Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Effort to improve pass rush « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
: November 27, 2007, 10:09:50 AM

I agree.  It's coming together right at the perfect time.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#1 : November 27, 2007, 10:09:05 AM

Much was made about the Bucs effort to improve the pass rush over the offseason. The media and some fans complained that the Bucs let go of their 3 best pass rushers, which would contradict the notion that improving the pass rush was an actually priority.

So, the Bucs did not retain the services of Simeon Rice, Dewayne White and Ellis Wyms. In essence, those players were replaced with Gaines Adams, Greg White, and Jovan Haye.

Rice, D White, and Wyms have combined for   48 tackles   7.5 sacks   2 FF

Adams, G White, and Haye have combined for   94 Tackles   13 sacks   5 FF

If you add in Carter and Chukwurah, who were also brought in to help the dline, the totals are  136 Tackles  17 sacks   6 FF

The defense already has 23 sacks through 11 games. In all of 2006  they had 25 sacks.  On another note, INTs are up from last year too. 2006 defense had just 11 INTs and 20 turnovers total. 2007 defense has 12 INTs and 24 total turnovers already.

While the pass rush needs to get better to meet the high standards we have here, I have to say I am still pleased with the improvement made on the defensive line.  Count me as one of those who was skeptical about some of the offseason moves on the Dline, but I believe now that the FO made the right decisions. If they are able to add another impact player to the line through the draft or FA, then this line could be set for a few years.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 27, 2007, 10:33:41 AM

Quite impressive.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#3 : November 27, 2007, 10:36:07 AM

And all of the major contributors, minus Carter, are pretty young, this line has a lot of potential, gotta love that.

Chucky4mayor

Starter

#4 : November 27, 2007, 10:42:51 AM

great post.......we should sell the farm for Haynesworth who will be a free-agent after this year, imagine how good White and Adams would be if they had big Al in the middle.  We have enough money to make him the highest paid defender in the league and i think we should pull the trigger on that transaction.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 27, 2007, 02:14:34 PM

It might be Ryan Sims.

dodda45

Starter
#6 : November 27, 2007, 11:08:05 AM

I like Haynesworth too but I think he will probably be franchised next year.

Chucky4mayor

Starter

#7 : November 27, 2007, 11:12:47 AM

your probably right, one can only dream though!

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 27, 2007, 11:20:21 AM

I'm not sold on Haynesworth.  
I'd rather we go after the DT that's leading the league in tackles, is 4th among all D-lineman in tackles, and is 6th in sacks.
The guys is a stud and we need to sign him now...Oh Wait! He is already here...

Jovan Haye. 53 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 pass d.  

He may have 1 less sack than Haynesworth but Haye has 23 more tackles.  That tells me better against the run.
He is young, he is still learning, he is improving every game, and most important he is already here and cheap at that.
I think we give him more snaps, let him develop, and we have our DT.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#9 : November 27, 2007, 12:13:40 PM

I'm not sold on Haynesworth. 
I'd rather we go after the DT that's leading the league in tackles, is 4th among all D-lineman in tackles, and is 6th in sacks.
The guys is a stud and we need to sign him now...Oh Wait! He is already here...

Jovan Haye. 53 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 pass d. 

He may have 1 less sack than Haynesworth but Haye has 23 more tackles.  That tells me better against the run.
He is young, he is still learning, he is improving every game, and most important he is already here and cheap at that.
I think we give him more snaps, let him develop, and we have our DT.

They play completely different positions and have entirely different responsibilities. Haynesworth is a mandatory double-team on every play. This is what we need.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#10 : November 27, 2007, 01:03:18 PM

If Quincy Black is so fast why not have him in on Blitz packages

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 27, 2007, 01:07:07 PM

I think the line next year is:
LDE-Adams
UT-Haye
NT-Sims
RDE-White

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 27, 2007, 01:07:17 PM

The team needs a DT who'll get a pretty big push to prevent the QB from stepping up.  That's the biggest problem with the pass rush right now.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 27, 2007, 02:18:36 PM

They are drastically different from the Seattle game, that's for sure.  But we certainly, at the very least, need the consistency.  More pressure would be nice but if they stay at this rate I'll be content to wait for more improvement...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 27, 2007, 02:44:17 PM

Haye lacks power

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Effort to improve pass rush « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools