Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rich Rod to Michigan? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#45 : December 18, 2007, 11:20:14 AM

I didn't call them overrated in my post.  I said thay played a weak schedule that allowed them to hid a lot of their flaws.  People all over the media and from other confrences were also saying that you guys were overrated.  I still think you could beat any team on any day but as long as the schedule looks like yours you will not get respect.

As far as how that related to the topic.  Maybe a new coach will get you stronger teams to play and a more rounded and championship quality attack.  I think that the players are already there.  Rich Rod made you guys look good and bad all at the same time.  I hate the fact that a good coach left the BigEast but I think that your program is at a place where they can get some just as good if not better.  I just hope that it is not Saban that guy is a pompus Ahole.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#46 : December 18, 2007, 03:45:58 PM

Maybe WVU can get a coach that will team the team how to play D. That team should have won a NC by now with the O they got. They just need a little more balance.

they actually finished with a top 10 defense this year.

I didn't know that. I know their D was better then last year when they played USF but I didn't think top 10. I think that has more to do with the people they played though. An OOC lineup of Wester Michigan, Marshall, Maryland, East Carolina, and Mississippi State isn't exactly a tough task. This is the reason why everybody was calling them overrated and they proved it when they played Pitt. Untill they set up a tougher OOC lineup they will be looked down upon by the SEC and other confrences.

What are you talking about?  Marshall is somewhat of a rivalry game and not a horrible team usually.  Maryland and Miss State are BCS conference teams.  I think they're allowed to play ECU (a bowl team last year) and Western Michigan. 

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#47 : December 18, 2007, 04:05:55 PM

While Maryland and Miss State are BCS teams they are not really power houses.  Marshall is a rivalry game?  Maybe back in the day when Marshall was a good football team.  The bottom line is that they need to step up their OOC schedule.  Just about every team in the country is going to a bowl game.  That used to mean you did something in your season but now it just means you won six games. 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#48 : December 18, 2007, 04:18:38 PM

How is their schedule any weaker than USF's?  Auburn makes the USF schedule that much better.  FAU, UCF, etc.  I don't get your point.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#49 : December 18, 2007, 05:09:10 PM

How is their schedule any weaker than USF's?  Auburn makes the USF schedule that much better.  FAU, UCF, etc.  I don't get your point.

I don't get it either. No 1-AA's on WVU schedule. It's not an awesome ooc schedule but better than a lot of other BCS schools...

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#50 : December 18, 2007, 05:22:54 PM

According to SAG, WVU schedule is 42nd, which is better than the likes of OK, OSU, KU, and Hawaii to name a few.  They had 0 against teams in his final top 10 but 3 against top 30 teams.  It's respectable I suppose.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#51 : December 18, 2007, 05:40:35 PM

It's not barnbruning (or couch burning for that matter), but I wouldn't call it a joke either.  Two ooc games against BCS schools and respectable other ooc schools with the exception of Western Michigan.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#52 : December 18, 2007, 07:09:49 PM

My point is this.  When your team is supposed to be the power of your confrence and wants to play for a national championship you have to have a few games aginst the top teams.  No WVU is not going to get those games playing in the BigEast so they have to get at least ONE game OOC agnst a big time program.  FAU and UCF are not big time programs but USF has been forced to play UCF and will probably replace that game with a tougher team that gets them more recognition when/if they win. 

The OOC games they played are aginst weak teams.  Sure some are BCS confrence teams but they are not in the top 1/3 of their confrence.  In the future USF has games lined up aginst at least one big program every year that is not in their confrence, even if some of those teams struggle at least they tried to get their SOS up.  I may be totally missing the point but nothing on their schedule is impressive.   When you are trying to get NC recognition aginst teams playing in the SEC you have to have stronger OOC oponents.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#53 : December 18, 2007, 10:32:50 PM

They beat Pitt, they were in the NC game.  So you are missing the point somewhere along the line.

USF wasn't forced to play UCF either.  They signed a contract by tehir own choice.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#54 : December 19, 2007, 09:29:19 AM

They are in the NC game but they were not going to be looked at as chams other then on paper.  USF is forced to continue playing UCF under their requierments to get out of confrence DOA.  I do not see the OOC games that WVU played being any stronger then the teams Hawaii played this season.  Add the fact that WVU lost one of their games aginst top oponents and I think Hawaii was more deserving of the number one spot then WVU even before the loss to Pitt. 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. 

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#55 : December 19, 2007, 10:11:27 AM

What I am heraing is UF coach Doc Holliday will be the next coach at WVU.  Not 100% yet but close.  If true a big blow to UF and a great pickup IMO for WVU.  Doc is an excellent coach and an even better recruiter. 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#56 : December 19, 2007, 10:16:53 AM

They are in the NC game but they were not going to be looked at as chams other then on paper. USF is forced to continue playing UCF under their requierments to get out of confrence DOA. I do not see the OOC games that WVU played being any stronger then the teams Hawaii played this season. Add the fact that WVU lost one of their games aginst top oponents and I think Hawaii was more deserving of the number one spot then WVU even before the loss to Pitt.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

USF is not forced to play UCF as a matter of fact it is up in the air as to whether or not they will after next season.  WVU was in the NC game if they beat Pitt and therefore would have been playing for the BCS championship regardless of how you see their OOC schedule.  I have no idea what you are trying to say otherwise.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#57 : December 19, 2007, 11:01:36 AM

USF is forced to play UCF every season and next season is the last year they have to play them.  UCF fans are mad that USf is not going to play them any more.  This is only because USF wants to get games with better teams that mean something when they win not just if they loose.  USF gets nothing out of playing UCF.  Here is a link that mentions it.  I will post the part about why they are playing them.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/17/Sports/USF__UCF_are_natural_.shtml

"Asked of the chances of the series being extended beyond its initial two-year contract, UCF athletic director Steve Orsini said he hopes the Bulls use UCF to honor their exit agreement with Conference USA, which requires five games with C-USA teams."

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#58 : December 19, 2007, 11:11:42 AM

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/content.detail/id/500183.html

Link on the Doc.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#59 : December 19, 2007, 11:40:02 AM

USF is forced to play UCF every season and next season is the last year they have to play them. UCF fans are mad that USf is not going to play them any more. This is only because USF wants to get games with better teams that mean something when they win not just if they loose. USF gets nothing out of playing UCF. Here is a link that mentions it. I will post the part about why they are playing them.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/17/Sports/USF__UCF_are_natural_.shtml

"Asked of the chances of the series being extended beyond its initial two-year contract, UCF athletic director Steve Orsini said he hopes the Bulls use UCF to honor their exit agreement with Conference USA, which requires five games with C-USA teams."

Again they were not and are not forced to play UCF, they agreed to play 5 CUSA games as part of their exit and signed a deal with UCF.  They could have played any CUSA teams that they wished.  I'm well aware of why they are not overly interested in continuing the series.  I also know that this has nothing to do with the fact that WVU would have been in the BCS title game if they only would have beaten Pitt and thus disproving your assertion that they could not be taken seriously with their current schedule.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rich Rod to Michigan? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools