Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joseph and Trueblood Progress Report « previous next »
Page: 1

shall555

Starter

: November 16, 2006, 08:30:58 PM

I took a peek at how our young hogs are doing this season and the numbers are downright impressive, especially for 2 rookie linemen! Ignore the naysayers, armchair OL coaches, and boo birds. These guys are going to be a good tandem. I'll let the numbers speak for themselves.

Davin Joseph has started 5 games and has given up 2 sacks and 0 penalties. He’s allowed 1.5 sacks less than Steve Hutchinson, but his run blocking is nowhere near Hutch’s.

Jeremy Trueblood has started 6 games and has given up 5.5 sacks and 7 penalties. Take away Peppers’ 3 sacks and Trueblood has allowed 2.5 sacks in 5 games. Not bad for a rookie OT, switching from LT to RT. In fact, it’s downright impressive. Some numbers from the 2006 draft class:

D’Brickashaw Ferguson, the #4 pick overall, has allowed 5 sacks. Marcus McNeil has allowed 2.5 sacks, but his career will be very short, and Winston Justice hasn’t even seen the field.

I think our boys are going to be pretty good. They just need to tighten up their run blocking and penalties committed. Check out these comparable numbers from some of the best in the league:

Walter Jones – (The best LT in the business) 4.5 sacks allowed
Orlando Pace – 4.5 sacks allowed
Willie Anderson – 2.5 sacks allowed
John Tait – 3 sacks allowed
Steve Hutchinson – 3.5 sacks allowed (Joseph has less sacks in 4 fewer games, but both are on pace to allow 6 sacks on the season)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 16, 2006, 08:46:46 PM

I agree that the right side will become a good thing for the Bucs.  But I have to give it a full year, and this one is down the tubes, so I hope they take it all in, and learn from it.  I know they will, actually.

The left side is a disaster right now, with a non-improving, injured Buenning being the sole bright spot.  I think the Bucs go after a solid LT in the draft, send Mahan over to Center where some cerebral skills are necessary, and where being sandwiched between two monsters would help him out.  I think Davis might wind up being the next Mahan (the version he is right now).  Which is to say he will be a backup, and be able to play either guard or tackle should the need arise. 

At least I hope the Bucs go after a stud left tackle...

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 16, 2006, 08:46:54 PM

No running game, and a QB that gets rid of the ball quickly.  I don't care what the stats say, the O-line is still a WIP.  

Joseph is a very good player and he will be one of the most dominating RGs for years once he gets a season under his belt.If we stick with a righthanded QB trueblood will be sufficient, but if they go back to Simms, RT will need an upgrade.

shall555

Starter

#3 : November 16, 2006, 08:56:12 PM

I think Trueblood has the potential to be a Jon Jansen / Jon Runyan type of Right Tackle. A blue collar lunch pail guy that will be very solid. The MNF game being the exception, but let's be realistic here, Peppers makes almost every RT look bad. He embarassed Bryant McKinnie and Marcus Johnson with his All-World performance. I just hope the Trueblood/Peppers battle doesn't turn into the Walker/Peppers battle or even worse, the Jason Odom/Reggie White battle. Anything better than those two battles would be ideal.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 16, 2006, 08:58:23 PM

I think Trueblood has the potential to be a Jon Jansen / Jon Runyan type of Right Tackle. A blue collar lunch pail guy that will be very solid.

He might be a solid RT, but don't hold your breathy on that.  He has been getting burned quite a bit, and tripped several players in a desperate bid to stop them killing the QB.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 16, 2006, 08:58:47 PM

I agree that Blood has the making of Runyan.  I just hope he turns into a hairy shouldered mammoth that Runyan is...

gone

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 16, 2006, 09:00:18 PM

I think Trueblood has the potential to be a Jon Jansen / Jon Runyan type of Right Tackle. A blue collar lunch pail guy that will be very solid. The MNF game being the exception, but let's be realistic here, Peppers makes almost every RT look bad. He embarassed Bryant McKinnie and Marcus Johnson with his All-World performance. I just hope the Trueblood/Peppers battle doesn't turn into the Walker/Peppers battle or even worse, the Jason Odom/Reggie White battle. Anything better than those two battles would be ideal.
Trueblood has the potential to be DOMINANT.  Whether he'll ever realize that potential is the question.  He's very rough, but could be a major force in 3-4 years.  His physical traits are outstanding, it's his skills that are questionable.  The $64,000 question is how much can he learn?

Beastie

Rookie

#7 : November 16, 2006, 10:49:08 PM

JOE THOMAS!!!!

*clap clap clap clap clap*

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 17, 2006, 09:25:29 AM

Can't block an 8 man front until you gettem up off you in the passing game.  Seems like the book on Grads says show him the long ball look and he'll make the right audible but we can't block it to save our lives.  I don't think he's a total loss. I think the speed of the game has not slowed down for any of these guys.  That's key before they can settle in and let the athletic ability shine through...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 17, 2006, 09:59:38 AM

They're thinking and not playing. I like the upside on both of these guys for the long term.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joseph and Trueblood Progress Report « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools