Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Brett Favre is the Greatest... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : November 13, 2007, 07:42:24 PM

Too bad he isn't the greatest qb of all time,sorry Marino is better

sorry, but you are flat out wrong...

not just wrong, VERY wrong. Marino was good for running up stats.

When I look at great qbs, I see Montana, Elway, Brady, and Young... my all tme favorite.

I have seen Brett have some horrific playoff performances. I anticipate another this post-season.

#16 : November 13, 2007, 07:42:39 PM

Btw Turbo, I agree with what you said. Back when we use to play the Pack twice a year I HATED favre, couldnt stand him. As soon as we switched divisions I realized what a great player and great person he is.

#17 : November 13, 2007, 07:44:06 PM

Brett Favre plays the game right, and he does it with great enthusiasm. He has been through more in his life than you will ever go through in yours, Kidd, all the while never missing a game and remaining an icon for that city.

I think some of that could be attributed to his need to pop Vicodin like tic-tacs.

#18 : November 13, 2007, 07:45:52 PM

Are you describing House or Favre, Hate?

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 13, 2007, 07:57:59 PM

only problem I have with the "icon" statement is this:

before this season, the last 2 years the general packer fan was calling for Favre to retire, they wanted him gone.  Not just the casual fan either, the media was on his case 24/7.  Everyone (or at least an overwhelming majority) wanted him gone.

Is that how a true "icon" is treated?

Packer fans are just as fair weather as any other fan, the media just doesn't report it that way.

I agree, the guy is and has been the face of the packers for a better part of the last 2 decades, however, he hasn't always been held in the highest esteem in Green Bay.

#20 : November 13, 2007, 08:21:38 PM

Are you describing House or Favre, Hate?

huh?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#21 : November 13, 2007, 08:50:34 PM

Too bad he isn't the greatest qb of all time,sorry Marino is better

sorry, but you are flat out wrong...

not just wrong, VERY wrong. Marino was good for running up stats.

When I look at great qbs, I see Montana, Elway, Brady, and Young... my all tme favorite.

I have seen Brett have some horrific playoff performances. I anticipate another this post-season.
I call BS on that one Hate.  Marino had no running backs.  EVER.  And his wideouts were decent.  He threw PERFECT passes all the time, and had the best pocket presence of ANY QB of all time.  He played on some seriously deficeint teams, and led them by his damned self on offense...

Marino on the 49ers would have been legendary.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#22 : November 13, 2007, 09:35:44 PM

JOHN ELWAY

Capt Kidd

Starter
#23 : November 13, 2007, 09:42:51 PM

Brett Favre plays the game right, and he does it with great enthusiasm. He has been through more in his life than you will ever go through in yours, Kidd, all the while never missing a game and remaining an icon for that city.

Sorry, my friend. You have no idea what I have been through in my life. I'm a bit older than Brett and I've seen my share of schtuff. And I know a good man from a flake when I see one. Chmura, Winters and Favre were unseparable for years. Anyone who lives in Milwaukee knows that after every Milwaukee game the 3 "Family Men" were in the titty bars.  I've personally heard Chmura say on the radio that the minute that he got into trouble, he never heard from Favre again but Winters was there to support him. Chmura doesn't show much love for Favre. Neither does Levens or several other retired players that I've heard on the radio.

And it's a fact, when they're winning he celebrates like a kid. But when they lose he pouts and runs from the media like a kid. There was a Baltimore writer on the Milwaukee sports station this year who was last years Writers Guild president. He said that the NFL requires players to have 5 conference calls with reporters throughout the year. Favre did his 5 real quick and let it be known that he was done for the year.  He said that last year he either wouldn't talk or would be surly when he did and that a lot of reporters lost a lot of respect for Favre last year. So have your opinion and I'll have mine. But I see more than the guy that hops around like he's never been there before every time he throws a TD. Yeah, he's fun to watch. He's a gunslinger, but I prefer winners.

Capt Kidd

Starter
#24 : November 13, 2007, 10:35:37 PM

I would love to see some hard evidence of all these claims you make.
Oh and btw, Brady threw 3 ints in a playoff loss to Denver, and I believe 2 of them were in the red zone.
That same Brady threw an int while trying to lead a game winning drive against Indy in the AFCCG last year
My point is, not matter how good a qb you are, no one is perfect, you are gonna make mistakes.

Hard Evidence? What's disputable? I didn't say anything that isn't public record. And I didn't say 3 ints, I said 6 (count 'em SIX) Look, in my view it's like this. Favre has all the records, including the INT record cuz he's thrown more than anyone else. He's a fun-to-watch gunslinger, he's got a great arm, an unmatched knack for playing hurt (Vicodin) a great knack for the big play that makes it fun for the Sunday football gurus to watch.  But his style is not conducive to championships. It's just a fact. He has what, 17 years and one ring? And a lot of playoff chokes. Come on people, he's a media creation. He is not the greatest of all time but a former Packer probably is: Bart Starr.

The media creates titles for their stars and right now Brett is a great QB but nowhere close to greatest of all time. That's just ridiculous kid/star struck talk. Anyone who REALLY follows football, day in and day out, and really listens to the experts and reallly looks at the stats and facts knows that Brett is not top five of all time. And anyone who listens and really follows will hear former players and the real experts having negative things to say about Favre as  a player and as a person. You never hear those things about Starr, Young, Montana, Brady, Unitas, etc. etc.

Favre is not a football God. He's a gunslinger who the casual fan loves to watch cuz he really is a big immature kid. But IMO the real football fan prefers a more mature cerebral team player. I'm a Bucs fan all the way thru. But right now, Brady is the best QB currently in the game, hands down.

Capt Kidd

Starter
#25 : November 30, 2007, 09:49:24 PM

Remember this thread? Like I said, Favre is a slinger not a Big Game QB. Over-rated...

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 01, 2007, 12:55:37 PM

Don't like Favre right now because he's my fantasy team QB. The guy who never gets hurt goes out in the biggest game of the season for me when I needed to win to make the playoffs! Thanks for nothing!!!

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#27 : December 01, 2007, 01:45:48 PM

I would suspect any decent QB who played the number of games Favre has played would also have stats similar to Favre's.

Media reports over the years indicate what a cry baby he is.

Respect his stats, yes. Think he's the best ever, no way.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#28 : December 01, 2007, 02:15:24 PM

He's the best alright...the best at throwing interceptions.

I don't hate the man but he isn't even near the best QB to ever play the game. There are 2 guys right now who are better overall in Manning and Brady. There are guys playing the game right now that I would rather have QBing my team - Carson Palmer.

More than anything, he's lucky. He has thrown so many bad passes that wind up being TDs it's unbelievable. He's surely skilled and has a rocket arm. He has thrown half a million TD passes but he's also the NFL all time interception leader. The best QB to ever play would never lead the NFL all time in interceptions...sorry.

SON-OF-ZELL

Starter

#29 : December 01, 2007, 03:01:51 PM

Last season Favre went on such a wild ride with the prescription drug Vicodin, a narcotic-analgesic painkiller, that Tynes feared for his life. He scavenged pills from teammates. At least once he took 13 tablets in a night. But on Tuesday of last week, during his final telephone call before entering the Menninger Clinic, a rehabilitation center in Topeka, Kans., to treat his dependency (and also to evaluate his occasional heavy drinking), Favre told SI that he hadn't taken Vicodin since the seizure.

Yeah what an IRON MAN........Strung out on Vicodin and he was so manly he never missed a game.  You go Brett.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Brett Favre is the Greatest... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools