Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise Chris Simms? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Huey Freeman

Starter
: November 15, 2006, 11:06:40 PM

In the offseason, what are your thoughts on Franchising Chris Simms?  I am not in favor of having him back next season, but I know as most of you do that he will be very popular on the free agent market.  He is a young QB with starting experience and a canon for an arm.  He took us to the playoffs last season, so he should be somewhat popular.  I think that Oakland would be all over him. 

If we franchise him, we would have the rights to trade him for a pick.  Remember, the Tag doesn't mean we have to pay him the average of the top 5 QBs in the league, because the team can also remove the tag before the season.  By putting the Tag on him, the Bucs might be able to get a return on their initial investment. 

I think he might be a quality QB, but I think as many of you do that he is the wrong fit for our system.  It would be a shame to let him go for nothing (ie Brees in SD). 

#1 : November 15, 2006, 11:28:31 PM

no......no.....why would you. If you remove the tag I believe you can't use it for a year. Why the hell would you pay him the avg. of the top 5 QBs in the league? With Manning and Vicks huge contracts we're not talking junk change, I'm sure he'd come for a heck of a lot cheaper than that.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#2 : November 15, 2006, 11:28:48 PM

No.

#3 : November 15, 2006, 11:32:13 PM

I say no as well, but I am curious as to where you found language saying that we wouldn't have to pay him the top 5 average?  To my knowledge, if you tag a player that is part of the requirements.  As others have pointed out, I don't like the sound of the idea, especially when it is the QB position given Manning's and Vick's contracts.

Unfortunately we lost the opportunity to deal Simms away.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#4 : November 16, 2006, 01:13:45 AM

I'm guessing someone doesn't know the intricacies of the Franchise Tag rules?

Bucz108

Starter

#5 : November 16, 2006, 01:45:32 AM

Once a player signs the franchise tender, the team can't take back the offer.  And I'm sure it wouldn't take Simms long to sign a contract that pays him the average of the top 5 QBs in the league.

Huey Freeman

Starter
#6 : November 16, 2006, 02:49:54 AM

If he signed the Tender, yes.  But if he doesn't, you can remove the tag once it is placed.  That is what was implied.  I am fully aware of the Franchise rule.  That would be the risk, if he signed the tender.  Similar happened with Charles Woodson a couple years ago.  But other teams have been able to get picks for players they were about to lose.  The Bills got a 1st for Play-less Price.  I'm not suggesting that we would get a first, but we might be able to get something.

And who else would we use it on this year?  Dewayne White is a candidate for a long term contract...... 

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#7 : November 16, 2006, 03:56:21 AM

WTF, this has got to be a joke, if they did that im jabbing a pen in my eye

Badbud8

Second String

#8 : November 16, 2006, 06:46:16 AM

NO WAY,,,,, NO HOW,,,,,, NOT they way the tag Works

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 16, 2006, 09:12:22 AM

In the offseason, what are your thoughts on Franchising Chris Simms?

That's hilarious. The Buccaneers currently have NO player worthy of franchise player designation.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 16, 2006, 10:52:57 AM

Talented young QBs are assets.  I'm not suggesting that we should use a Franchise or Transition Tag on him, I just broached the question. 

I may be in the minority but I would like to see Simms re-signed.  But I think some team will offer him more money and he will go elsewhere.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 16, 2006, 09:22:49 AM

Franchising Chris Simms? 

Now that there is a post deserving of a special award.   :o

BucsAddict

Starter

#12 : November 16, 2006, 09:27:30 AM

Rich Mckay is that you?

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 16, 2006, 09:33:20 AM

Rich Mckay is that you?

McKay would have franchised his #1 and #2 pick, Kenyatta Walker.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 16, 2006, 09:42:49 AM

Can you franchise a guy that's not under contract?  I'm guessing you can't?  But that's a guess...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise Chris Simms? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools