Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yucc's Best Bets « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: December 08, 2007, 01:37:53 PM

Yucc’s Best Bets

With the College football season all but over with just the bowls remaining, I have decided to look ahead at the NFL draft and the current needs of the Buccaneers. The Bucs are going to make plenty of noise in free agency this off-season. So some of the teams needs will be met through that avenue rather then the draft.

When looking at the Buccaneers current stable of QB’s there is no clear cut future on the team. Even with the recent success of Luke McCown, fans should not get to high on the prospects of Luke being the future once the ageing Garcia calls it quits. Gradkowski is nothing more then a clipboard carrying space eating waterboy. Chris Simms while has some things to his game doesn’t have the mental toughness nor the skill set for the west coast system.

Yucc’s Best Bets QB
1.   Matt Ryan QB Boston College – Ryan is a gun slinger,  that excels in the short to medium passing game. His ability to read defense puts him ahead of the other top guys in this years class of qbs

2.   Josh Johnson QB San Diego – Johnson has the athletic ability coaches love, has a strong arm excels in the passing game can make all the NFL throws. Use his legs in the pocket to keep plays alive. Well versed in the West Coast System.

3.   Joe Flacco QB Delaware -  Flacco has all the tools to play at the next level, strong arm, decent mobility, pocket presence. But what he lacks is playing big time college football. 

4.   Kevin O’Connell  QB San Diego State – O’Connell is more of a runner then a true qb. Need some work on his mechanics and will take time to develop into an NFL caliber qb       

Sure the Bucs have Earnest Graham, but with Carnell Williams likely out for most of 2008 recovering from his injury and both Michael Pittman and Michael Bennett being free agents after the season the teams needs to address the RB position.

Yucc’s Best Bets RB
1.   Ray Rice RB Rutgers – Short in stature squatty thick build, displays good vision, balance makes the first tackler miss, is a north south runner who picks up the tough yards.

2.   Kevin Smith RB UCF – Tall lean runner that has and explosive running style, has good vision and balance, uses his stiff arm to gain extra yards, has decent hands in the passing game. Is a bit of an upright runner.

3.   Chris Johnson RB East Carolina - Has it all -- speed, elusiveness, hands, route-running skills, quickness, explosion and competitive fire. Shows good vision to locate the hole and burst through it.. Also is one of the nations better kick returners.

4.   Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois – Tough runner that picks up the tough yardage, has a thick lower body, has decent vision and burst through the hole, decent in the passing. Will blocker in pass protection

With both Joey Galloway getting up their in age and Clayton not showing much in the passing game along with Stovall’s inability to crack the starting lineup the team will be looking to add a talented receiver in the off season.

Yucc’s Best Bet WR
1.   Harry Douglas WR Louisville – Short and extremely quick wide receiver, good route running, decent hands can stretch defenses.. An accomplished receiver that can put pressure on defensive backs with his speed.

2.   DJ Hall WR Alabama – Playmaker, great leaping ability, strong hands, catches ball away from body with strong hands, good separation of the line use deep speed to get by defenders. Needs to work on getting in and out of his cuts quicker.

3.   Lavelle Hawkins WR Cal - Shows decent speed, willing to go over the middle and make the tough catches in traffic.. shows decent agility and body control. Needs work on catching passes away from his body.

4.    Jerome Simpson WR Coastal Carolina – is the All Big South’s lading receiver with 161 career receptions, 2720 yards and 44 touchdowns. Has decent speed, use hands well at the line, shows the ability to make the tough catch in traffic, decent route runner.

With John Wade being a free agent and not likely to return, Dan Buenning a project a center and Matt Lehr on a one year deal the team needs to look at the center position.

Yucc’s Best Bet
1.   Mike Pollak C Arizona St. - compactly built. Good knee bender, shows pop at the point of attack, anchors well against the run. Plays through the whistle. Can read defense and adjust on the fly.

2.   Kory Lichtensteiger C Bowling Green – can play both center and left guard is intelligence, plays with good technique and gives good effort. A four year starter and team captain.

3.   Juan Garcia C Washington – Uses hands well, has thick lower build anchors well in the running game. Played on an offensive line that allowed just 19 sacks. Needs to work on technique and foot work at the next level.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 08, 2007, 01:39:07 PM

Will breakdown the Tackles and the defense later on next week.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#2 : December 08, 2007, 05:23:50 PM

Defanitely a fan of getting Douglas or DJ Hall, both should be quality recievers at this level.

buckit

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 08, 2007, 06:22:06 PM

Of them QB's, I like Johnson.  Mobile, big arm and familiarity with the WCO.  Sounds like a young Garcia. 

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 08, 2007, 07:53:44 PM

nice post.  harry douglas is an intriguing option.  i've heard he has good YAC skills and he put up great college numbers but i've never seem him play.  how is his deep speed?  does he have any KR or PR ability?

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#5 : December 08, 2007, 07:55:32 PM

nice post. harry douglas is an intriguing option. i've heard he has good YAC skills and he put up great college numbers but i've never seem him play. how is his deep speed? does he have any KR or PR ability?
He is a mid 4.3 to high 4.3/4.4 type guy, I don't think he has ever been a KR in college, but i could be wrong. Either way with that type of speed and his ability to make plays after the catch I wouldn't doubt him being a good return man.

EDITED to his actual speed

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 08, 2007, 07:59:44 PM

wow.  i didn't think he was that fast.  seems like if he has that type of speed with his stats he'd be a 1st rd lock, but he isn't mentioned in the same sentence as Jackson, Sweed, Doucet or Malcolm Kelly as 1st rd receivers. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 08, 2007, 08:39:41 PM

nice post. harry douglas is an intriguing option. i've heard he has good YAC skills and he put up great college numbers but i've never seem him play. how is his deep speed? does he have any KR or PR ability?
He is a high 4.2 to mid 4.3 type guy, I don't think he has ever been a KR in college, but i could be wrong. Either way with that type of speed and his ability to make plays after the catch I wouldn't doubt him being a good return man.

Harry Douglas' time is 4.38.  Don't exaggerate him by a full tenth.

Harry Douglas, Louisville  (11/8)
Height: 5-11. Weight: 176.
40 Time: 4.38.
Projected Round: 3.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008WR.php

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#8 : December 08, 2007, 08:41:34 PM

He is a high 4.2 to mid 4.3 type guy, I don't think he has ever been a KR in college, but i could be wrong. Either way with that type of speed and his ability to make plays after the catch I wouldn't doubt him being a good return man.

Harry Douglas' time is 4.38. Don't exaggerate him by a full tenth.

Harry Douglas, Louisville (11/8)
Height: 5-11. Weight: 176.
40 Time: 4.38.
Projected Round: 3.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008WR.php

Yea I think I mixed his times up with Avery... lets chill and not get all worked up though, sorry...

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 08, 2007, 08:44:23 PM

OK.

I am not worked up at all.  Just trying to get the facts straight for everybody.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 08, 2007, 10:01:28 PM

Good list. I'd add Tashard Choice from Georgia Tech to the running backs.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yucc's Best Bets « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools