Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5 Division Championships in 10 Years! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20

#30 : December 05, 2007, 08:18:47 PM

You know you'll probably see the Colts, the Patriots, or the Cowboys. Before the season even starts, it's easy to pick those teams. It's consistency. T

You do know that the Cowboys went 5-11 for 3 consecutive years from 2000-2002 and also went 6-10 in 2004. Theyve only played in 2 playoff games the past 8 years, both losses.

Gruden/Allen were building from scratch. Consistency will come the more and more this team grows. This team was in shambles, it had to be torn apart, and now it is being rebuilt. Thats not called inconsistency, its called a plan. When we make the playoffs the next 5 years people might realize that this is all true

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 05, 2007, 08:24:33 PM

ronde bear -  I do think the team is building for the long haul and both Gruden and Allen have a vision for the Bucs, not sure what they invision will be a the finally product but think the roster will be slightly tweaked every year from here on out

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Chucky4mayor

Starter

#32 : December 05, 2007, 08:33:29 PM

Why would you compare this team to an up and down team like the Marlins?

because we've been an up and down team since Gruden got here....but i dont care, i like Gruden and would rather have 1 Super Bowl every 10yrs then none at all.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#33 : December 05, 2007, 08:46:49 PM

the problem  with that is even though he has 5 division title in 10 years since he has been the coach here he has also laid an egg the following year, it is great that when things are going good he is the coach you want calling the plays, but what happens if the Glazers sign him to an extension and he stumbles next season that is a pattern that cant be denied. I thing he is how ever starting to change and mature but would like to see what next season brings before handing out a contract extension.

The so called "pattern" is due to extenuating circumstances. Its almost like teh argument "Gruden cant develop a young QB. Im interested in researching every Qb Gruden has ever caoched undee the age of 30 since his Philly days, but Im sure the list is headed by Chris Simms and Marques Tuiasisopo. Give him a 1st or 2nd round talent that fits his offense and this myth will quickly be discarded

When things are going good, Gruden is a good caoch. When things are going bad, Gruden is a good coach. His so called emergence from bad caoch to good caoch to bad coach again is laughable to me
Why the pattern in Oakland? Is it something inside of Gruden or is it having to play against the #1 schedule? Or is it poor drafting, or injuries catching up said team?

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 05, 2007, 09:16:04 PM

You know you'll probably see the Colts, the Patriots, or the Cowboys. Before the season even starts, it's easy to pick those teams. It's consistency. T

You do know that the Cowboys went 5-11 for 3 consecutive years from 2000-2002 and also went 6-10 in 2004. Theyve only played in 2 playoff games the past 8 years, both losses.

I was trying to throw out an NFC team, and the Cowboys were the best I could come up with really. The AFC is such a stronger division than the NFC, but I wanted to represent someone from the NFC in my comment.

Chucky4mayor

Starter

#35 : December 05, 2007, 09:30:47 PM

Why the pattern in Oakland? Is it something inside of Gruden or is it having to play against the #1 schedule? Or is it poor drafting, or injuries catching up said team?

What is this pattern in Oakland you are talking about?  His first 2 seasons were both 8-8.  3rd year they went 12-4 to win the division, 4th year they went 10-6 to win the division, year after that his old team and new team go to the SuperBowl and he wins it. 

hmmmmm.......i think I've just found a new stat for you Gruden haters.   5 division championships in last 8 years!  i kinda like the pattern, whatever the hell it is.

BUCarino

Pro Bowler

#36 : December 05, 2007, 09:33:38 PM

Well, how many fans are willing to live with a two year span at the most being up and in the playoffs then have a few down eyars, all because it takes a veteran qb to run the west coast rather then drafting and grooming the right guy now?

IMHO that's a pretty rediculous take!  What is a Lombardi trophy worth?  I remember many on this on other boards saying they would be willing to put up with 10 losing seasons for that one SB title?  You do know he won the Lombardi right?
the problem with that is even though he has 5 division title in 10 years since he has been the coach here he has also laid an egg the following year, it is great that when things are going good he is the coach you want calling the plays, but what happens if the Glazers sign him to an extension and he stumbles next season that is a pattern that cant be denied. I thing he is how ever starting to change and mature but would like to see what next season brings before handing out a contract extension.

The so called "pattern" is due to extenuating circumstances. Its almost like teh argument "Gruden cant develop a young QB. Im interested in researching every Qb Gruden has ever caoched undee the age of 30 since his Philly days, but Im sure the list is headed by Chris Simms and Marques Tuiasisopo. Give him a 1st or 2nd round talent that fits his offense and this myth will quickly be discarded

When things are going good, Gruden is a good caoch. When things are going bad, Gruden is a good coach. His so called emergence from bad caoch to good caoch to bad coach again is laughable to me

Grudens first two years with the Raiders were 8-8 while he was rebuilding them from a 4-12 season in 97 before he got there!  After those first two seasons at 8-8 which was a big turnaround they went 12-4 and then 10-6 and 2 division titles.  He probably would have had a Lombardi if not for the Brady tuck rule when he fumbled the ball, but it was not properly called.

"Life's too short not to live in caution,
But life's too long not to live at all!"

BUCarino

Pro Bowler

#37 : December 05, 2007, 09:36:18 PM

What is this pattern in Oakland you are talking about? His first 2 seasons were both 8-8. 3rd year they went 12-4 to win the division, 4th year they went 10-6 to win the division, year after that his old team and new team go to the SuperBowl and he wins it.

hmmmmm.......i think I've just found a new stat for you Gruden haters. 5 division championships in last 8 years! i kinda like the pattern, whatever the hell it is.

Funny as I was posting the same thing at the same time! :)  IMHO I do not think the Ghost even follows football as he's always wrong and never knows any facts, he just throws crap against the wall hoping it sticks and nobody calls him on it?

"Life's too short not to live in caution,
But life's too long not to live at all!"

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 05, 2007, 09:39:20 PM

Gruden's going to go to the grave still angry at that "tuck".  ;) It's a lot of things that lead to a team having peaks and valleys. The bottom line, strength of schedule shouldn't matter if you're a legitimate contender and a strong football team. You should be able to dominate the bad teams and dominate the good ones too. Next year if they have a first-rate schedule and end up 4-12 again, then I think there's something to that. I don't think that's a strength of schedule issue as much as it's another unseen issue that plagues a team. If you're a strong team, you should be able to take down your competition year after year.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 05, 2007, 09:58:05 PM

The other 5 years he was 8-8 or worse and he won the SB with Dungy's team. Since he turned us into his team we've lost a home playoff game and been the joke of the division the other years. This year is a fluke with all teams in the division having an off year, injuries to QBs of the teams we're playing and lucky double reverse garbage calls getting us wins. Nobody outside of Tampa thinks Gruden is a better coach then the 3 coaches individually that we can hire to replace him. If we extend him we're looking at several years of losing while rebuilding some more and if Monte leaves you're looking at a serious drop back to where we were before Dungy. I think we should give Monte the head coaching position and let Gruden head off to college ball where he can be a control freak and get away with it. Of course he wouldn't last in college because losing season's in college get you fired.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#40 : December 05, 2007, 10:02:45 PM

The other 5 years he was 8-8 or worse and he won the SB with Dungy's team. Since he turned us into his team we've lost a home playoff game and been the joke of the division the other years. This year is a fluke with all teams in the division having an off year, injuries to QBs of the teams we're playing and lucky double reverse garbage calls getting us wins. Nobody outside of Tampa thinks Gruden is a better coach then the 3 coaches individually that we can hire to replace him. If we extend him we're looking at several years of losing while rebuilding some more and if Monte leaves you're looking at a serious drop back to where we were before Dungy. I think we should give Monte the head coaching position and let Gruden head off to college ball where he can be a control freak and get away with it. Of course he wouldn't last in college because losing season's in college get you fired.
He won with Gruden's offense.

You are a stupid human being.  The worst kind.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 05, 2007, 10:05:12 PM

First off, Gruden's style of offense wont work in college. He's not going to college and he has said he is only intersted in NFL football. So why his name keeps popping up for everytime a college job opens up is beyond me.

Chucky4mayor

Starter

#42 : December 05, 2007, 10:08:46 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Chucky4mayor

Starter

#43 : December 05, 2007, 10:10:18 PM

Chucky won with Dungy's team in '02....but you better believe that it turned to his team in '03 when we were 7-9 right?

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 05, 2007, 10:11:10 PM

04' is when I've been posting that he made it his team.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 5 Division Championships in 10 Years! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools