Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Agents and draft « previous next »
Page: 1

smma

Second String

: November 18, 2006, 01:53:08 PM

Free Agency

1. Justin Smith DE
2. Ken Hamlin S

Draft

1. Ted Ginn WR/KR  (Ohio State) - Heir to Galloway
2a. Bandon Mebane DT (Cal) - 2005 - 7 sacks & 9.5 tackles for loss
2b. Stephen Nicholas LB (USF) - Heir to Brooks

T

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 18, 2006, 01:59:19 PM

Free Agency

-Dwight Freeney
-Adalious Thomas
-Ken Hamlin

Draft
-Calvin Johnson

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 18, 2006, 02:21:54 PM

I wouldn't mind having Justin Smith here. I think he's being overlooked due to the other names that have been thrown around on this board a la Briggs, Thomas, Freeney, Clements, etc. But he's been a pretty solid guy over in Cincy. He would be a great pick up. Freeney of course would be the top choice, but I don't think he's going to see the market.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#3 : November 18, 2006, 02:48:27 PM

I wouldn't mind having Justin Smith here. I think he's being overlooked due to the other names that have been thrown around on this board a la Briggs, Thomas, Freeney, Clements, etc. But he's been a pretty solid guy over in Cincy. He would be a great pick up. Freeney of course would be the top choice, but I don't think he's going to see the market.

As great as Freeney has been heralded.. he has 11 tackles and 1.5 sacks FOR THE **CENSORED**ING SEASON.. and YES he has started all 9 games. I dont care how many guys are blocking him.. he has been a complete non-factor. If he came to Tampa he would get the same treatment and we would prolly be worse for it. The guy is a huge reason why they are horrible against the run.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 18, 2006, 03:19:39 PM

As great as Freeney has been heralded.. he has 11 tackles and 1.5 sacks FOR THE freaking SEASON.. and YES he has started all 9 games. I dont care how many guys are blocking him.. he has been a complete non-factor. If he came to Tampa he would get the same treatment and we would prolly be worse for it. The guy is a huge reason why they are horrible against the run.

Wow, I didn't realize he was having such a bad season. Thats what happens when you blow up in the spotlight, now you're everyone's focus.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

smma

Second String

#5 : November 18, 2006, 07:41:21 PM

How about Cato June?
He knows the defense comming from Indy.

psymun

Starter
#6 : November 18, 2006, 07:56:46 PM

Freeney has been blocked by litterally 3 guys every game... usually 2 lineman and a back or TE... and he has a ton of pressures too...

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 18, 2006, 08:11:55 PM

Freeney even though blocked well have been a MAJOR disturbance on that side of the field and stops the run pretty well.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#8 : November 18, 2006, 09:57:45 PM

How does Freeney stop the run well?  He has lower or comparable tackle totals than Rice each year, the guy everyone says doesn't play the run.

I can listen to the suggestion that Freeney could be a better speed rusher than Rice (though that can still be argued when you look at their careers), but if anyone isn't happy with the role that Rice plays as an on and off pass rusher who only does that one thing, there's little upgrade to be gained by breaking the bank on Freeney should he be available.

Personally I would much rather get two solid FAs for the price of Freeney.  He used to be amazing, then had a huge year by using a spin move to the inside, and now that's the only move he uses.  It's part of the reason he's been ineffective this year.  Last season, the guy had 11 sacks (Rice had 14), but only 35 tackles (30 solo).  That puts him at 59th....of DEs in the league (not overall, not Dlinemen...just ends).  Ahead of him on our roster alone: White with 36, Simeon with 40, Spires with 47.  League leader was Strahan...with 82.

In 2004, with that league leading 16 sack performance, his tackles were at 36.  In 2003, he played in 15 games and had 11 sacks, but again only 32 tackles.

I agree that any team can find a use for a pass rushing DE in this league and that there's nothing wrong with a pass rusher who doesn't also rack up tackles (though there are guys who can do both); but why break the bank on a one dimensonal player?  The draft is full of guys who are one dimensional.  If you just want a guy to pass rush and get sacks, draft a speed DE or even a blitzing tweener like Mark Anderson last year in a later round, line him up on passing downs and just have him attack.

Save the bank for the guys who are multidimensional...and I don't mean guys like Julian Jenkins who can play multi positions, I mean guys who are really special at more than one thing. 
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Free Agents and draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools