Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shula takes a jab at the Patriots « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

: November 06, 2007, 05:18:48 PM

As if Belichick and the Patriots needed any more reasons to pour it on opponents, now they have two weeks to stew about this. If I'm a Buffalo Bill, I'm calling Shula and saying thanks a lot.

Don Shula, the coach of the only perfect season in NFL history, believes the Patriots have a legitimate shot at running the table and joining his '72 Dolphins in going undefeated in the regular season and playoffs. But if they can pull it off, Shula insists the NFL needs to place an asterisk next to the Patriots in the record books because Bill Belichick got caught cheating in the Spygate scandal. Shula is naturally protective of the Dolphins' accomplishment and certainly wants that '72 team to stand alone. Long ago, he said, he learned that "rooting doesn't make anything happen. The Patriots look so good. I think they got a real shot at doing it." The Dolphins were 14-0 in the regular season and 3-0 in the playoffs, including the Super Bowl. If the Patriots don't lose, they will finish 19-0. Shula admires the Patriots' team, but then, without being asked, he said Spygate negatively impacts the way they should be perceived this season. "The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished. You would hate to have that attached to your accomplishments. They've got it," Shula told the Daily News yesterday. "Belichick was fined $500,000, the team was fined $250,00 and they lost a first-round draft choice. That tells you the seriousness or significance of what they found. "I guess you got the same thing as putting an asterisk by Barry Bonds' home run record. I guess it will be noted that the Patriots were fined and a No.1 draft choice was taken away during that year of accomplishment. The sad thing is Tom Brady looks so good, it doesn't look like he needs any help." -- NY Daily News

Belichick: Pats not planning on Dillon return

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 06, 2007, 05:21:18 PM

LoL.

I heard about that this morning. The '72 Dolphins can feel it slipping away. Sure is hard to see a legend like Shula desperately trying to hold onto the glory, but I guess I don't blame him..

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 06, 2007, 05:27:35 PM

I totally agree with Shula. There's absolutely no doubt that the accomplishments of the Patriots in the Belichick-Brady era have been severely tainted by what happened against the Jets. It makes you wonder how long they've been cheating and therefore how good they really are/have ever been.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 06, 2007, 05:35:51 PM

I totally agree with Shula. There's absolutely no doubt that the accomplishment of the Patriots in the Belichick-Brady era have been severely tainted by what happened against the Jets. It makes you wonder how long they've been cheating and therefore how good they really are/have ever been.

Look at what they've done since then though. They haven't fallen off at all, so it's arguable as to how much of an advantage the cheating really was..

#4 : November 06, 2007, 05:44:51 PM

I totally agree with Shula. There's absolutely no doubt that the accomplishments of the Patriots in the Belichick-Brady era have been severely tainted by what happened against the Jets. It makes you wonder how long they've been cheating and therefore how good they really are/have ever been.

I don't wonder about them at all....they are the team of the 00's. As for their SB's being tainted, I believe their Lombardi is as shiny as ours.

Shula is feelin their 72 season slipping away and I for one am rooting for the Pats.

All the naysayers should ask themselves one question.... how much of a drop off have they had since this "spygate" broke?

biggbucbrew

Practice Squad

#5 : November 06, 2007, 05:47:56 PM

I don't know about an asterik for the cheating stuff because I don't know what they found. I would say if a modern day team that plays the 16 game schedule goes undefeated they should put an asterik next to the '72 Dolphins in the record books, they went undefeated when the season was only 14 games long.

The 85 Bears won 17 games in a season...same as the 72 Dolphins. I'm sure there is more, but I can't think of them right now. I hate the Patriots, but I hope they do it, so we don't have to hear about the 72 dolphins who did it in only a 14 game season.  ;)

Hit-55

Starter

#6 : November 06, 2007, 05:50:01 PM

Don't poke the bear!!! I think all this is doing is fueling the Pats fire just a little bit more. I am one that thinks they will go 16-0 and the more I keep hearing about things like this the more likely I see it happening. I for one do hope to see a team go undefeated, I don't care for the Pats but I do want to see a 16-0 season. When I seen Bob Greise cheering against Brian when Denver was coming close it made me hate the 72' dolphins and start pulling for anyone to do it. I understand you don't want the record to be broken but, how cool would it have been for your son also to have the same record. That would be a great story. Every since then I have hated the 72' Dophins and hope the Dolphins go 0-16 in the same season.

Fire the cannons!!!

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 06, 2007, 05:51:56 PM

I agree with Old Man Shula, but...

The '72 Dolphins should have an asterisk by THEIR record, too!
2 games vs. teams with winning records????? Pfffft.

The '76 Bucs could have gone 8-8 with that cupcake schedule!!!  ;D

Bill "Pac-Man" Belichick-- Strip-Clubbing the NFL

#8 : November 06, 2007, 05:58:35 PM

jab.....Bwahahaha.......that was an Old School "Fred Williamson Chop" ...an BTW DS did play the game when men correct men on the field.......Fred "The Hammer "....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Williamson

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 06, 2007, 06:07:55 PM

who cares about the 72 dolphins?  Honestly the competition is so much better now that if the Pats played the 72 Dolphins in their prime it would look like the Pats-Skins game 2 weeks ago.

The defensive schemes are so much better now adays and the players themselves are better trained.  Don Shula and the Dolphins are already worried about an undefeated season when there's still half a season to go...

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 06, 2007, 06:16:35 PM

who cares about the 72 dolphins? Honestly the competition is so much better now that if the Pats played the 72 Dolphins in their prime it would look like the Pats-Skins game 2 weeks ago.

The defensive schemes are so much better now adays and the players themselves are better trained. Don Shula and the Dolphins are already worried about an undefeated season when there's still half a season to go...

Perhaps, but if the Pats of today played the 72 Dolphins in their prime, but with only the conditioning/training/schemes of 72 to rely on, I'd have to think it'd be a very close game..

#11 : November 06, 2007, 06:20:03 PM

ahhh.....the competion is not better in 2007...
champions are champions for one reason only....
on that day in time....they were the best.....silly....absurd to mix an match eras's
1972 the biggest starter lied when the game day program said he weighted 285

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 06, 2007, 07:58:39 PM

Maybe I'm just jealous, I don't know. But I for one am rooting for the Patriots to lose; I'd hate to see that statistically the greatest team in NFL History were proved to have cheated to get there.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 06, 2007, 08:09:11 PM

I don't wonder about them at all....they are the team of the 00's. As for their SB's being tainted, I believe their Lombardi is as shiny as ours.

Shula is feelin their 72 season slipping away and I for one am rooting for the Pats.

All the naysayers should ask themselves one question.... how much of a drop off have they had since this "spygate" broke?

Exactly my feelings. Shula comes off as a bitter old man in this, there's no reason for him to chime in.

The Patriots are proving that the tapes had little to do with their success. They'll go down as the best team the NFL has ever seen, let's all enjoy this domination because it happens every 20 yrs or so. Go Pats.....

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 06, 2007, 08:57:04 PM

Exactly how did something that happened the first half of the first game taint the season?

If the Pats had gone 16-0 in '04,05', '06, and Shula said those season should have an asterik, fine, but there is no way that video taping last year has any effect on this season since everyone knows he did it and had ample time to make changes.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shula takes a jab at the Patriots « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools