Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Truth About the Buccaneers Salary Cap Situation « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 12, 2007, 11:48:54 PM

This is the USA Today datebase that I used in the article...

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

John Galt?, I realize it was a little confusing but my point was that we didn't just hand out huge contracts, and we still don't. If you use the database you will see that most of the players in the top25 each year either just signed their deals or are at the end of the deals that were back loaded. Reworking deals is just a part of the game. I'm sure the players prefer it this way because they get their bonuses up front. The salary cap version of this list would show a lot of the same thing. Rarely has a Buccaneers player had a mega salary cap killing contract by league standards.

First, I wasn't responding to your point, but commenting on the flawed logic of the original article.

Second, the problem wasn't mega-deals, it was lots of deals on backups, ST players, etc. that added up to problems. A couple mega-deals can be restructured (with the players cooperation.) but when you have 20-25 deals, all accelerating at the same time, it is too much for anyone to handle and you're forced to pull out the axe.

One of the errors of this FO has been (IMO) the fact that even though the salary cap situation called for "pulling out the axe" and starting fresh, the FO has taken the approach of making as few cuts as possible along with very limited signings.  This stretched out the salary cap situation for a longer period than needed and depleted the talent pool of the team as all the signed players grew old together without an infusion of fresh blood (outside of the limted draft picks).

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 12, 2007, 11:58:06 PM

John Galt?, I realize it was a little confusing but my point was that we didn't just hand out huge contracts, and we still don't. If you use the database you will see that most of the players in the top25 each year either just signed their deals or are at the end of the deals that were back loaded. Reworking deals is just a part of the game. I'm sure the players prefer it this way because they get their bonuses up front. The salary cap version of this list would show a lot of the same thing. Rarely has a Buccaneers player had a mega salary cap killing contract by league standards.

First, I wasn't responding to your point, but commenting on the flawed logic of the original article.

Second, the problem wasn't mega-deals, it was lots of deals on backups, ST players, etc. that added up to problems. A couple mega-deals can be restructured (with the players cooperation.) but when you have 20-25 deals, all accelerating at the same time, it is too much for anyone to handle and you're forced to pull out the axe.

One of the errors of this FO has been (IMO) the fact that even though the salary cap situation called for "pulling out the axe" and starting fresh, the FO has taken the approach of making as few cuts as possible along with very limited signings.  This stretched out the salary cap situation for a longer period than needed and depleted the talent pool of the team as all the signed players grew old together without an infusion of fresh blood (outside of the limted draft picks).

If what your getting at is that they should have "blown it up" at some point I'd agree. The pain would now likely be over with but I really wonder how this area would have swallowed that one.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 13, 2007, 02:00:19 AM

Bradentonian, that's a fair point. But then again, the luck of this regime has been odd. Look at the point differentials. The 2003 and 2004 teams went a combined 12-20, but had probably the highest PD for a record of that level in NFL history. So then in 2005, the team is slightly better, but dramatically luckier and goes 11-5. Then last year it was unlucky, hurt AND bad. This year has a wider cast of characters that can stick around awhile, but we need another really good offseason like last season.

In Verner We Trust

Neubi

Second String

#18 : December 13, 2007, 06:46:44 AM

If you ask me: use the salary next year to make longtime contracts with players we can count on the next 5 years!
Try to save the Oline as long as it gets.
If there is a "Don´t think twice"-FA...Ok..deal with him. If he comes to a reasonable price: take him. But keep this TEAM together! This is much more worth that anything we can see in WAS every year!

Fine, I'll go build my own Bulletin Board! With blackjack and hookers!

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#19 : December 13, 2007, 08:15:51 AM

I'm confused, is this your article, or Yuccs?  Or did someone forget which board account they wanted to have this discussion under? :p

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 13, 2007, 09:07:37 AM

You haters will always find something to complain about. The team is about to win it's third division championship in six years. It is out of cap hell (unlike Atlanta) and the team has a talent base and depth never before seen in this franchise's history. We have money for free agency and all of our first day draft picks plus a state of the art facility. You cherry pick your "facts" and try to spoil the fun for the rest of us.

The Bucs are clearly the runaway success story of the NFCS and your personal bias for our HC refuses to acknowledge that. You just can't blame the man for everything and allow him no credit at all for the success. His success IS the team's success. You can't root for the failure of one and not the other. It is just not rational or possible.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 13, 2007, 09:12:04 AM

Preach on sparky.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Snook

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 13, 2007, 09:12:56 AM

Bornabuc for GM!  He knows EVERYTHING!  He'd have this team undefeated EVERY YEAR!!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 13, 2007, 09:29:19 AM

You haters will always find something to complain about. The team is about to win it's third division championship in six years. It is out of cap hell (unlike Atlanta) and the team has a talent base and depth never before seen in this franchise's history. We have money for free agency and all of our first day draft picks plus a state of the art facility. You cherry pick your "facts" and try to spoil the fun for the rest of us.
I can't at all agree with that.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 13, 2007, 09:49:55 AM

You guys are never going to prove your point.  These people are so ignorant to the facts that they are unwilling to believe them.  The only thing they know is what they read in the news and hear on the radio.  They are unwilling to pay a little bit of money to get good information on a team they say they love.  The next thing out of their mouth will be calling you a bandwagon fan because you do not live and die for dungy and McGay.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 13, 2007, 10:27:37 AM

Of course you can't. Thirteen players on IR and the team is on the verge of it's third division championship and a likely double digit win season. Why should it be obvious to you?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 13, 2007, 10:30:46 AM

Of course you can't. Thirteen players on IR and the team is on the verge of it's third division championship and a likely double digit win season. Why should it be obvious to you?
I'm proud of this current bunch, but there's no way they had nearly the talent nor depth of the Super Bowl team.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 13, 2007, 11:34:40 AM

So much for born being postive.
Guess hes back on the watch list!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 13, 2007, 11:45:00 AM

Why argue with BaB? It's like arguing with a brick, which will never absorb the facts.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#29 : December 13, 2007, 02:52:05 PM

Rough day to be a bricklayer after that comment, Dan. The unions might get after you after that comment!
;)

In Verner We Trust
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Truth About the Buccaneers Salary Cap Situation « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools