Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rich Rod to Michigan? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

: December 14, 2007, 06:34:26 PM

Say it ain't so!!

Rodriguez mum on Michigan reports
Associated Press, Updated 18 minutes ago    
 STORY TOOLS:                                    

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) - West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez was back in Morgantown on Friday after taking a flight from Ohio, and unwilling to talk about any possible interest in the Michigan job.

"Going to practice. I'm going to practice," he said Friday, getting into his car after a trip to Toledo.

Sporting News Radio reported, citing unidentified sources, Rodriguez and his agent were in Toledo to talk with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin and university president Mary Sue Coleman.

Michigan, which lured basketball coach John Beilein away from West Virginia last April, is looking for a replacement for football coach Lloyd Carr, who announced his retirement Nov. 19 after 13 seasons.

West Virginia athletic director Ed Pastilong said he was unaware Rodriguez, who has a hefty buyout clause in his contract, was in Toledo.

"The impact of your name being thrown about is sometimes a little overrated. It probably makes for a lot of angst among families and we don't want that," he said. "Sorry but you all are stuck with me here."

Rodriguez has a 60-26 record at West Virginia. The Big East champion Mountaineers (10-2) play No. 3 Oklahoma (11-2) next month in the Fiesta Bowl.

Last December, Rodriguez agreed to a one-year contract extension through 2013 after he turned down a lucrative offer from Alabama. The extension includes a $4 million buyout clause if he leaves before August 2008. That doubles the amount from the previous contract.

Beilein had a $2.5 million buyout clause in his West Virginia contract, but under an agreement with the university he agreed to pay $1.5 million to the WVU Foundation for leaving for Michigan with five years remaining in his contract.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

ranman

Pro Bowler

#1 : December 14, 2007, 07:54:25 PM

They will need a name like Rodriguez to keep the rest of the conference from falling off their chairs in laughter.......

They have bungled the court of public opinion with this search. 

Rodriguez bringing the spread could only help the conference - along with R. Zook.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 14, 2007, 08:50:52 PM

hope he goes, then its Oregon Florida and probably OSU for Pryor

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 14, 2007, 10:55:26 PM

Why wouldn't Pryor follow him to Michigan?  Michigan doesn't have the QB to run Rod's offense and Pryor COULD start from day one...but that's a big COULD.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 14, 2007, 11:01:23 PM

He definitely seems more interested than he has in the past.  I'd prefer he stay at WVU.  Good for the Big East.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#5 : December 14, 2007, 11:36:00 PM

Why wouldn't Pryor follow him to Michigan?  Michigan doesn't have the QB to run Rod's offense and Pryor COULD start from day one...but that's a big COULD.

I am not sold on Pryor as a passer.  Have you seen him play?  Mostly dump passes.  He has a lot of work to do as a QB IMO.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 15, 2007, 10:24:24 AM

I am not sold on Pryor as a passer.  Have you seen him play?  Mostly dump passes.  He has a lot of work to do as a QB IMO.

I agree...I don't think he is that much of a QB.  But neither was Pat White, and that is the position they both WANT to play, so White went where he could play it, and so will Pryor.

The guy is a great athlete, but I think he is a bit overrated as a QB.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 15, 2007, 10:41:58 AM

Why wouldn't Pryor follow him to Michigan? Michigan doesn't have the QB to run Rod's offense and Pryor COULD start from day one...but that's a big COULD.

Mallett

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 15, 2007, 10:52:24 AM

Strange to think Alabama wasn't enough to make him leave but Michigan would be.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 15, 2007, 11:05:31 AM

Why wouldn't Pryor follow him to Michigan? Michigan doesn't have the QB to run Rod's offense and Pryor COULD start from day one...but that's a big COULD.

Mallett

Mallett can't run the spread offense.  He is a pocket passer.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#10 : December 15, 2007, 11:50:41 AM

Mallett

You can tailor an offense around a QB.  Meyer did it with Leak.  He'll do it again with Brantley.  There are many variations.  Right now WV runs a more run oriented spread because White's strength is running and weakness is passing. Put a guy like Mallett in there and you flip that and let the RB's run and Mallett pass off of it.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 15, 2007, 01:06:17 PM

UF would never have been as successful as last year without a running QB.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#12 : December 15, 2007, 01:08:58 PM

The main offense last year was headed by Leak, and he was not running often. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 15, 2007, 03:36:56 PM

The main offense last year was headed by Leak, and he was not running often. 

With Leak leading the offense, it was not even as close as dynamic as it was last year.  Don't get me wrong, I was a huge Leak fan...but he, just like Mallett, was a pocket passer.

That is why the offense is 10 times better this year than it was last year.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 15, 2007, 03:40:59 PM

Mallett

You can tailor an offense around a QB.  Meyer did it with Leak.  He'll do it again with Brantley.  There are many variations.  Right now WV runs a more run oriented spread because White's strength is running and weakness is passing. Put a guy like Mallett in there and you flip that and let the RB's run and Mallett pass off of it.

Of course you can run the offense without the dual-threat QB, but it is not near as affective.  Mallett is a HUGE guy, I don't know if he could be as affective with it as Leak was.

As for Brantley, Cameron Newton is the back-up for a reason (with Brantley Red-Shirting.)  You are assuming Florida doesn't get a better QB between now and whenever Brantley would have to opportunity to start....I think they will get a guy better suited for the spread.  And if not, Brantley will run it like Leak did.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rich Rod to Michigan? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools