Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Top 10 Offensive free agents for 2008 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: November 18, 2007, 11:15:35 PM

1. WR Randy Moss, New England Patriots - Moss has been one of the biggest, if not the biggest, offseason moves and has opened opportunities for Wes Welker and Donte Stallworth. It isn't likely that the Patriots will give Moss a big-time deal, but if they keep winning he might be willing to stay at a cheaper price.

2. RB Michael Turner, San Diego Chargers - He has been LaDainian Tomlinson's backup for a number of years and now is the time for Turner to be a featured back. He could end up with the Browns, since Jamal Lewis is only on a one-year deal and will be a free agent. Houston and Green Bay could also be a possibly where this highly sought after free agent could land.

3. TE Dallas Clark, Indianapolis Colts - Clark can opt out of his deal after this season, and most likely will. The Colts will try to keep him but also have to worry about re-signing safety Bob Sanders. Clark will likely be a hot commodity if he hits the open market as he has the ability to not only be to play tight end, but he can lineup in the slot and create a size mismatch with a cornerback.

4. OL Alan Faneca, Pittsburgh Steelers - Faneca wanted a new long-term deal this offseason and was upset that he did not get it. He mostly likely won't be back with the Steelers leaving them with a big hole in the interior of their offensive line.

5. OT Jordan Gross, Carolina Panthers - Gross the eighth overall pick in the 2003 NFL draft has started both as a right and left tackle for the Carolina Panther. Mostly likely the Panthers will put the franchise tag on him if they don't get him sign to a long-term deal.

6. C Jeff Faine, New Orleans Saints - Faine, another first round pick from the 2003 NFL Draft, was selected with the 21st overall pick by the Cleveland Browns but his career has really taken off with the Saints. He has a voidable contract after this year and the Saints will likely lock him up to a long-term deal.

7. TE L.J. Smith, Philadelphia Eagles - Smith, who has had a down year because he has undergone two surgeries since the end of May to repair groin injuries, hasn't been happy that the Eagles haven't resigned him to a long-term deal like they have done in the past with other young players on their team. Smith is a perfect fit in the West Coast offense, and in 2005 he had a career high with 61 catches for 682 yards and 3 touchdowns and is one of Donovan McNabb's favorite targets.

8. RB Julius Jones, Dallas Cowboys - At 26, Jones is a younger running back who has experience as a starter. Last season he rushed for 1,084 yards despite sharing the load with Marion Barber. He has speed and power and could be a featured back, but it looks as if the Cowboys have more confidence in Barber then to sign Jones to a big contract. Look for Jones to test the market this offseason.

9. WR D.J. Hackett, Seattle Seahawks - Hackett, like Jones, is only 26 years old, and has all the ability as a receiver when he can stay healthy. However, that has been Hackett's problem this season and that might cost him some money. He has the physical ability to be a No. 1 wide receiver in the NFL, he just has to show that he can stay on the field. Look for him to stay in Seattle.

10. WR Bryant Johnson, Arizona Cardinals - Johnson is 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, can run and is only 26 years old. During his five-year NFL career, he has averaged around 40 catches a season. Last year, he had a career high 18.5 yards per catch average. Johnson, for the most part of his career, has being playing as a third wide receiver behind Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. Johnson was a first round pick and has lived up to expectations but he could be a solid No. 2 receiver and it looks if he will be leaving Arizona after this season.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

#1 : November 18, 2007, 11:19:26 PM

There are some interesting names on that list.

Problem is, many teams have $$ to spend and some of them may never hit the open market..... Moss being one of them.

SwarmingDefense

Pro Bowler
#2 : November 18, 2007, 11:21:04 PM

Turner lock it up.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#3 : November 18, 2007, 11:22:18 PM

Gimme Gross... I am perfectly fine with our Tackles, but if it stops us from having to draft one in the FO's eyes then by all means get Gross... and it would hurt the cats :)... least we could do is run up his asking price a bit.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 18, 2007, 11:35:36 PM

I don't see Moss coming here.   Faneca would be good, but we have number one picks at both guard spots.   Faine would be great, but expensive.   Dallas Clarke would be a nice addition.   I don't think any of those running backs are an upgrade over what we have.   The WR's there other than Moss are nothing special and not much of an upgrade (if any) over what we have.    Gross would make more sense than any of them.

SwarmingDefense

Pro Bowler
#5 : November 18, 2007, 11:38:40 PM

Faine and Gross... I want Dan to take over though

noopy2237

Starter
#6 : November 19, 2007, 12:00:53 AM

I like WR Bryant Johnson and sprinkle in some DE J. Smith and CB Samuels to make me happy come draft day.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 19, 2007, 12:35:15 AM

Their will be many more FA on the market, but on that list, only Bryant Johnson would seem to be a good fit at a reasonable price.  Turner's gonna by outrageously expensive, let him go, unless Bruce can work a trade or something, the Browns fans are ooing and awing all over Turner as well most everyone else without LT or AD.

#8 : November 19, 2007, 12:36:15 AM

if i'm not mistaken, Donte Stallworth is also a FA.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 19, 2007, 12:59:30 AM

Hackett sounds interesting. I've got him on my fantasy team and he has had three very solid weeks in a row. I'm not real high on Turner, in fact I'll be pretty pissed if we give him a big contract in the offseason. What does he do that Graham can't? I'd much rather stick with Graham, Pitt, and Carnell then sign Turner to a big contract. I believe I read that Fitzgerald can opt out of his contract after next season (or maybe after this season) so there was talk that the Cards could try and trade him instead of letting him walk and getting nothing. If we could snag him (or Hackett), drop Becht and bring in either Smith or Clark, and sign/draft a legit center we could be in very good shape next year.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 19, 2007, 01:12:25 AM

The jewel on that list, that's available, is DJ Hackett. Earnest Graham is the feature back we've been looking for!

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

#11 : November 19, 2007, 01:30:49 AM

Hackett sounds interesting. I've got him on my fantasy team and he has had three very solid weeks in a row. I'm not real high on Turner, in fact I'll be pretty pissed if we give him a big contract in the offseason. What does he do that Graham can't? I'd much rather stick with Graham, Pitt, and Carnell then sign Turner to a big contract. I believe I read that Fitzgerald can opt out of his contract after next season (or maybe after this season) so there was talk that the Cards could try and trade him instead of letting him walk and getting nothing. If we could snag him (or Hackett), drop Becht and bring in either Smith or Clark, and sign/draft a legit center we could be in very good shape next year.

I can't argue with your take on Turner.... Fitz would be an awesome acquisition.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#12 : November 19, 2007, 02:29:10 AM

The jewel on that list, that's available, is DJ Hackett. Earnest Graham is the feature back we've been looking for!

I disagree. Graham is good and he would be ok splitting carries with Cadillac but he's not a feature back.

140BPM

Practice Squad

#13 : November 19, 2007, 03:28:26 AM

Would or can Faneca convert to Center?

acacius

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 19, 2007, 08:33:24 AM

if i'm not mistaken, Donte Stallworth is also a FA.

Only if he has an option in his contract.  (Which is entirely possible, of course.) As written, it appears to go though 2012.

2007   700000.00
2008   1000000.00
2009   1000000.00
2010   4000000.00
2011   4000000.00
2012   4000000.00

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=32989

At least based on how the base salaries are set up, I'd expect him to stay with the Pats through 2010.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Top 10 Offensive free agents for 2008 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools