Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McKay's fortunes drowned in Falcons' failure « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 12 13 14

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#195 : November 16, 2007, 01:57:15 PM

Get over it.. Traitor McKay is never coming back, and I am glad he is wrecking that franchise in Atlanta.

Wow...I thought these two were joined at the hip...the duo are not seeing eye-to-eye on this one.  :o

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#196 : November 16, 2007, 02:01:20 PM

BornaBuc - There will be nothing like 1997 again, just like there won't be anything like 2002 again. Those were firsts in team history, the exception being in 1979, but there was a 17-year difference between '79 and '97, so it felt brand new. There's nothing like the first time.

You mention a RT and TE in Trueblood and Smith. Who IS going to get excited about a RT and a TE? But I think people will get excited about a playmaking safety like Jackson and a middle linebacker like Ruud, much like they did about Lynch and Brooks. I'm not saying Jackson is or can be Lynch, or Ruud is or can be a Brooks-type player. But the positions of safety and linebacker are sexier than right tackle and tight end, and fans are more apt to get hyped about those positions.

That's why people latched on to Simms, Clayton and Caddy before their injuries. QBs, WRs and RBs are sexier positions that fans gravitate towards. In 1997, the Bucs were fortunate enough to have the right UT, WLB and SS in the lineup in their prime, along with a good NT, MLB and shutdown CB. The Bucs are working towards that again, but there has been a lot of turnover due to age and the salary cap.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#197 : November 16, 2007, 09:09:21 PM

Scott, you are definitely right. The vibe of '97, after the long dry spell, cannot be repeated. I always held '82 near and dear to my heart because it was the last year of Williams, last year of respectability. '83 was the most abrupt ending of an era one could ever imagine. There was no gradual descent into mediocrity; we went from good to bad immediately.
The problem now is that so many are jaded. The notion of an NFC title or Super Bowl title or else it is a bad year is ludicrous. If we continue to add talent, then that can be a reasonable stance, but Gruden has done a lot with a little; Dungy's coaching can be broken down into two pieces IMHO, the building up (in which he gained his deserved reputation), but then the stagnation (the precursor which was 1998, the second precursor which was Week 17 in 2000 and then the two Eagles playoff losses and disappointing 2001).
Years and teams must be considered within context. We romanticize 1997, but the season was more important for what it represented than what it actually was; the end of the bad times, young hope, competitiveness with good teams. But after a wonderful 5-0 start, the Bucs were 6-7 the rest of that year, 8-8 the next year and 3-4 to begin 1999. So was the talent not as good as we would like to think or was the coaching not as good as we have come to think?
SR, it's not just that Caddy and Clayton were from sexy positions. Caddy set an NFL record for rushing yards through three games. Clayton put up stud numbers as a rookie. These were not bust picks; they were studs who lost it after proving they belonged. Simms threw 10 TD passes in 11 games with an average of less than 200 ypg. That's good for a young QB, but hardly earth-shattering.
As for Tanard Jackson, I'll take him on my team even some so-called fans won't. The guy's a player.

In Verner We Trust

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#198 : November 16, 2007, 10:22:38 PM

VERY knowledgeable post, JerseyBucsFan. When a so-called expert who is paid to know a lot about the Bucs like me learns something from a post, that is quite impressive. Kudos to you. I didn't realize how mediocre the Bucs were for a 36-game stretch in which Tampa Bay went 17-19, especially over the span that included two playoff seasons in three years on a team full of talent.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#199 : November 16, 2007, 11:10:55 PM

Thanks, SR. Few games can equal the euphoria of the SF or NE games in 1997. But after the letdown of '98, the 3-4 start of '99 really left the team in never-never land. It's a credit to Dungy that we bounced back, but we won a lot of close games that could have gone either way and only faced one team with more than 9 wins (the Vikes) until barely getting by the Redskins.
Yes, a lot of talent and I don't want to minimize what Dungy did. But 2002 bore no resemblance to anything else we ever did, while 2005 and 2007 aren't that far off from the so-called glory years.

In Verner We Trust

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#200 : November 16, 2007, 11:26:13 PM

I think that Bucs fans are used to now having the sexy position superstars. I wouldn't have brought that up knowing that our favorite player was Mr. Derrick Brooks, or John Lynch who knocked his brother-in law unconscious, or an undertackle in a league of superstar QBs, RBs, and WRs. We're used to it.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#201 : November 16, 2007, 11:28:03 PM

Get over it.. Traitor McKay is never coming back, and I am glad he is wrecking that franchise in Atlanta.

Wow...I thought these two were joined at the hip...the duo are not seeing eye-to-eye on this one.  :o
He has a weird thing for McKay and I think McKay is a snake.

Page: 1 ... 12 13 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McKay's fortunes drowned in Falcons' failure « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools