Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hip hop fans « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11

#15 : December 20, 2007, 04:45:11 AM

I think this debate has been played out, I guess some of you have nothing better to do though

All I have to say is, hip hop has been around for 30 years. Face the facts, its a staple in American culture whther your old, crusty, asses realize it or not

jakedakota

Starter

#16 : December 20, 2007, 07:00:50 AM

YEAH well MO`TOWN hase been around for over 50 Years and it still knocks the Socks off of HIP HOP!!!

NEXT

#17 : December 20, 2007, 09:35:55 AM

Whats your POINT? Or were you making one at all? I have an eclectic taste in music. What a worthless response.

If you are too close minded to "get" rap music than why not be an adult and just acknowledge its widespread appeal and that you yourself just cant get with it. Instead of acting like a 7 year old with this, "my dad can beat up your dad" mentality. I hate country and techno, but I wouldn't be so ignorant to say there is no value in an entire genre of music that is widely appreciated by millions of people.

Like I said, Im not getting into a rap v rock debate (because I love a lot of rock) and Im not getting into a "is rap trash or not" debate becauce there is too much overwhelming evidence that says you are just old foggies who are out of the times rather than evidence that supports there being no artistic value in this 30 year old genre of music.

Accept that you dont get it, and move on.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 20, 2007, 09:43:37 AM

it isn't that those who don't like rap "don't get it"

those who don't like it just think it sucks, it has no musical value, it is boring and mundane to the point it makes me want to grab my glock and bust a cap in the asses of those who make it.  It makes me want to roll in my '64 and sip some gin and juice until I am numb enough that the fatass hos in my crib start to look good.  It makes me want to display my bling in the hood, it makes me want to.......er, um, ok, enough of this silly stuff.

point is, when someone deosn't like your music, there is no need to take it as a personal insult.  like what you like, even if it does suck!

lol

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 20, 2007, 09:52:39 AM

The site referenced sucks........

I went and could not download jack........

#20 : December 20, 2007, 10:02:59 AM

Why would I take YOUR ignorance personally?

It's a huge misunderstanding that says you have to be able to relate, to listen to something. I've never built a cocaine ring im Miami and killed gangsters like Tony Montana but I love me some Scarface. I'm sure you've never been gay, but you probably like Brokeback Mountain right? (Just guessing)

Do you know how much work goes into producing a beat? Do you understand rhyme scheme, and how it is used in rap? Some mainstream rap artists are talentless frauds these days (as Im sure youd agree most rock bands are these days), but the truly great rap has a lot of depth, tells stories, uses metaphors, it is poetry brotha'. Some rap artists carry a great melody, which can be appreciated even if you dislike rap entirely

It is your ignorance that doesnt "get it", and if it doesnt make sense to you now it never will. Not from me trying to explain it to you aanyways. So just move along, I really could careless what you think of my favorite music, favorite color, favorite kind of tits etc. It is your loss

#21 : December 21, 2007, 02:30:00 PM

yup junior you're right, my old crusty 27 year old butt.... age MUST be the reason I dont like hip hop....or the fact that i have TASTE in music.

Maybe the fact that I dont think it takes much talent to sing about "**CENSORED**es and hos" or "being a rider" or "kill dat snitch".

I've heard PLENTY of hip hop and I DO think Tupac was VERY talented and Eminem is great to listen to.

But hip hop has grown to be the freaking worst music on earth. It's not even music. It's a bunch of dumbass, uneducated wannabe tony montana gangsters singin about their fake life.

take a beat, add the word dog, gat, hood, and black person to it.

BAM. you got a rap song.

what i love MOST about hip hop. Those that listen to it think they're as 'hard' as the fake gangster singin it.

I dont disagree with most of this. I still dont understand why it is so hard to seperate the art of hip hop, from what is mainstream hip hop. I agree that a lot of rap is garbage, and the amount of people who listen to this trash is amazing. But it is no different than the legions of people who listen to the new rock garbage these days. But why would anyone sit around and say Rock is a genre of music without value, just because there are sections of it that are terrible?

MYTH: Listening to gangster rap makes you either a) a thug or b) a wannabe thug. Loosen up dude, its just music. I dont walk around thinking everyone who listens to country lives in a trailer park, beats their dog and has poor hygeine. Quit being such a bigot

Listen to some Nas, Jay-Z, Wu-Tang, Common, Mos Def, Outkast, etc all of which are still wokring and making innovative, thought provoking music

Once again, music is subjective. Just because you don't like an entire genre of music doesnt make it worthless. You aren't as special as you think, kill the ego

#22 : December 21, 2007, 02:35:39 PM

80's music is about sex , not smacking your hoes, kicking them in the stomach when they are pregnant (eminem lyric), and violence towards women.  Find a kiss song that preaches violence against women...  find a kiss song that glorifies beating a woman...

It's called shock value, he was rebelling against the mainstream media that tries putting a restraint on what is socially acceptable.

As a fan of men who where makeup, high heels and spandex I would think you could understand that not everything your favorite artist shows you should be taken at face value

Dig a little deeper next time you listen to some hip hop. Actually try to understand where these 'people' are coming from, or why certain areas of society are different than where you might be from

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 20, 2007, 10:35:07 AM

It isn't simply a young/old divide either my teenage son thinks it is garbage as well, and don't give a flaying crap over Norway what he listens to.   It is heavily marketed toward the younger market and kids trying to find their own identity have bought into it.  Every generation has popular music that they levitate to but it doesn't last the course though.  We had crap music when we grew up as well, and much of it is rarely played. 

Good well written music will last the course and have appeal to many generations because quite simply IT IS GOOD.  Most HH and Rap sounds absolutely abysmal on a decent HiFi system.  I am fairly opened minded about music and have a little on my Ipod, which sounds OK through cheap headsets and weak systems(i.e car) but play if through my main HiFi system and OMG it sounds really bad.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 20, 2007, 11:07:04 AM

Amazing how some of you have so much time on your hands that you must post your hate
for rap/hip hop in a post that wasn't asking for your opinion.

I am NOT a fan of either genre. But recently, I shot a pilot for MTV (possibly) and it was
in a school with young folks who were recording and performing their own rap and hip hop.
And let me tell you, some of those performers wrote some great melodies/beats and they
were more talented than many of the rock musicians out there. And the recording quality
was top notch.

Turbo, how many times must we hear how much you despise rap and hip hop? You're
the Bornabuc of music criticism.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 20, 2007, 12:09:29 PM

It isn't simply a young/old divide either my teenage son thinks it is garbage as well, and don't give a flaying crap over Norway what he listens to. It is heavily marketed toward the younger market and kids trying to find their own identity have bought into it. Every generation has popular music that they levitate to but it doesn't last the course though. We had crap music when we grew up as well, and much of it is rarely played.

Good well written music will last the course and have appeal to many generations because quite simply IT IS GOOD. Most HH and Rap sounds absolutely abysmal on a decent HiFi system. I am fairly opened minded about music and have a little on my Ipod, which sounds OK through cheap headsets and weak systems(i.e car) but play if through my main HiFi system and OMG it sounds really bad.

So we should judge music by what it sounds like on your Hi-Fi?  Nice.  Moving on...

It won't last the course of time?  They still play The Chronic on the radio 15 years later and will continue to do so for another 25.  If your teenage son doesn't like it so be it, but HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of other people do.  It has stretched to Europe, Africa, and Asia.  You cannot possibly make the argument that it isn't any good, you can only show that you don't get it. 

#26 : December 20, 2007, 12:26:21 PM

Amazing how some of you have so much time on your hands that you must post your hate
for rap/hip hop in a post that wasn't asking for your opinion.

I am NOT a fan of either genre. But recently, I shot a pilot for MTV (possibly) and it was
in a school with young folks who were recording and performing their own rap and hip hop.
And let me tell you, some of those performers wrote some great melodies/beats and they
were more talented than many of the rock musicians out there. And the recording quality
was top notch.

Turbo, how many times must we hear how much you despise rap and hip hop? You're
the Bornabuc of music criticism.

Thanks joe, you obviously get the point. Its funny that the people who hate rap so much generally hate it because they think it is childish, only appeals to feeble minded youth, etc but the way they make their arguments is usually lacking maturity and valid points as to why it has no value other than them saying it's not their taste. Pretty damn hypocritical.

mjs, I could careless what you are your son listen to or call good music. No, no, actually why don't you tell me what your son listens to so I can critique his favorites.

How do you figure rap doesnt "last the coursE". It has been around since the late 70s. What exactly is "teh course" to you?

Why do the old fogies who hate rap, think that everyone who listens to it must want to bust some caps, slang crack or pimp hoes? Do only murderers watch Pulp Fiction. DO only drug dealers find Scarface entertaining? Do only serial killers watch movies about Jeffrey Dahmer?

spartan

Hall of Famer
#27 : December 20, 2007, 01:00:52 PM

May I take it that satire is a lost and grossly misunderstood art form these days?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 20, 2007, 01:01:42 PM

I don't hate Rap/HH, like I said there is some on my IPod.  In the car and on my IPod with low quality music reproduction the stuff I have is catchy but when I feed it through a good quality amp and speakers it falls apart IMO.

Rap and HH may have been around for close to thirty years but there aren't too many major recording artists from the genre that have been around that long.  The people between 15-25 that like it now will move away from that type of music when they get a little older.  The new generation will find their own niche because liking what your parents listened to just isn't cool.  I had to suffer through the punk rock era but that didn't last either.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 20, 2007, 04:15:53 PM

Rap is 30 years old?   I don't remember rap in the 70's.   There was that one Rapper's Delight song, but that was an extreme exception.  Rap didn't become popular until about 20 years ago from what I remember - maybe 25.   Run DMC seemed to be the first big rap band in the mid 80's if I remember correctly.   It's gone downhill from there.   
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hip hop fans « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools