Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shula takes a jab at the Patriots « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 06, 2007, 09:26:26 PM

The only reason I have any interest in the Pats...a team I could do without....clearing out the Fins from '72 is that that bunch is even more unlikeable.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 06, 2007, 10:43:48 PM

The Patriots were going to be a great team regardless of spygate or not, but I see what Shula is saying. Consider how it will look 50 years from now to those who were either to young to grasp how good this team was or those who hadn't been born yet. They are going to hear about (if the Pats do go undefeated) how good this team was and they are also going to hear about how they cheated during the same season. To those who didn't get a chance to see this team play I can see how they would look at the team differently and not be as impressed.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#17 : November 06, 2007, 11:10:21 PM

The '76 Bucs could have gone 8-8 with that cupcake schedule!!!  ;D

Whoa, now, let's not be hasty. :P

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 06, 2007, 11:13:03 PM

I agree that the Patriots are cheaters and don't deserve to tie the Dolphins.   But then again, Dungy and the Colts are even worse cheaters so maybe it evens out.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#19 : November 07, 2007, 12:12:06 AM

Whiny old fart.  Get over it, these guys are 10 times better than the '72 Dolphins.  This "Spygate" thing is ludicrous.  These guys are whippin' peoples asses.  Crybabies!

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#20 : November 07, 2007, 08:15:02 AM

From PFT

We don't agree with it, Don.  Though we believe that the evidence of videotaped defensive signals (and the widespread rumors it spawned regarding more nefarious forms of cheating) puts a cloud over the team's past accomplishments (including its three Super Bowl wins), any past cheating means nothing in 2007.  The incriminating tape was confiscated at halftime of the first game of the season, against a team that knows that the Patriots were videotaping defensive signals.  Surely, it wasn't a factor in Week One.

Nor should it be a factor in any of the other game played this year.  Only a complete ignoramus (and Mike Tice no longer is an NFL head coach) would square off against the Pats in 2007 while using defensive signals or any other signals that might have been recorded by New England in the past.

So we think Shula is way off base on this one.  And we also think that his decision to tee off on the team that presents the biggest threat to the feats of the '72 Fins will serve only to give the Patriots extra motivation to finish the job.   

UPDATE:  A reader points out that the Dolphins were nailed by the league for tampering in connection with the hiring of Shula to be their head coach in 1970.  The penalty was a first-round draft pick.  So if the head coach of the team that went 17-0 two years later was hired through improper means, shouldn't the team's accomplishments with said coach carry an asterisk, too?

Many have forgotten that.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shula takes a jab at the Patriots « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools