Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No more Simms: Do you want to be let down again? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#90 : November 15, 2006, 02:39:35 PM

Chris Simms=Win this week on MNF
He would have nailed those deep balls

Really? Then how do you explain Simms incomplete deep three times to Galloway in game 3 against these same Panthers?

#91 : November 15, 2006, 02:41:32 PM

Chris Simms=Win this week on MNF
He would have nailed those deep balls

Really? Then how do you explain Simms incomplete deep three times to Galloway in game 3 against these same Panthers?

Alligator arms...watch the games again on Tivo...yes there were some passes that were missed. However Chris did hit the majority of them in stride onkly to watch them hit the ground. The WR were not sharp and really still arnt

escobar

Hall of Famer

#92 : November 15, 2006, 02:44:43 PM

My main point is that in the NFL, as every single poster on this forum knows, you only get so many opportunities a game. These deep balls we are missing out on with Grads in there are HUGE plays. If you mess them up, as we consistently have, you aren't going to win many games. With Simms in there, IF the Carolina game would have led to more consistent play from him had he not got injured, I believe this season would be looking much different.

Now I'm not going to say the defense has quit on this team, but how motivated can they possibly be? I know there is the whole "professionalism" argument as to why players should play with pride every single snap, but human nature makes that very difficult. You see your offense going 3 and out more than any other team in the league, you see several huge plays a game getting wasted with inaccurate throws. That HAS to take away some of your motivation for the game. Not to mention the fact that with all the 3 and outs the defense is probably absolutely dead in the second half of games. If more of these big plays had been converted it could have changed everything. The running game could have opened up more, the defense could have rested longer, and we obviously would have scored more points. I realize it's not a given that Simms would have connected on all of these throws, but I don't think anyone can argue that the chances are much higher with him than with Grads.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#93 : November 15, 2006, 02:47:50 PM

Ah.  If only we could give Simms Gradkowskis chutzpah, and Gradkowski Simm's physicality.

Since we live in the land of confusion these days, there is a lot of blame to be spread around, and there are going to be guys who think Grads is the answer (not me).  And guys who think Simms is a waste of talent in this offense.

I would have liked to see what Simms would have done for an entire season (since so many of us seem hell bent on not asessing anything until an entire season has run its course...and that is the defense of Grads).  But we won't see it.

I can only hope Simms gets resigned, because he has great talent, and if Gruden does get the axe, and a new OC comes into town, maybe Simms will be the guy who gets the snaps in a shotgun, in an offense more suited to his needs.  No knock on Grads, because he has manned the ship as well as expected (not that great, but he is a rook), and I hope he flourishes because I am a Buc fan.  But in my view, I just don't see Gradkowski being a guy that can get the job done week in and week out.  We can talk about timing, about batted passes, about arm strength, etc...but for some reason, I see him as a Shaun King type, and a guy who won't throw in the flats too often because if Griese could not do it, he sure can't do it either.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#94 : November 15, 2006, 02:48:47 PM

Alligator arms...watch the games again on Tivo...yes there were some passes that were missed. However Chris did hit the majority of them in stride onkly to watch them hit the ground. The WR were not sharp and really still arnt

And Gradkowski was victimized multiple times in the game vs NYG by big time drops, and what should have been a solid comeback victory against the Saints was blown by special teams allowing Reggie Bush to run back a punt for a TD. Simms may have a prettier deep ball, but he was also intercepted at an alarming rate. You can't simply pick and choose parts of his game and say because of that one aspect he would have beaten this team or that team.

Therefore, there really isn't much basis to say uncategorically that had Simms played on MNF the Bucs would have won.

#95 : November 15, 2006, 03:00:27 PM

And Gradkowski was victimized multiple times in the game vs NYG by big time drops, and what should have been a solid comeback victory against the Saints was blown by special teams allowing Reggie Bush to run back a punt for a TD. Simms may have a prettier deep ball, but he was also intercepted at an alarming rate. You can't simply pick and choose parts of his game and say because of that one aspect he would have beaten this team or that team.

Therefore, there really isn't much basis to say uncategorically that had Simms played on MNF the Bucs would have won.

Yes this is a point that I am making. I think the WR on this team have not stepped up to the plate. Galloway is doing better but Clayton, Hilliard...etc have been horrible. I am waiting patiently for the day Stovall gets his shot with Paris Warren.

I was thinking WOW when we went down field last night and even on the INT's I was like I really dont mind the INT's in the endzone as much because at least Gradkowski was trying to make a play.

Hense Simms I think his best footall is still ahead of him. He will throw the INT however at least he is trying to make an agressive play. I am for the high % passes but when you are called upon for a go freaking route hit the guy in stide

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#96 : November 15, 2006, 03:02:52 PM

His INTs were not usually from errant deep passes.

Bounces of of feet, blocked passes at the LOS, slinging a twenty yarder into Chris McCalisters arm, a quick out to Clayton.

His deep balls were prettier, and they are actually more effective, and that is the entire basis of this argument.

The only thing GRads has over Simms, IMO, is an ability to run for 5 yards.

What happens if GRuden gets fired?  Do the Bucs run the WeCoOf again?  Not likely.  And in that instance, I would rather see Simms in a shotgun.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#97 : November 15, 2006, 03:08:33 PM

That, and a quicker release, and the ability to make faster decisions, and a better understanding of the offense, and...

People make the mistake of looking only at the physical attributes of one QB vs the other, ignoring the mental part of the game which is far more important from a coaching perspective.

#98 : November 15, 2006, 03:09:00 PM

Maybe Gruden at the end of this year will sit back and think for the second.....
:o and come to some realizations....who was the Quarterback of this football team when we were in the superbowl? Brad Johnson
Who ran this offense to their second winning season and was basically coached by Brad Johnson during his first two years- Chris Simms.
Who knows this offense better than everyone out there on the Market- Chris Simms.

Since leaving the Oakland Raiders how many mobile Quarterbacks have I had a winning season with?
ZERO

BucsAddict

Starter

#99 : November 15, 2006, 03:21:59 PM

That, and a quicker release, and the ability to make faster decisions, and a better understanding of the offense, and..

People make the mistake of looking only at the physical attributes of one QB vs the other, ignoring the mental part of the game which is far more important from a coaching perspective.

you crack me up

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#100 : November 15, 2006, 03:23:07 PM

you crack me up

Cool, funny but true.

#101 : November 15, 2006, 03:25:42 PM

I just have to say. I think the kid should get the chance to come back and try to beat out Gradkowski for the job.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#102 : November 15, 2006, 03:26:08 PM

Bounces of of feet, blocked passes at the LOS, slinging a twenty yarder into Chris McCalisters arm, a quick out to Clayton.

His deep balls were prettier, and they are actually more effective, and that is the entire basis of this argument.

What happens if GRuden gets fired?  Do the Bucs run the WeCoOf again?  Not likely.  And in that instance, I would rather see Simms in a shotgun.

and a qucker drop, release, decision-making, etc.

I'm not sure how anyone can sit here and say differently. Every concern about Grads is fixable, Simms problems aren't and huge red flags.

I couldn't believe the difference in pace to this offense once Grads was running it. Totally different speed, not so deliberate.

gone

Hall of Famer
#103 : November 15, 2006, 03:32:50 PM

Simms played horribly early, you can't realisticaly deny that.  I'm not certain if he came back today that we'd do any better.  Probably a little, but not tons.  He's never gonna be that elite QB.  The fact that there is even a question whether we would be improved by his return indicates a problem.  When a 4th year guy with a cannon arm only gets marginally (if any) more production over a rookie with a less than strong arm, there's a big problem...
If we could create a Simms-Grads hybrid, we'd be onto something

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#104 : November 15, 2006, 03:41:24 PM

What happens if GRuden gets fired?  Do the Bucs run the WeCoOf again?  Not likely.  And in that instance, I would rather see Simms in a shotgun.

and a qucker drop, release, decision-making, etc.

I'm not sure how anyone can sit here and say differently. Every concern about Grads is fixable, Simms problems aren't and huge red flags.

I couldn't believe the difference in pace to this offense once Grads was running it. Totally different speed, not so deliberate.

That quicker release is good for getting a pass batted every 23 attempts.  Simms was getting his batted 1 every 16.  Not that different.

Plus Grads trips over his own QUICK feet about once or twice every game.

The offense had not scored a TD in FOREVER, so the deliberation, the release, the decision making is not only hard to trust, but not feasible.  Face it, Grads is not making this team go any better.  Now that is an illusion.

Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: No more Simms: Do you want to be let down again? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools