Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When is enough for Grads « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 16, 2006, 10:08:19 AM

Yes Simms did carry a clipboard for 3 season BUT when he entered the fire it was like he was a rookie. Its a much different world in Preseason/Practice than it is against a starting team when it counts

really seems to bother tony romo & damon huard...as a 2nd or 3rd or 4th year guy making your first start, you should be vastly better prepared than a rookie. those guys were nobodies on draft day, but they've translated years of practice reps, film & playbook study, and several offseasons of work into the ability to look like much more than a rookie when their time came. even simms as a second year guy had commented on how his confidence and knowledge was night & day compared to rookie year...

if practice weren't an important part of game readiness, teams would just save their energy for the games...yeah, he was a "rookie" but he was a rookie who had 2 more years to understand what the coaches and system require of him as a QB.

that's what I'm saying. It was beyond disturbing the way Simms came out the gate this year. I don't care how bad the defense is Simms was AWFUL. He's had plenty of time to prepare to be the #1 and he blew it.

bye bye Simms, get the hell out of town

watson

Hall of Famer
#16 : November 16, 2006, 12:19:01 PM

Think back to Simms first training camp.  He couldn't even remember the plays and/or how to call them.  Whether you like Grads or not, he is far ahead of where Simms was at the same point in their careers. 

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#17 : November 16, 2006, 12:58:23 PM

Think back to Simms first training camp.  He couldn't even remember the plays and/or how to call them.  Whether you like Grads or not, he is far ahead of where Simms was at the same point in their careers. 

Chris said Grads was probably two years ahead of him at the start of the season.  That was probably an exaggeration and Chris didn't expect to lose the starters spot, but it gives you an indication as to how well he is doing with the play-book and calls etc.

#18 : November 16, 2006, 01:04:12 PM

I'm not bashing and I'm not anti Grads. I'm curious to know when is enough for the you the fans to say that they have seen enough of the kid as a frontline starter? How long should we give him, a season, 6 years, what? He is going to have a full season this year and I'm curious if he continues down his path of 17-33 for 162 yards, when do you say he can't get it done?

Again I'm hoping he is the man and god knows I want the bucs to win. I'm just curious on when is enough.

I think it's an onpoing thing.  He has to show continuing progress.  So far, he's moving forward, he just needs to continue to do better.

gone

Hall of Famer
#19 : November 16, 2006, 01:11:34 PM

Dude, accept the fact that Bruce is it for the rest of the year...

#20 : November 16, 2006, 01:16:38 PM

Dude, accept the fact that Bruce is it for the rest of the year...

Agreed.  Barring some big backward steps.

gone

Hall of Famer
#21 : November 16, 2006, 01:44:45 PM

He's the rets of the year necuase what is plan B? McCown? Rattay? Why bother, the kid plays. Like I said, next year and the second half of next at that is where you really start to know what you've got.
I'm not sold that he's that much of a lock for next year.  Jon likes him, and he's the favorite now, but he's really only playing now due to circumstance.  Does anyone really think he'd have been #2 if McCown hadn't been hurt?
It'll all depend on how he looks when Camp starts next year.  The reps this year just help.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 16, 2006, 01:56:13 PM

Think back to Simms first training camp.  He couldn't even remember the plays and/or how to call them.

How about this PAST training camp?

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#23 : November 16, 2006, 03:38:09 PM

Gruden is riding the Grads horse. he's Gruden's pick and he will make sure this kid gets enough opportunities to be successful. Grads is everything Gruden wanted to be as a player.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#24 : November 16, 2006, 03:40:35 PM

the rest of this season, even tho the team sucks, let him compete with sombody else in TC to see how he does

maybe next year we should hire mike martz as our HC, he seems to get the best out of QB's, then draft Quinn or Johnson

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#25 : November 16, 2006, 05:38:21 PM

Gradkowski is our QB and he is probably going to be the QB next year too unless we make a real stud pickup (which I doubt).

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#26 : November 16, 2006, 10:00:51 PM

Again I'm hoping he is the man and god knows I want the bucs to win. I'm just curious on when is enough.

When Gruden is fired? :o :o :o

WHy is it that the same people that say "Don't bash Grads he is just a rookie he is supposed to struggle..." are the same people who say FIRE GRUDEN?  WOuldn't the same lame excuse apply for Gruden?  If a rookie QB is expected to struggle, shouldn't the coach of a rookie QB not be expected to win a bunch of games?  You can't have it both ways......

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#27 : November 16, 2006, 10:07:52 PM

WHy is it that the same people that say "Don't bash Grads he is just a rookie he is supposed to struggle..." are the same people who say FIRE GRUDEN? 

They are  ??? I haven't noticed any real connection between the two.

WOuldn't the same lame excuse apply for Gruden?  If a rookie QB is expected to struggle, shouldn't the coach of a rookie QB not be expected to win a bunch of games?  You can't have it both ways......

That is a completely different thing all together.  A manager is paid to run an organization successfully, which in the NFL means win.  When a manager fails after a few years in his post he is accountable for the lack of success.  We may have a rookie QB starting but who picked the roster and left the team in that vulnerable situation.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#28 : November 16, 2006, 10:10:52 PM

WHy is it that the same people that say "Don't bash Grads he is just a rookie he is supposed to struggle..." are the same people who say FIRE GRUDEN?

They are ??? I haven't noticed any real connection between the two.

WOuldn't the same lame excuse apply for Gruden?  If a rookie QB is expected to struggle, shouldn't the coach of a rookie QB not be expected to win a bunch of games?  You can't have it both ways......

That is a completely different thing all together. A manager is paid to run an organization successfully, which in the NFL means win. When a manager fails after a few years in his post he is accountable for the lack of success. We may have a rookie QB starting but who picked the roster and left the team in that vulnerable situation.

The same guy who went 11-5 last year and won the division?

The roster was not supposed to be vulernable.  We supposedly had the #1 D returning intact, plus the starting QB from a division winning team, 2 decent backups and a promising rookie at QB right? 

If you say since we are down to a rookie starting at QB and to cut him some slack, surely the coach should get some too.....

calicojack

Starter
#29 : November 16, 2006, 10:36:13 PM

That is a completely different thing all together. A manager is paid to run an organization successfully, which in the NFL means win. When a manager fails after a few years in his post he is accountable for the lack of success. We may have a rookie QB starting but who picked the roster and left the team in that vulnerable situation.

An NFL franchise isn't a typical organization.  IM<HO, the only mistake our FO made was to trade for Rattay when Brian Griese got injured.  It seemed like an ok move at the time, but he hasn't panned out.  With no money to spend in the off-season, they couldn't get Griese back.  Nor could they afford to get into a bidding war for the few other QB free agents.  Then their backup blows out a knee.  So, who could they have signed for next to nothing?  The best they could do with nothing to spend was Fiedler, which didn't work out.  Then Simms decides to hold the ball for seven seconds and gets his spleen ruptured.  Who should they have gotten?

The Dream Team
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When is enough for Grads « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools