Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "I think the 'surge' is working," - Murtha « previous next »
Page: 1 2

superbuc

Practice Squad
: November 29, 2007, 10:33:21 PM

I give the guy credit for going over and seeing for himself...

Murtha finds military progress in trip to Iraq

Warns that Iraqis must do more for their own security

Thursday, November 29, 2007

By Jerome L. Sherman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

WASHINGTON - U.S. Rep. John Murtha today said he saw signs of military progress during a brief trip to Iraq last week, but he warned that Iraqis need to play a larger role in providing their own security and the Bush administration still must develop an exit strategy.

"I think the 'surge' is working," the Democrat said in a videoconference from his Johnstown office, describing the president's decision to commit more than 20,000 additional combat troops this year. But the Iraqis "have got to take care of themselves."

Violence has dropped significantly in recent months, but Mr. Murtha said he was most encouraged by changes in the once-volatile Anbar province, where locals have started working closely with U.S. forces to isolate insurgents linked to Al Qaeda.

He said Iraqis need to duplicate that success at the national level, but the central government in Baghdad is "dysfunctional."

Mr. Murtha's four day-trip took him to a Thanksgiving dinner with troops in Kuwait last Thursday, and he then made stops in Iraq, Turkey and Belgium

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07333/837824-100.stm#

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 29, 2007, 11:37:21 PM

Murtha, I thought our troops looked to kill innocent people. Murtha=scum

superbuc

Practice Squad
#2 : November 30, 2007, 12:21:09 AM

Now see, I was trying to be nice! ;)

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 30, 2007, 01:16:28 AM

Violence is down. But there's a lot more to it than the surge.

This explains it a but more...

http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/world/ny-wowar185466224nov18,0,2160535.story

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
#4 : November 30, 2007, 02:06:26 PM

Exactly when and where did he say this?

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

superbuc

Practice Squad
#5 : December 01, 2007, 01:38:59 AM

that wasnt the whole murtha quote....dont just listen to rush folks

Which quote are you talking about?  Ufojoe already posted info about the "killing in cold blood" quote and its context.  I posted both "the surge is working" quote and the part where Murtha says more work needs to be done so their govt. can function.  The point is, I respect Murtha for going over there, seeing it for himself, and acknowledging that it is working.

ADW, the surge has been at full capacity for maybe 4 months.  The generals admit that the Iraqis aren't ready, BUT, they say that they're very pleased with how far they've come since the first of the year.

ufojoe, the bandaid analogy are both of your opinions.  You can argue if you want about if we should have gone or not, but, the fact is the situation NOW that we're trying to clean up.   A smart commander in chief wouldn't pull out just to get the troops home (they do volunteer for duty, you know, they know what may happen, they're ok with that for the honor of the country).  

A smart commander in chief will let Patreaus finish the mission and draw down when it makes sense.  Everybody knows we'll be in the area even after the majority of the troops come home.  No, I think the surge is a "cast" that the doc will take off when the legs can walk on their own.

Spare me with the "don't just listen to rush" comments.  I don't have time to listen to Rush.  How about "don't just listen to mainstream media" which has been found that an overwhelming majority of their "reporters" vote for democrats?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 30, 2007, 04:22:45 PM

Exactly when and where did he say this?

its called youtube. I believe he said it on meet the depressed. It was pretty big news

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 30, 2007, 04:38:45 PM

Here's what he said and why it was controversial. It's obvious to any thinking
person that Murtha was referring to the troops involved in the Haditha killings
and not ALL members of the military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Murtha#Haditha.2C_Iraq_killings

superbuc

Practice Squad
#8 : November 30, 2007, 06:56:04 PM

Violence is down. But there's a lot more to it than the surge.

This explains it a but more...

http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/world/ny-wowar185466224nov18,0,2160535.story

That's a fair article and my point is that Murtha has come a long way in the last 4 or 5 months.  For him to say these new things after what he's said this past year is amazing.  He hasn't said, "I was wrong", but, at least he has the decency to acknowledge major progress. 

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 30, 2007, 08:14:57 PM

The surge is working thats why you dont hear to much about Iraq in the news these days. It IS getting better.
Give it another 4-6 months and troops may begin to come home for good.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 30, 2007, 08:51:14 PM

Yeah, I judge how well the war is doing by how much ABC, CBS, NBC talks about it. They no longer talk about it so its going better

samsdad

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 30, 2007, 10:59:44 PM

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 30, 2007, 11:31:40 PM

Do you think the "war" in Iraq is turning for the better?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 01, 2007, 01:15:14 AM

The band aid analogy is a correct one. However, things HAVE improved. Just don't know
how long it's going to hold because of the way it was done. It's more than just the surge.
I had read a really good article about this but I can't find it now.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 01, 2007, 01:23:37 AM

The point of the surge was to buy the Iraqi government time to pull it together and to buy the Iraqi police/military time to train.

He said Iraqis need to duplicate that success at the national level, but the central government in Baghdad is "dysfunctional."

So the surge would be a wasted effort if the Iraqi government is still in the fetal position when it is all said and done.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "I think the 'surge' is working," - Murtha « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools