Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who want's a rookie QB? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

gone

Hall of Famer
#60 : November 18, 2006, 01:12:04 PM

What is this fascination with the "franchise QB"?  It's the team that gets it done.  Dilfer, Johnson, Warner, Hostetler, all got it done.  Marino didn't.  Manning hasn't.  McNabb hasn't.  Elway took forever to do it.  How many rings does Favre have after all these years of being the definition of "franchise QB"?  How close did we get with Shaun freakin King?  Is Delhomme a franchise QB?  How about Hasselback?  If Chicago gets there this year, will you consider Grossman a franchise QB?
Salary cap era,  Franchise QB means less than it used to.  It's great to have a stud there, no doubt.  But when your team has a million other holes to fill,  it isn't going to make that much of a difference.  One player, even a QB, can only carry a team so far.  And with the way QBs have been dropping like flies lately, you're only one injury away...look at Cincinati in the playoffs.  Once palmer went down it was over, they never had a chance.
Give me a Dominant oline and a solid defense over a franchise QB any day.  And we can't get it all in one year. 

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#61 : November 18, 2006, 01:20:40 PM

What is this fascination with the "franchise QB"? It's the team that gets it done. Dilfer, Johnson, Warner, Hostetler, all got it done. Marino didn't. Manning hasn't. McNabb hasn't. Elway took forever to do it. How many rings does Favre have after all these years of being the definition of "franchise QB"? How close did we get with Shaun freakin King? Is Delhomme a franchise QB? How about Hasselback? If Chicago gets there this year, will you consider Grossman a franchise QB?
Salary cap era, Franchise QB means less than it used to. It's great to have a stud there, no doubt. But when your team has a million other holes to fill, it isn't going to make that much of a difference. One player, even a QB, can only carry a team so far. And with the way QBs have been dropping like flies lately, you're only one injury away...look at Cincinati in the playoffs. Once palmer went down it was over, they never had a chance.
Give me a Dominant oline and a solid defense over a franchise QB any day. And we can't get it all in one year.

Once Palmer went out, they didn't have a chance....doesn't that show how important a Great QB can be? 

Our team has a million other holes you are right, so if we don't take a QB we fill a hole.  If we do take a QB we fill a hole.  Either way that pick may fill ONE hole.  We aren't going to turn it around next year regardless, we might as wlel try and get a great QB in here so every year we don't have to try and figure out who our QB is going to be.  Then we CAN fill out holes with other players.....

A QB alone isn't going to get it done, but neither is any other player.  But a QB can have a greater impact than any other single player.  You say Dilfer, I say Brady.  You say Hostetler, I say Montana.  Hasselback, Mcnabb may have lost, but they made the game.  Don't have a chance to win if you don't make the game. 

Of course not every SB team has a great QB, but if you have a great QB you are going to have a chance, and at the very least youare going to compete each year. 

spartan

Hall of Famer
#62 : November 19, 2006, 09:26:28 AM

I haven't read the whole thread so excuse me if I am off base, but I find it strange that there are those that propose the solution to our rookie QB problems is to go and get another rookie QB.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who want's a rookie QB? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools