Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McKay's fortunes drowned in Falcons' failure « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 14

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

: November 06, 2007, 09:19:52 PM

This is not necessarily Bucs'-related...but somehow I thought a few posters might enjoy this one.  :P

Rick McKay not so long ago used a sustained mastery of the NFL draft to transform the timid Tampa Bay Buccaneers into a Super Bowl champion.

Now, four years into his term as the Falcons president and general manager, Atlanta still waits for the same lightning to strike.

There is no overestimating the collateral damage done to the franchise's fortunes by the Michael Vick debacle. But the free fall from 2004 NFC South champions, a team that drew to within one game of the Super Bowl, and the calamity of this autumn has several roots.

Said Seattle general manager Tim Ruskell, McKay's lead assistant with the Falcons in 2004, "I don't know what happened since ... I left there thinking that team is going to be a hard-driving team to be reckoned with for the next 10 years."

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/11/06/mckay_1107.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

gone

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 06, 2007, 09:43:45 PM

"sustained mastery"?

ROFLMAO

Nice to know our local hacks aren't the only ones to buy Richie's BS I guess...

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 07, 2007, 12:45:44 AM

McKays pathetic, he deserves everything he gets. At least, he's not killin our franchise, although he tried.  NFL Commisoner, I don't think so.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 07, 2007, 12:53:04 AM

McKay SUCKS!

He is a TERRIBLE G.M.

He has no contingency plan EVER.

He is always going to be one hole away from sinking.

And the NFL knows it.  The media is starting to RAG this SOB hard.  Could care less, but I think it is funny nonetheless.

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 07, 2007, 07:47:14 AM

Here's another one.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2007/11/06/falcons_mckay_s.html

After covering him in 2003, this comes as no surprise to me. Now maybe the Bucs fans who didn't believe Pewter Report's assessment of McKay in our infamous "Teamwork" article in 2005 will see where we were going in that one. Again, Rich McKay did a lot of great things in Tampa Bay and deserves every diamond in his Super Bowl ring, but he's not the all-mighty G.M. that some fans and some in the local newspapers have made him out to be. He's wrecking Atlanta's salary cap and talent base. It's obvious that guys like Tim Ruskell and Jerry Angelo had a lot more talent evaluation skills than McKay had. When they left him, he got exposed.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 07, 2007, 08:15:18 AM

I just read Moore's article int he AJC, love it.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 07, 2007, 10:58:02 AM

If you read the article in AJC noted at the bottom of the first post in this thread, there is an article interviewing Petrino. Worth reading-interesting.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 07, 2007, 11:21:33 AM

Here's another one.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2007/11/06/falcons_mckay_s.html

After covering him in 2003, this comes as no surprise to me. Now maybe the Bucs fans who didn't believe Pewter Report's assessment of McKay in our infamous "Teamwork" article in 2005 will see where we were going in that one. Again, Rich McKay did a lot of great things in Tampa Bay and deserves every diamond in his Super Bowl ring, but he's not the all-mighty G.M. that some fans and some in the local newspapers have made him out to be. He's wrecking Atlanta's salary cap and talent base. It's obvious that guys like Tim Ruskell and Jerry Angelo had a lot more talent evaluation skills than McKay had. When they left him, he got exposed.

It's not the GMs job to scout. It's the GMs job to hire good scouts to advise him. He did that. This season it is a no-brainer that the Falcons are struggling because of the Michael Vick situation. How much cap space does Atlanta have after recouping the Vick money?

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 07, 2007, 11:24:15 AM

Here's another one.

It's not the GMs job to scout. It's the GMs job to hire good scouts to advise him. He did that. This season it is a no-brainer that the Falcons are struggling because of the Michael Vick situation. How much cap space does Atlanta have after recouping the Vick money?
So you are saying MCKay did no research on potential picks, and just flew blind?

You are a clever one.  If clever meant stupid.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 07, 2007, 11:27:35 AM

Its nice to see McKay's karma catching up on him.  The thing I disliked about him most was leaving the team during the season.  That spoke volumes to me about his commitment and character.  Always think of him as a weasly slimy kinda guy.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 07, 2007, 11:27:50 AM

This season it is a no-brainer that the Falcons are struggling because of the Michael Vick situation.

Of course, just like the incredible 7-9 record last year with Vick. Or the previous 8-8 record with Vick, it's a no-brainer that the Falcons were a below-average team with Vick and a horrific scum team without him.

All the Vick situation has done is show how poorly constructed the Falcons are personnel wise, it's pretty simple yet you slob the knob of McKay.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 07, 2007, 11:28:51 AM

It's obvious that guys like Tim Ruskell and Jerry Angelo had a lot more talent evaluation skills than McKay had. When they left him, he got exposed.

McKay is fortunate that Wyche and Rusty Tillman set him up with Lynch, Sapp and Brooks. Otherwise, he'd have no one proclaiming what a great GM he was. Of course, other than crafting a well-modeled media image, McKay was very good at one thing: getting people slamming doors at One Buc.

buppysnme

Rookie
#12 : November 07, 2007, 12:01:31 PM

bornabucs manlove

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 07, 2007, 12:56:18 PM

[quote/] It's not the GMs job to scout. It's the GMs job to hire good scouts to advise him. He did that. This season it is a no-brainer that the Falcons are struggling because of the Michael Vick situation. How much cap space does Atlanta have after recouping the Vick money?

Well, McKay hired Mark Dominik and Dennis Hickey, who are currently serving under Bruce Allen, but he inherited Jerry Angelo, Tim Ruskell and Ruston Webster, who were hired four years before McKay joined the Buccaneers.

While Vick has certainly done in the Falcons this year, as you state, what about the two previous years when McKay's Falcons finished third in the NFC South with an 8-8 and 7-9 records? McKay inherited a good Falcons team in 2004 that had 20 of 22 starters in place before his arrival. During his tenure, the Falcons are just 30-28. They were 25-38-1 in the four previous years under Harold Richardson and Dan Reeves, who got fired. The guess here is that Atlanta wins maybe 1 or 2 more games, putting their record at 4-12. That would give McKay a 32-34 record as the Falcons G.M. and could get him fired.

The amount of cap room the Falcons will get is yet to be determined. Just because they get to recover the signing bonus doesn't mean they get cap credit. If the Bucs get the $7 million from Jake Plummer, they won't get a $7 million cap credit.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 08, 2007, 12:44:45 PM

Can you say......OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page: 1 2 3 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McKay's fortunes drowned in Falcons' failure « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools