Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WVU to Hire UF Coach Doc Holliday « previous next »
Page: 1 2

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#15 : December 20, 2007, 07:55:50 PM

Actually, you'd be surprised how much influence Governor's have at a lot of schools.  WVU IS a Public, State school after all.  And the Governor there is an alumni and from what I know a pretty big booster for the school. 

So he has a lot of influence I must say.

I hope they got with TB.  Doc won't stand a chance without support from fans and boosters.  Kind of like Zook at UF was doomed from the start.

matt

Starter

#16 : December 20, 2007, 08:07:01 PM

Good point. Michigan's governor has little to no influence because she's not from this state (or country for that matter) and did not go to school here.

It looks like Terry Bowden is actually gaining momentum towards becoming the next WVU coach and I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up getting the nod.

As far as Zook goes, he was in over his head at UF. He has done well at Illinois though.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#17 : December 20, 2007, 08:19:58 PM

Good point. Michigan's governor has little to no influence because she's not from this state (or country for that matter) and did not go to school here.

It looks like Terry Bowden is actually gaining momentum towards becoming the next WVU coach and I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up getting the nod.

As far as Zook goes, he was in over his head at UF. He has done well at Illinois though.

Part of Zook's problem was he followed a legend at UF and was not the pick of the boosters and fans.

Sounds similar to what Doc would go into at WVU.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 21, 2007, 09:23:05 AM

Part of Zook's problem was he followed a legend at UF and was not the pick of the boosters and fans.

Sounds similar to what Doc would go into at WVU.

The other part of Zook's problem was he was an idiot.  Not a good coach at all.  Great recruiter, crappy coach.

Doc may be the same, only time will tell if he can coach.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 25, 2007, 10:16:04 PM

Apprantley rumors on the WVU board is Oregon OC Chip Kelly may interview soon. He just signed a mult year deal with Oregon a few days ago, but Im sure the buyout is nothing

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 09, 2008, 11:50:57 AM

.....and it continues.  This would be a great pick up if its true. I can't help but think that WVU's trying to marry a one night stand and justify it because it was good.

Drayton may not be the only UF assistant leaving.

Safeties coach John "Doc" Holliday appears close to accepting a job as the assistant head coach at West Virginia, where he is a former player and long-time assistant coach. Holliday interviewed for the head coaching vacancy at WVU three weeks ago, but was not offered the job.

According to sources, Holliday is expected to take the assistant head coach's job in the next day or two.

Holliday and Drayton were original members of Meyer's UF coaching staff, which remained intact through Meyer's three seasons.

Holliday and Drayton were considered among the top recruiters on the staff, and their departure comes at the height of the recruiting season, with prospects making official visits over the next month.

Here is a link to that article.
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080108/NEWS/765893688/1090

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 09, 2008, 03:36:35 PM

.....and it continues.  This would be a great pick up if its true. I can't help but think that WVU's trying to marry a one night stand and justify it because it was good.

Drayton may not be the only UF assistant leaving.

Safeties coach John "Doc" Holliday appears close to accepting a job as the assistant head coach at West Virginia, where he is a former player and long-time assistant coach. Holliday interviewed for the head coaching vacancy at WVU three weeks ago, but was not offered the job.

According to sources, Holliday is expected to take the assistant head coach's job in the next day or two.

Holliday and Drayton were original members of Meyer's UF coaching staff, which remained intact through Meyer's three seasons.

Holliday and Drayton were considered among the top recruiters on the staff, and their departure comes at the height of the recruiting season, with prospects making official visits over the next month.

Here is a link to that article.
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080108/NEWS/765893688/1090

Looks like they may have had some second thoughts on the quick hiring of Stewart and will have Holliday waitintg in the wings ...... Smart move.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 09, 2008, 04:39:01 PM

Interesting ..... that link no longer works. Wonder if it was pulled for inaccuracy about Holliday?

This one works now, though .....

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080109/NEWS/765893688/1090

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 10, 2008, 10:28:30 AM

Looks all but official - word on the boards (always reliable) is that he's already resigned.

http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Breaking/000001384

Good pick up 'eers!

www.Atlbucs.com

Snook

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 10, 2008, 11:10:32 AM

Gotta love UF losing Doc...

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 10, 2008, 12:37:47 PM

Gotta love UF losing Doc...

Bastard!  ;)

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 12, 2008, 04:38:16 PM

Whew - Finally Official.  I was getting worried after he wasn't announced at the press conference on Friday...

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?sport=football&show=64

www.Atlbucs.com

Runole

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 11, 2008, 02:23:36 PM

Heard a rumor about Strong leaving any truth to it?

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 11, 2008, 02:43:14 PM

Heard a rumor about Strong leaving any truth to it?

there was a press conf. going on right now - waiting word, but I've been reading that a lot, too.

www.Atlbucs.com
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WVU to Hire UF Coach Doc Holliday « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools