Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Imagine Gruden having Campbell « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#30 : November 19, 2006, 09:07:20 PM

We are going to roll with Grads and/or a vet next year anyway right?  Plus we would have virtually the same rookie 1st round contract.  Don't see a difference.

It is a great plan, but only a grads slobber knocker like you wouldn't realize that.  When was the last time this franchise spent an offseason not wondering who the QB would be, or if the QB we had was "the guy"?  Even BJ there were always questions.  I think it's about time we tried to make an investment into that positon and get a guy in here where for 10 years we won't have to wonder "who is going to start??"

Gruden thinks Grads has a future and so do many other people in the NFL.  The very best thing for the Bucs is if he does progress and benefit from this season and taking the snaps with the starters in camp.    If Gruden doesn't think Grads will be starting next year they will go after one of the better FA, like Schaub or Plummer. 

I just can't see then having a draft pick and huge chunk of change wrapped up in a player that will not play for a couple of years.  They can take a WR or LT, and they would probably be an instant upgrade on what we have now.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#31 : November 19, 2006, 09:11:52 PM

We are going to roll with Grads and/or a vet next year anyway right?  Plus we would have virtually the same rookie 1st round contract.  Don't see a difference.

It is a great plan, but only a grads slobber knocker like you wouldn't realize that.  When was the last time this franchise spent an offseason not wondering who the QB would be, or if the QB we had was "the guy"?  Even BJ there were always questions.  I think it's about time we tried to make an investment into that positon and get a guy in here where for 10 years we won't have to wonder "who is going to start??"

Gruden thinks Grads has a future and so do many other people in the NFL. The very best thing for the Bucs is if he does progress and benefit from this season and taking the snaps with the starters in camp. If Gruden doesn't think Grads will be starting next year they will go after one of the better FA, like Schaub or Plummer.

I just can't see then having a draft pick and huge chunk of change wrapped up in a player that will not play for a couple of years. They can take a WR or LT, and they would probably be an instant upgrade on what we have now.
Ok, and a year or 2 from now we will be having the discussion of what QB we should bring in.....

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#32 : November 19, 2006, 09:16:51 PM

Ok, and a year or 2 from now we will be having the discussion of what QB we should bring in.....

That could be the case if we draft a QB in the 1st round.  Whether you like it to admit it or not Grads is doing OK with a difficult playbook, behind a really poor O-line.   At this stage there is a good chance he will be a decent NFL starter.  We could draft a rookie and they could bomb out in two or three years.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#33 : November 19, 2006, 09:29:28 PM

That could be the case if we draft a QB in the 1st round. Whether you like it to admit it or not Grads is doing OK with a difficult playbook, behind a really poor O-line. At this stage there is a good chance he will be a decent NFL starter. We could draft a rookie and they could bomb out in two or three years.

Whether you like to admit it or not, Grads will never be more than an average starter in this league.  Our team is not built to win anymore with an average QB. It's time to rebuild. 

It's sad that at the end of the game Gruden had to go ultra conservative (which could have cost us ) deep in Redskins territory because he had no faith in Grads.  We ran 3 times and kicked a FG.  With 90% of QB's you get a TD there and guarentee victory. Instead you are afarid Grads throws another INT deep in opponents territory and settle for a FG.

We will need a new starting QB in a year or 2 when either A. Grads sucks so bad Gruden finally yanks him or B. Gruden gets fired and the new coach gets rid of Grads because he doesn't have the hardon Gruden does and realizes Grads is NOT the answer.

I just would rather do it this offseason and get the ball rolling while we are rebuilding everything rather than put off getting a QB to the point where we have a great team hindered by the QB position again.  IMO we would have 2-3 SB's if we had a good QB all those years.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#34 : November 19, 2006, 09:37:01 PM

It's sad that at the end of the game Gruden had to go ultra conservative (which could have cost us ) deep in Redskins territory because he had no faith in Grads.  We ran 3 times and kicked a FG.  With 90% of QB's you get a TD there and guarentee victory. Instead you are afarid Grads throws another INT deep in opponents territory and settle for a FG.

Gruden called you on your cell and told you that was what he was doing then.  ;)  Grads has a pretty good TD conversion percentage when he is in the redzone, so I doubt Gruden's decision had much to do with lack of confidence.   With just over three minutes left and the opposing team having a rookie QB, playing keep ball and getting a ten point lead was the right thing to do.

gone

Hall of Famer
#35 : November 19, 2006, 09:40:01 PM

That could be the case if we draft a QB in the 1st round. Whether you like it to admit it or not Grads is doing OK with a difficult playbook, behind a really poor O-line. At this stage there is a good chance he will be a decent NFL starter. We could draft a rookie and they could bomb out in two or three years.

Whether you like to admit it or not, Grads will never be more than an average starter in this league.  Our team is not built to win anymore with an average QB. It's time to rebuild. 

We will need a new starting QB in a year or 2 when either A. Grads sucks so bad Gruden finally yanks him or B. Gruden gets fired and the new coach gets rid of Grads because he doesn't have the hardon Gruden does and realizes Grads is NOT the answer.

I just would rather do it this offseason and get the ball rolling while we are rebuilding everything rather than put off getting a QB to the point where we have a great team hindered by the QB position again.  IMO we would have 2-3 SB's if we had a good QB all those years.

There really isn't anything to say to this.  If YOU say he'll never be more than an average starter, I guess Jon's wrong and you're right.  If YOU say 90% of QBs get that TD, then I guess the whole red zone thing is wrong, just give em 7 and don't bother to play when they hit the 20.  I suppose running down the clock and making it a 2 score game (when a FG basically wins it) rather than taking a riskier approach by throwing, indicates a total lack of faith in a QB who was (last time I checked 2-3 weeks ago) leading the league in red-zone rating.

Glad we have you here to straighten us out...
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Imagine Gruden having Campbell « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools