Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hip hop fans « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 20, 2007, 04:39:14 PM

I believe Grandmaster Flash was around, performing and recording in 1978 or so.
Next year will be the 30 year anniversary.

Run DMC has been around for 24 years or so.

30 years may have been pushing it a bit but being around for 25 years is nothing
to sneeze at. Impressive for something that was thought of as a fad by many.

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 20, 2007, 04:47:42 PM

Lets see if I can be a rapper:

Big house.........check
Expesnive car.......check
Hot girls................check
Expensive Necklace........check
Someone to produce my beats.........check
Snazy name...............................check

Im ready to "ride out"!

More to come......

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 21, 2007, 01:43:34 PM

many people feel that the 80s vids and
degraded women and treated them as sex objects and nothing else.

as do magazine adds, television and movies...

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 20, 2007, 09:47:54 PM

I think this debate has been played out, I guess some of you have nothing better to do though

All I have to say is, hip hop has been around for 30 years. Face the facts, its a staple in American culture whther your old, crusty, asses realize it or not

yup junior you're right, my old crusty 27 year old ass.... age MUST be the reason I dont like hip hop....or the fact that i have TASTE in music.

Maybe the fact that I dont think it takes much talent to sing about "**CENSORED**es and hos" or "being a rider" or "kill dat snitch".

I've heard PLENTY of hip hop and I DO think Tupac was VERY talented and Eminem is great to listen to.

But hip hop has grown to be the freaking worst music on earth. It's not even music. It's a bunch of dumbass, uneducated wannabe tony montana gangsters singin about their fake life.

take a beat, add the word **CENSORED**, gat, hood, and **CENSORED** to it.

BAM. you got a rap song.

what i love MOST about hip hop. Those that listen to it think they're as 'hard' as the fake gangster singin it.

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 20, 2007, 10:00:44 PM

Just a question for you

Why do you like scarface? What is it about the movie??
Why would I take YOUR ignorance personally?

It's a huge misunderstanding that says you have to be able to relate, to listen to something. I've never built a cocaine ring im Miami and killed gangsters like Tony Montana but I love me some Scarface. I'm sure you've never been gay, but you probably like Brokeback Mountain right? (Just guessing)

Do you know how much work goes into producing a beat? Do you understand rhyme scheme, and how it is used in rap? Some mainstream rap artists are talentless frauds these days (as Im sure youd agree most rock bands are these days), but the truly great rap has a lot of depth, tells stories, uses metaphors, it is poetry brotha'. Some rap artists carry a great melody, which can be appreciated even if you dislike rap entirely

It is your ignorance that doesnt "get it", and if it doesnt make sense to you now it never will. Not from me trying to explain it to you aanyways. So just move along, I really could careless what you think of my favorite music, favorite color, favorite kind of tits etc. It is your loss

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 20, 2007, 10:45:15 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzz

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 20, 2007, 10:53:58 PM

Hip Hop has been around thirty years according to posters here and it is very popular so there must be quite a few representatives from the Genre on the all time best selling artist list.  I can only see two, Eminem and Tupac Shakur, in the top 220(ish) recording artists of all time. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 21, 2007, 12:13:34 AM

Hip Hop has been around thirty years according to posters here and it is very popular so there must be quite a few representatives from the Genre on the all time best selling artist list. I can only see two, Eminem and Tupac Shakur, in the top 220(ish) recording artists of all time.

LOL!   I guess rap isn't as popular as some like to believe.    I notice Eminem is the highest ranked at 130.     He's right behind Eddie Arnold and not too far behind Donny Osmond.   Not bad.   LOL again!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 21, 2007, 12:24:26 PM

No you're right. Rap takes it a big step further. However, many people feel that the 80s vids and
degraded women and treated them as sex objects and nothing else. Never heard you complain
about that. And I know you don't agree with it.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#39 : December 21, 2007, 01:03:49 AM

I enjoy some rap.  The older stuff, Snoop's stuff in the 90's.  Biggie, Tupac.  But the new stuff, the crap my lil 16 year old bro listens to, drives me insane.  It is so stupid listening to pointless jibbering.  I have yet to hear anyone worth a damn speak in tongues the way the newer artists do...

I do appreciate the site though.  I mean, if I want to listen to some Run DMC, or some Black Sheep, I am on it!

Right now, my GF has me going apeshiz over X-mas tunes...so whatever.

Run DMC has a x-mas tune, but she doesn't dig it.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 21, 2007, 01:08:59 AM

Run DMC has a x-mas tune, but she doesn't dig it.

Is that the "Christmas in Hollis" song?   I don't dig that one either.   

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 21, 2007, 01:11:08 AM

Hip Hop has been around thirty years according to posters here and it is very popular so there must be quite a few representatives from the Genre on the all time best selling artist list. I can only see two, Eminem and Tupac Shakur, in the top 220(ish) recording artists of all time.

LOL!   I guess rap isn't as popular as some like to believe.    I notice Eminem is the highest ranked at 130.     He's right behind Eddie Arnold and not too far behind Donny Osmond.   Not bad.   LOL again!

Ummmm, you two show us where Ronde or myself said it was one of the top selling genres of music.
Or, show us where either one of us mentioned how popular it is. There's a difference  between staying
power and popularity. It's popular enough to have stayed around for 2.5 decades.

I can't believe I am defending a genre of music that I don't even like. But the biased comments are
just too ridiculous to ignore. That and Java's ability to put words in other poster's mouths.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 21, 2007, 01:21:16 AM

Hip Hop has been around thirty years according to posters here and it is very popular so there must be quite a few representatives from the Genre on the all time best selling artist list.  I can only see two, Eminem and Tupac Shakur, in the top 220(ish) recording artists of all time. 

Would you agree that most rap and hip hop artists are African American? And, besides
fans of artists like Eminem, most of the fans of rap/hip hop are also African American,
too? Right?

What percentage of the US population is African American. 13%. You think that may have
something to do with rap and hop hop not being among the top sellers over the past few
decades. Not too hard to figure that one out.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#43 : December 21, 2007, 01:38:18 AM

So you are saying people listen to music based on their skin color? 

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 21, 2007, 01:38:42 AM

Would you agree that most rap and hip hop artists are African American? And, besides
fans of artists like Eminem, most of the fans of rap/hip hop are also African American,
too? Right?

What percentage of the US population is African American. 13%. You think that may have
something to do with rap and hop hop not being among the top sellers over the past few
decades. Not too hard to figure that one out.

Race shouldn't really come into it, plenty of black artists on that list.  Hip Hop is youth culture, black and white.  The fact that that the biggest selling HH/Rap artist of all time is white is rather ironic to say the least.

My point was Hip Hop hasn't really been around 25 years.  Just because some marginal artists in one area of one city started making the music 25 years ago hardly means it truly existed as a mainstream genre.   Punk Rocks roots can be traced back to the early 60s but it was insignificant until the late 70s.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Hip hop fans « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools