Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WVU to Hire UF Coach Doc Holliday « previous next »
Page: 1 2

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

: December 19, 2007, 11:14:51 AM

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/content.detail/id/500183.html

Best of luck to the Doc. He's a hell of a coach and recruiter.

mjpwooo

Pro Bowler

#1 : December 19, 2007, 11:20:08 AM

Ray, you know better than I but this could have a somewhat similar impact that Amato/Richt/VanHalanger leaving did to us.

I hear Jeff Bowden is available...

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 19, 2007, 11:23:19 AM

Doc was the safeties coach and recruiting coordinator at Florida.  The safeties coach will be replaced fairly easily...it's the recruiting coordinator position that he will be sorely missed.

Good Luck, Doc.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 19, 2007, 11:29:53 AM

hmm - not what I'd call a sexy choice.  I'll suspend judgment. 

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

mjpwooo

Pro Bowler

#4 : December 19, 2007, 11:33:21 AM

Dungy wasn't a sexy choice.  Sexy (related to head coaching hires) is overrated...big time.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 19, 2007, 11:35:02 AM

Petrino was a sexy choice for Atlanta.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 19, 2007, 11:59:33 AM

Adriana Lima would have been a sexy pick. 

I guess since I dont live in FL I don't know much about him.  He'd sure need his recruiting stills up there - the well's pretty dry sometimes.  I think now they they're branching out in to FL more, he'd really be able to contribute. 

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 19, 2007, 12:03:33 PM

Sounds like a good hire.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 19, 2007, 12:15:23 PM

Adriana Lima would have been a sexy pick. 

I guess since I dont live in FL I don't know much about him.  He'd sure need his recruiting stills up there - the well's pretty dry sometimes.  I think now they they're branching out in to FL more, he'd really be able to contribute. 

Doc has been recruiting in Florida for over 20 years now, so he will get some talent from here...much like Ron Zook is doing up at Illinois.

As far as coaching goes, he did a helluva job with Reggie Nelson and Major Wright.  I don't know how his "x's and o's" are going to turn out...only time will tell.

I can guarantee that West Virginia will keep getting 5-star prospects from Florida...that is what Doc does.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#9 : December 19, 2007, 12:22:58 PM

Doc has been integral in UF infiltrating the Miami area and pulling those kids.  UF has struggled mightily in that region over the years and Doc has been key in UF gaining ground there.  He is excellent at building relationships with players and will be missed at UF in that aspect. 

As Zook has shown it does take more than getting great recruits so we'll see on coaching.  Doc has a ton of experience but being the HC is a different ball game.  He's a great guy, high character, excellent motivator, and good with the safeties no doubt.  I think he'll do a good job there no doubt.   

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 19, 2007, 08:02:54 PM

Like I said in another post, I hope WV doesn't get him.  The WV boards are acting like he's too far below their standards.  Let's hope for the Gators the powers that be think the same thing.  That being said, I think Doc would be a fantastic hire for them.  Just don't tell anybody that counts.

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#11 : December 19, 2007, 08:14:09 PM

I am hearing the President and AD at WVU wants Doc, but the Governor wants Terry Bowden.

My guess is after the RR debacle the big "boosters" want a big name.  Little do they know that Doc would be a GREAT hire.  I agree, Bucnut, let's hope the Gov. and boosters win out here.

Wait, I just realized how selfish that was..........

I'm torn, would be GREAT opp. for Doc and his family. 

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 19, 2007, 08:51:32 PM

Exactly Ray, it would be great for Doc.  I guess I'm just a bit selfish in wanting to keep such an exceptional guy on the Gators sideline. 

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#13 : December 20, 2007, 12:27:49 PM

ESPN has a link up now on the boosters and Governor supporting Terry Bowden:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3162874

Looks like Ol' Bobby phoned in a favor to the Governor.  Thanks Bobby!  Way to Help UF out by pushing Terry there over Doc!

matt

Starter

#14 : December 20, 2007, 07:49:14 PM

Why in the hell does what the governor thinks mean ANYTHING? If our awful governor in Michigan had opened her mouth during the coaching search, I would have supported the polar opposite of who she wanted. That being said, I'd love to see them take a head coach from a lesser conference after all the whining they did about Michigan "stealing" Coach Rod.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WVU to Hire UF Coach Doc Holliday « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools