Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GRUDEN RESPONDS TO TRIBUNE ARTICLE « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

calicojack

Starter
#15 : November 19, 2006, 07:47:51 PM

Question has to be: Was Kaufman there when Gruden went off?  I doubt he was.

The Dream Team

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#16 : November 19, 2006, 07:50:54 PM

Kaufman, who is the Trib's NFL writer, was not present. He was at the Dallas-Indy game.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#17 : November 19, 2006, 07:54:19 PM

Kaufman, who is the Trib's NFL writer, was not present. He was at the Dallas-Indy game.

That's even more spineless and gutless

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 19, 2006, 07:56:40 PM

he was probably kissing dungys butt

BuccoJD

Starter

#19 : November 19, 2006, 08:00:36 PM

I'm going to stop reading the Tampa Tribune until Ira Kaufman backs up his story, or he is fired.

This type of journalism could destroy team chemistry and could hurt relationships within the Buc organization. I for one am really POed at the article and I'm backing Gruden until I am shown some actual evidence.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#20 : November 19, 2006, 08:01:41 PM

I agree with BuccoJD....OBD

gharen

Pro Bowler

#21 : November 19, 2006, 08:02:29 PM

Kaufman being in Dallas reminds me of when Duemig used to go off on Dilfer but would never show up at any practices.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#22 : November 19, 2006, 08:29:49 PM

While I of course have the utmost respect for Scott and his sources,  I've read the Tampa Sports pages all my life. I can't remember Ira Kaufman floating a rumor this large before.  If it was Rick Stroud or Cummings....that would be one thing, since McKay left, those bozos just throw stuff at a wall and hope some of it sticks, but Kaufman? He seems to be a pretty well respected dude around the NFL circles, that's why he's the Trib's top NFL writer.

Kaufman is risking his reputation by putting this out and to me, it wasn't presented as a casual rumor - but a matter-of-fact from a trusted source.

Remember this Buc fans, Herm Edwards, a man I deem as one of the most honest guys in the business, denied up and down that he would ever leave the Jets for the Chiefs. I think he denied it the day before the deal was completed and he put on a Chiefs hat. And as we also all know if Gruden indeed wants an exit....it wouldn't be the first time he's done something like this.

I'm not saying its absolute truth or a ridiculous lie. I'm just saying that if I was to come up with a rumor on the future of Gruden, it would be the Glazers putting out the feelers, not Jon. This article totally blindsided me. I was stunned and I struggled to understand it...but after awhile, you begin to realize that maybe Jon just wears out a welcome, you know? Maybe he's the NFL version of Larry Brown....never satisfied where he is at...always looking for the better situation. Perhaps Gruden feels the venom of the fans and also knows that one more poor year and he will be fired....which looks a hell of a lot worse than getting his rights traded to the Dallas Cowboys or the Pittsburgh Steelers (as ProFootballTalk rumor mongers...). Maybe what they say about his massive ego is true...maybe he can't take the criticism and only likes it when he is the golden boy and everyone loves him.

I'm of course just speculating. I just wouldn't dismiss this outright so quickly...

And believe me, this is coming from a guy who views Gruden as the Bucs Bill Cowher or Don Shula. I was hoping to see him here 20 yrs.

calicojack

Starter
#23 : November 19, 2006, 08:39:09 PM

Printing this story now, whether he has credible sources or not, serves only one purpose.  I find that disreputable.  He could have waited until offseason and followed up with his source.

The Dream Team

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#24 : November 19, 2006, 08:50:18 PM

Printing this story now, whether he has credible sources or not, serves only one purpose.  I find that disreputable.  He could have waited until offseason and followed up with his source.

Kaufman is a newsman, he isn't a fan of the team. It isn't his responsibility to hold news or shield the team from negative reports. If he's got a source who says Gruden is looking for an exit strategy, then he needs to report it. Its what he gets paid for...and he gets paid better if he gets it before anyone else does.

Its the same thing as Stroud putting the "Dungy fired if we lose" article the day of the 01 Eagles playoff game. It completely sucked for the Bucs and I truly believe contributed to the team's performance...but he was right....he had a good source (the GM) and he scooped everyone.

That's his job. Right or wrong. They report the news and whatever happens happens.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 19, 2006, 08:53:15 PM

I have written a letter to the editor of the Tribune via their online link to voice my displeasure with the "article" if we can even call it that.

I strongly suggest as many of us as possible do the same.  Its time for us to stand up for our coach and our team against this type of garbage from the local media.  Jon deserves better, the team deserves better, and our city deserves better.

Bucna

Practice Squad

#26 : November 19, 2006, 09:05:01 PM

Gruden will be the Head Football Coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers next year, no worries.

#27 : November 19, 2006, 09:08:34 PM

I have written a letter to the editor of the Tribune via their online link to voice my displeasure with the "article" if we can even call it that.

I strongly suggest as many of us as possible do the same.  Its time for us to stand up for our coach and our team against this type of garbage from the local media.  Jon deserves better, the team deserves better, and our city deserves better.
the whole TB media is ####. That's why fans have to turn to PR and fan blogs to keep up to date with 'real' opinions rather than agenda based opinions. Look at how great PR is, and DRB beat the entire TB media to the Iwamura and Hickey moves this week, hell we have most of WDAE reading us now according to a pretty good source within 620.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#28 : November 19, 2006, 11:21:03 PM

I am certainly not saying this is true or not, but why would you just pull something like this out of the thin air with nothing behind it at all?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#29 : November 19, 2006, 11:24:23 PM

I am certainly not saying this is true or not, but why would you just pull something like this out of the thin air with nothing behind it at all?

If concocted, the the reason you do it is to further disrupt the team. If someone were hoping for a Gruden firing, this would be the sort of thing to help move in that direction if it has an impact on the team. You get the players questioning whether or not their coach is headed out of town.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: GRUDEN RESPONDS TO TRIBUNE ARTICLE « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools