Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rich Rod to Michigan? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#15 : December 15, 2007, 05:08:07 PM

hope he goes, then its Oregon Florida and probably OSU for Pryor

Why wouldn't Pryor follow him to Michigan? Michigan doesn't have the QB to run Rod's offense and Pryor COULD start from day one...but that's a big COULD.

Mallett

Mallett can't run the spread offense.  He is a pocket passer.

You can tailor an offense around a QB.  Meyer did it with Leak.  He'll do it again with Brantley.  There are many variations.  Right now WV runs a more run oriented spread because White's strength is running and weakness is passing. Put a guy like Mallett in there and you flip that and let the RB's run and Mallett pass off of it.

Of course you can run the offense without the dual-th

reat QB, but it is not near as affective.  Mallett is a HUGE guy, I don't know if he could be as affective with it as Leak was.

As for Brantley, Cameron Newton is the back-up for a reason (with Brantley Red-Shirting.)  You are assuming Florida doesn't get a better QB between now and whenever Brantley would have to opportunity to start....I think they will get a guy better suited for the spread.  And if not, Brantley will run it like Leak did.

Cam is the backup because he was here in the Spring as an EE while Brantley wasn't.  That is why Brantley got the RS.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Brantley be the backup next year. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 15, 2007, 07:27:20 PM

Cam is the backup because he was here in the Spring as an EE while Brantley wasn't.  That is why Brantley got the RS.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Brantley be the backup next year.

It would surprise me.

I know Brantley was rated higher coming out of high school, but I think Cam has showed that he is GREAT for this offense.

Not all QB's who are rated higher coming out of HS are better...see Brock Berlin and Rex Grossman.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 15, 2007, 10:55:56 PM

UF would never have been as successful as last year without a running QB.
The main offense last year was headed by Leak, and he was not running often. 
With Leak leading the offense, it was not even as close as dynamic as it was last year.  Don't get me wrong, I was a huge Leak fan...but he, just like Mallett, was a pocket passer.

That is why the offense is 10 times better this year than it was last year.
Leak's bigger problems were having a noodle arm and not being able to read the field. His lack of running ability was pretty far down the list in my opinion.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#18 : December 15, 2007, 11:40:05 PM

It would surprise me.

I know Brantley was rated higher coming out of high school, but I think Cam has showed that he is GREAT for this offense.

Not all QB's who are rated higher coming out of HS are better...see Brock Berlin and Rex Grossman.

Prepare to be shocked. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 16, 2007, 01:14:25 AM

hope he goes, then its Oregon Florida and probably OSU for Pryor

Why wouldn't Pryor follow him to Michigan? Michigan doesn't have the QB to run Rod's offense and Pryor COULD start from day one...but that's a big COULD.

Mallett

Mallett can't run the spread offense. He is a pocket passer.

They could do a TT spread offense

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 16, 2007, 01:54:17 PM

yes it was, but TT was there for many crucial situations.  no way UF would have won the national title without TT.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#21 : December 16, 2007, 03:21:01 PM

yes it was, but TT was there for many crucial situations.  no way UF would have won the national title without TT.

Or without Leak.

Tebow made some nice plays last year but Leak was the leader of that team.  I think it is questionable whether or not UF wins without Tebow, but no doubt they don't sniff the title game without Leak.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 16, 2007, 04:47:47 PM

Or without Leak.

Tebow made some nice plays last year but Leak was the leader of that team.  I think it is questionable whether or not UF wins without Tebow, but no doubt they don't sniff the title game without Leak.

we've all got opinions.  how do you know leak was the leader?  i think TT showed this year he can play ball.  maybe UF goes undefeated last year with TT as the QB?  there are no certainties.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 16, 2007, 03:37:03 PM

wow - I should have figured that $$ > Loyalty.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 16, 2007, 04:44:22 PM

wow - I should have figured that $$ > Loyalty.

So who's the favorite to replace him.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 16, 2007, 05:30:02 PM

I think tommy bowden might be a good replacement.  He played and grew up in Mo'town and has apparently had an itch to get back in to coaching. 

What a story that would be - he would play auburn in his first home game...

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#26 : December 16, 2007, 06:41:34 PM

Or without Leak.

we've all got opinions.  how do you know leak was the leader?  i think TT showed this year he can play ball.  maybe UF goes undefeated last year with TT as the QB?  there are no certainties.

Anyone who knows UF football knows that was Leak's team.  Tebow made some nice plays but they would have been doomed without Leak.  How do I know?  Track record of Freshman QB in SEC play is not good.  I think if you ask Tebow he would be the first to say he was NOT ready last year to play full time.  You just don't step in with his limited reps and win a NC with that schedule.  Not going to happen.  UF didn't spend all off season tweaking Tebow's delivery for nothing.  UF would not have survived last year with Tebow at the helm.  I am the biggest Tebow fan but seriously, he was a role player last year and nothing more.  Granted he was superb in his role, but reality is Leak was the leader and without him that team would not have won a MNC.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 16, 2007, 07:08:25 PM

Pryor would probably start at Michigan his freshman year, regardless of how poor of a passer he is.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : December 16, 2007, 07:26:48 PM

Anyone who knows UF football knows that was Leak's team.  Tebow made some nice plays but they would have been doomed without Leak.  How do I know?  Track record of Freshman QB in SEC play is not good.  I think if you ask Tebow he would be the first to say he was NOT ready last year to play full time.  You just don't step in with his limited reps and win a NC with that schedule.  Not going to happen.  UF didn't spend all off season tweaking Tebow's delivery for nothing.  UF would not have survived last year with Tebow at the helm.  I am the biggest Tebow fan but seriously, he was a role player last year and nothing more.  Granted he was superb in his role, but reality is Leak was the leader and without him that team would not have won a MNC.

its a ridiculous argument, but after seeing what tebow did as a soph i believe he couldve played well as a freshman.  i also think that just because one plays QB that he is the leader.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#29 : December 16, 2007, 08:37:57 PM

I think tommy bowden might be a good replacement. He played and grew up in Mo'town and has apparently had an itch to get back in to coaching.

What a story that would be - he would play auburn in his first home game...

You think?  Man why would he want to get back into coaching after having easy up in the booth for so long.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rich Rod to Michigan? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools