Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bored Again « previous next »
Page: 1

psymun

Starter
: November 15, 2006, 05:58:45 PM

I was bored, so I decided to check this out...

I used the same exact formula that is used for QB efficiency and applied it to WRs...

ATT = Thrown To
Comp = Catches
Yards
TDs
INT   = Drops

I was going to decrease the penalty of the drops since they aren't as severe as interceptions, but when I started imputting players, the top 10 wide receivers in the league had a rating well over 90... so I figured that the efficiency rating was pretty fair...

My Ratings came out as such...

Ike Hilliard: 65.06
Joey Galloway: 52.19
Michael Clayton: 38.04

I know a lot of you are going to argue with this, but I truly believe that this formula is fairly accurate... Even to use for receivers... I might also use this as a way to guage RB efficiency... but at this point, I've found something better to do...

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 15, 2006, 06:18:40 PM

interesting analysis, (you've got plenty of time on your hands!)  but the "thrown to" stat can be very misleading. if i understand the stat correctly, just because a player was thrown to, it doesn't mean he has a realistic chance to catch the ball, just that he's been targeted.  thus, if your QB throws the ball over galloway's head out of bounds to avoid a sack, that's still a "target" for galloway....

is that the case?

psymun

Starter
#2 : November 15, 2006, 07:52:45 PM

Yes, that is the case... I thought about that... but it's just like if a QB throws a perfect pass and either a. it's dropped or b. the receiver tips it and it gets intercepted... it happens less often... but like I said... it actually does a pretty good job... it's not perfect...

#3 : November 15, 2006, 07:55:55 PM

I was bored, so I decided to check this out...

I used the same exact formula that is used for QB efficiency and applied it to WRs...

ATT = Thrown To
Comp = Catches
Yards
TDs
INT = Drops

I was going to decrease the penalty of the drops since they aren't as severe as interceptions, but when I started imputting players, the top 10 wide receivers in the league had a rating well over 90... so I figured that the efficiency rating was pretty fair...

My Ratings came out as such...

Ike Hilliard: 65.06
Joey Galloway: 52.19
Michael Clayton: 38.04

I know a lot of you are going to argue with this, but I truly believe that this formula is fairly accurate... Even to use for receivers... I might also use this as a way to guage RB efficiency... but at this point, I've found something better to do...
interesting, can you post some of the top recievers by your formula?

psymun

Starter
#4 : November 15, 2006, 09:43:30 PM

Marques Colston - 113.95
T.J. Houshmandzadeh - 99.88
Roy Williams - 100.12
Marvin Harrison - 93.42

Again... just like with QBs... it doesn't reflect the actually ABILITY of these receivers, but rather their EFFICIENCY...

#5 : November 16, 2006, 08:53:51 AM

Marques Colston - 113.95
Roy Williams - 100.12
Marvin Harrison - 93.42

Again... just like with QBs... it doesn't reflect the actually ABILITY of these receivers, but rather their EFFICIENCY...

Also, it's largely dependent on the QBs.  Grads is knocking down the rating of his receivers.  It's an interesting stat, though.

#6 : November 16, 2006, 09:11:20 AM

Receivers dropping passes and giving minimal effort to catch them also is contributing to Grads' rating.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#7 : November 16, 2006, 12:10:45 PM

Receivers dropping passes and giving minimal effort to catch them also is contributing to Grads' rating.

Grads sucking is also contributing to the WR's bad ratings. Sure he is a rookie, but there is no way to sugar coat it. He has had horrible performances. Hopefully the light comes on before the end of the season, and he can go into the offseason seeing things more clearly.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 16, 2006, 12:15:01 PM

Well Grads def hasn't lit the world on fire, we all know this, or at least the people here who watch the games. He has missed many throws, more than he has had drops, but the WR's could def help him out. Either way its a mess.

Someone hit the nail on the head earlier talking about Simms or Grads, saying "hell its like arguing who finished last in the race". I was LMAO, that was funny, sorta true.

Baghead #2

spartan

Hall of Famer
#9 : November 16, 2006, 02:51:35 PM

Kind of interesting but extremely misleading IMO. Interceptions for 1 are usually a QB's fault. If for example he threw to a WR in triple coverage the odds are stacked against him and a INT is more than likely.

#10 : November 16, 2006, 03:55:23 PM

thanks Psy....nice formula

#11 : November 16, 2006, 04:23:34 PM

Kind of interesting but extremely misleading IMO. Interceptions for 1 are usually a QB's fault. If for example he threw to a WR in triple coverage the odds are stacked against him and a INT is more than likely.

One way to correct that would be to crunch the WR numbers using the formula above, then calculate that against the QB stats (or rating), that might normalize it a bit.  Right now, it's mainly useful to compare different receivers playing with the same QB.

...And I wish there was some way to give receivers credit for being thrown to deep...

gone

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 16, 2006, 05:47:35 PM

Marques Colston - 113.95
Roy Williams - 100.12
Marvin Harrison - 93.42

Also, it's largely dependent on the QBs.  Grads is knocking down the rating of his receivers.  It's an interesting stat, though.
It would be interesting to see how these same guys fared under the other QB's (SoP and SoB).
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bored Again « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools