Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2007 All-American Lists « previous next »
Page: 1

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

: December 12, 2007, 05:52:25 PM

Composite of all NCAA approved AA teams:

Florida schools represented:

UF -     Tebow, Harvin
USF -   Selvie, Jenkins
UCF -   K Smith
FSU -   Nobody
Miami - Nobody

Smith, Tebow, Selvie were all hosed on 1 list so they didn't get consensus, but great job nonetheless.

Even TROY has a representative!

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 12, 2007, 07:04:46 PM

Smith, Tebow, Selvie were all hosed on 1 list so they didn't get consensus, but great job nonetheless.

Although I'm not really sure how that works, Selvie and Smith are both being called Consensus All-Americans ... couldn't find anything about Tebow being one but he'd almost have to be by whatever criteria is used for that.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#2 : December 12, 2007, 07:09:08 PM

I suppose they can be called whatever anyone wants. 

I am fairly certain that these are the "approved" NCAA lists.  To me, being consensus would mean being on them all, but I could be wrong.  Maybe 4 of 5 is good enough.

Either way, all players mentioned on any list here had phenomenal seasons and I don't think being considered consensus or not takes anything away from that.

On another note, I was surprised to see Percy get his props on the one list.  I don't doubt he is a top flight player but given his dual role and the way UF spreads the love passing I didn't think he'd get the credit he deserves. 

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#3 : December 12, 2007, 07:12:11 PM

Ok, found this:

The NCAA’s consensus All-American team is based upon point totals through inclusion on five teams – AP, AFCA, FWAA, The Sporting News and Walter Camp Foundation.  First Team selections count for three points, second team for two and third team for one.

That clears it up a bit.

I think that puts Tebow as consensus also.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 12, 2007, 07:18:33 PM

Harvin is a great talent, but he has no business being on that list.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#5 : December 12, 2007, 07:27:20 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

Jordy Nelson averaged 133 yards a game and .9 TD, 13.2 y/pc. 

Percy Harvin averaged 138 yards a game, .8 TD, 15.6 y/pc, 11.5 y/pt.

Fairly close if you ask me.

I think these days a spot should be added for an all-purpose guy though and Percy would fit in better there.  But with so many players doing multiple things tehse days I think it should be noted rather than pigeon holing guys at a certain spot. 

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 12, 2007, 10:50:51 PM

i think you're crazy to say that. idk. i think harvin is a td threat every time he touches the ball. how many wr's can do what he does? and affect the game with one touch?

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 13, 2007, 08:06:11 AM

Crazy?

There are many players in CFB that are a huge threat to score everytime they touch the ball.

They only way that Harvin should be on this list, is if there was an "all purpose" position, similar to what Ray mentioned. Right now, there is not one, and Harvin should not be mentioned as the second best WR in CFB.

There are probably 10 WRs that had double the amount of catches that Harvin had.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 13, 2007, 09:29:35 AM

I think it is a big deal that neither Miami nor FSU had a single player selected.  I wonder when the last time that happened was, maybe never.  Those two programs are really falling hard. 

On another note, who is the Middleton guy from IU?  It still amazes me also that Smith is considered by many as the second best back but he wasn't one of the top three on the award show.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#9 : December 13, 2007, 10:07:43 AM

Matt, I agree in part with what you say. However, I think these days in CFB you are seeing a lot more WR reverses, touches after motioning from the Slot to the backfield, etc.  I think more and more guys are being rewarded for their versaitility rather than WR just catching, RB just running, and QB just throwing.

Based on pure reveiving numbers no maybe Percy isn't  top 2. But overall production is much closer as I showed. Is it important how the yards are gained or that they were gained?  For an award like the Belietnikoff I think ok, should go to best pure WR.  For filling an AA team I think you want the best players/playmakers.  I don't know a ton about Nelson, but I think I'd take Percy over him all day.  He is a far bigger playmaker and IMO a better, more dynamic player.  Percy doesn't have the pure receiving numbers as him in part because of the system he is in, the guys he shares the rock with, and what he is asked to do.  But fact is overall his season was just as productive if not more. 

I too was surprised he is listed, but it is nice that he is recognized as a great player even though his traditional receiving numbers are not eye popping, although y/pc is not shabby. 
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2007 All-American Lists « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools