an ultimatum and giving him 2 hours or whatever to decide is not how to handle the situation. Then cutting him first thing instead of trying to work out an extension that was benificial to both parties isn't the right way to handle the situation IMO. It's great that Brooks took a restructure. Doesn't mean everyone has to. Rice produced bigtime when healthy. He helped bring up Ellis Wymms and could have helped with Adams. Again, if they cap money was available and we didn't spend it anyway then what's the problem with keeping him. The Glazers have plenty of money. Did they lower beer prices?...NO!

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

« #31 : November 02, 2007, 12:42:12 PM »

How do you know that is how it went down?  How do you know they didn't talk to him a while back and tell him if he wasn't ready to go at the first day of camp they wanted a reduced salary?  Are you in the loop?  Rice is NOT producing right now, he isn't even producing at a rookie level.  He MAY be done!

As for the pass rush, who were we supposed to bring in?  Where were all the star DE's in this past offseasons FA?  You have to look at what you can get on the market before you throw around comments.  You have to look at the entire story not just what fits into your line of thinking.  The increased cap cause FA's to go after big money and cause most of the top players that were going to hit the market to get Tagged.  Do you think we would still be sitting on that money if Freeney had hit the market. 

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #32 : November 02, 2007, 12:45:30 PM »

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
« #33 : November 02, 2007, 01:06:15 PM »

Why do people continue to respond to such assinine drivel?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #34 : November 02, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »

I don't know, but I like when SR did.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

« #35 : November 02, 2007, 01:16:19 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bucs/2007-07-26-bucs-release-rice_N.htm

Simeon rice, the leagues premier sack artist over the last five years gets a 5 year $41 million contract in 2003 after leading the Buccaneers to the Super Bowl. Gaines Adams, the 4th overall pick with no professional sacks, get a 6 year $48 million contract. Idiots on PewterReport.com call Bruce Allen a genius and cap guru while ignoring the facts. Cutting Simeon Rice still cost us a ton against the cap this year.

Contracts:

Simeon Rice-Would have been last year of 5 year $41 Million contract set to pay him $7.25 Million.
Gaines Adams-6 year $48 Million contract with 18.56 Million guaranteed..
Dewayne White-5 year $29 Million contract with Detroit with $13 Million guaranteed.

BornaBuc - You don't know what you are talking about regarding Rice, so I'm not sure who the idiot is. The Bucs took a cap hit of approximately $3.2 million and freed up $7.2 million (his base salary) by releasing Rice. His cap value was supposed to be just over $10.4 million in 2007.

How is saving $7.2 million out of $10.4 million and spending only $3.2 million "a ton against the cap?" The Bucs saved $7.2 million any way you cut it and released an aging veteran that hasn't done squat with a bum shoulder this year.

My new favorite post!

PewterReportJF

Hall of Famer

« #36 : November 02, 2007, 01:18:34 PM »

BornaBuc - After he failed his phycial with the team due to a lingering shoulder problem, Simeon Rice was asked by the Bucs to reduce his base salary from $7.25 million to approximately $5 million and sign a one-year contract extension, which would have made him a Buc through 2008. Rice declined, so the Bucs decided to release him. He wound up signing a one-year deal in Denver worth about $3 million. Last time I checked, he was still looking for his first sack and his shoulder was an ongoing ailment.

Regarding Dewayne White, the Bucs wanted to re-sign him, but they felt he was overpaid by Detroit, which gave him a five-year, $29 million deal. The Bucs just got themselves out of cap hell and aren't willing to overpay for players, even good ones, at the risk of putting themselves back in cap hell. In hindsight, Dewayne White is playing well as a pass rusher, but he's not doing much to help Detroit's run defense, which ranks 28th overall and 18th against the run.

That said, I think one can still make an argument for why the Bucs should have re-signed White, but it would have been a risky signing as White was inconsistent in Tampa Bay.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #37 : November 02, 2007, 01:20:12 PM »

There are waaaaaay too many facts in that post, JF...he will not be able to compute them.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

« #38 : November 02, 2007, 01:24:25 PM »

Yeah, the PR staff vs. BornaBuc...now we're talkin'. ;)

BornaBuc - After he failed his phycial with the team due to a lingering shoulder problem, Simeon Rice was asked by the Bucs to reduce his base salary from $7.25 million to approximately $5 million and sign a one-year contract extension, which would have made him a Buc through 2008. Rice declined, so the Bucs decided to release him. He wound up signing a one-year deal in Denver worth about $3 million. Last time I checked, he was still looking for his first sack and his shoulder was an ongoing ailment.

I'm sure Simeon would like as few people as possible to see the info in this paragraph.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

« #39 : November 02, 2007, 02:40:39 PM »

I think it is also important to note that Kiffin after spending several years tutoring/training White decided that he was not worth the money.  Also, don't believe for a second that this was all Allen/Gruden in making that decision.  Is White having a good year?  Yes and No, he has put up decent numbers but nothing special, after being in the league for as long as he has he should be putting up more.  He has also most likely hit his head on the roof of his ability.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

« #40 : November 02, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »

Did I miss something? Is our D-line is so dominant that we should throw mud in the eyes of past players, let Adams start to play at the very least like a high 2nd round pick before we start to dog other teams players. BTW I could care less about Mario Williams because he is on the same boat as Adams. Lets compare Grad's to all the QB bust's, lets compare Caddy to the RB bust's. I don't care who is worse, the fact is we get no production from Adam's, other than plays of circumstance.

« #41 : November 02, 2007, 07:28:22 PM »

Did I miss something? Is our D-line is so dominant that we should throw mud in the eyes of past players, let Adams start to play at the very least like a high 2nd round pick before we start to dog other teams players.

Nobody was "throwing mud in his eyes" until a certain idiot tried to rub him in their faces. Try to have some perspective.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

« #42 : November 02, 2007, 09:50:52 PM »

Regarding Dewayne White, the Bucs wanted to re-sign him, but they felt he was overpaid by Detroit, which gave him a five-year, $29 million deal. The Bucs just got themselves out of cap hell and aren't willing to overpay for players, even good ones, at the risk of putting themselves back in cap hell. In hindsight, Dewayne White is playing well as a pass rusher, but he's not doing much to help Detroit's run defense, which ranks 28th overall and 18th against the run.

That said, I think one can still make an argument for why the Bucs should have re-signed White, but it would have been a risky signing as White was inconsistent in Tampa Bay.

I appreciate your response. I know that you cannot respond with your opinions but that doesn't mean I can't. Thanks for the info though. So here goes...

Does Cap hell equal playoffs every year? Does cap hell equal a trip to the Super Bowl and a victory? Does cap hell equal the best group of players we've ever had including Lynch, Sapp, Barber, Brooks, Kelly, Rice, Johnson, Johnson, JJ, McCardell, etc...? I'll take that any day over what we have now. Cap hell in the Gruden era includes an attempt to dismantle our team and turn them into the Raiders of the East which failed miserably because the Coach couldn't take the "He won with Dungy's team" comparisons. When can we be in cap hell again?

Dwight Freeney has 18 total tackles with 3.5 sacks and 4 FFs. Maybe he should be asked to take a paycut?

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

mjpwooo

Pro Bowler

« #43 : November 02, 2007, 10:11:50 PM »

and Dewayne White's best game came against a RT (Trueblood) that had a nasty stomach virus.  He can stay in Detriot.  When we play them again in the playoffs and we run the ball right up his butt, then all will be back to normal.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #44 : November 02, 2007, 10:12:14 PM »

Cap hell is going through seasons paying for players who are no longer there.  Cap hell is paying for players who are not even any good.  I thank Rich McKay for a lot of those things.  I thank Gruden for the Super Bowl.

Can we think this through again?

Sapp is not on the pay roll.  Nor responsible for cap hell.  Lynch is not responsible for cap hell.  And no longer here.  BArber is not responsible for cap hell, and is still productive.  Keyshawn was a cancer, and is not responsible for cap hell.  McCardell reneged on a deal he signed, which was cap friendly, and Gruden gave him the boot.  Good for him.  Rice WAS a part of the cap hell, and when he refused to take a pay cut because he was lying through his greasy teeth about not being hurt, and indeed is banged up and not playing worth a crap, was a smart move to prevent poor fiscal management.  Gaines looks like a stud compared to Rice this year.  Brooks has taken pay cut after pay cut, and while noble, is clearly on the downslide.  But not a part of cap hell.

Cap hell comes when McKay traded the farm to get Gruden, gave away BIG draft picks, and came away with a Super Bowl.  Gruden was the guy who pushed the Bucs over the top.  Gruden knew the scheme the Raiders were running, because he DESIGNED them...Lynch even said it was like they knew what they were calling.  

Cap hell is Steussie, Garner, Deese.  That is cap hell.  Cap hell is no first round picks to rebuild.  

Jesus, can anyone be that stupid?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Dewayne White/Simeon Rice Stat-O-Meter « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools