Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: USF coaches? « previous next »
Page: 1

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

: January 03, 2008, 04:12:27 PM

I want to know what you guys think about Levitt and his coaching ability.  I will say that the guy is one hell of a coach due to the fact that he has taken the program so far in such a short time.  I think that a lot of what we see is due to talent not coaching, however, the O seems to go through the same problems year in and year out.  The O seems to have the Tony Dungy syndrome.  They are young and getting more talent every year so maybe things are changing. 

When would you consider that the team has hit a limit in its progression.  I am not saying that it has yet, because they have went to better bowl games each of the past 3 seasons and reached national rankings this season for the first time.  How do you guys feel about the coaching staff USF has in place?

??? ??? ??? ???

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 03, 2008, 04:17:24 PM

We need a real offensive coordinator.  Leavitt's a great defensive coach and a great motivator.  But the offensive side of the ball is a disaster.  This isn't new.  We've been down this road before on a smaller scale in the Marquel Blackwell years. 

I've got a lot of complaints about the offensive side of the ball, but none of them I am putting on Leavitt at this time.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 03, 2008, 04:41:58 PM

I want to know what you guys think about Levitt and his coaching ability.  I will say that the guy is one hell of a coach due to the fact that he has taken the program so far in such a short time.  I think that a lot of what we see is due to talent not coaching, however, the O seems to go through the same problems year in and year out.  The O seems to have the Tony Dungy syndrome.  They are young and getting more talent every year so maybe things are changing. 

When would you consider that the team has hit a limit in its progression.  I am not saying that it has yet, because they have went to better bowl games each of the past 3 seasons and reached national rankings this season for the first time.  How do you guys feel about the coaching staff USF has in place?

??? ??? ??? ???

I think Leavitt is an outstanding coach!

USF has a good staff and program that has grown better each year.  They have an amazing program for such a short time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2 things that will make USF better...

1.  Show a bit more respect towards programs that have actually accomplished something before tooting your horn too much.

2.  Make UCF a permanent fixture on the schedule each year.  They are a natural rival and will always draw well at the gate.
The "Gate" is the one thing that could hold USF back if they should have a disappointing season.

On a broader front the BIG EAST needs to add 4 teams and have a championship game in football.

My choices would come from these 5:

Marshall  ( perfect rivalry with WV)

UCF ( perfect rivalry for USF)

Memphis ( natural for Louisville)

and either USM or East Carolina..

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 03, 2008, 04:53:44 PM

1.  Stupid point.  The USF program has never disrespected anyone.  EVER.  Hte fans got excited this year due to their success and some got defensive due to the stupid comments made by fans of the so called bigger schools, but the school and program itself never has said anything derogatory about any other program (except maybe some slights towards UCF).

2.  Playing UCF does nothing for the Bulls program.  They do not need them to be a rival.  They are in a BCS conference.  Having a rival in Conference USA does nothing. We got out of that conference as quick as we could to legitimze our program.  At this point, UCF is a no win situation for USF.  Win and we're supposed to and could even hurt SOS.  Lose and it looks terrible. 

So they're going to add those teams to football only or are we going to 20 teams in basketball?

None of these things have anything to do with the USF coaches which is the topic at hand.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 03, 2008, 05:05:07 PM

I back the points made above.  USF fans got defensive after hearing for weeks how they didn't deserve to be in the rankings.  Everybody from the national media to other programs were saying untrue remarks about the program.  Saban was one of the biggest followed by the media that refused to give USF credit.  The only reason they could give was because of the age not because of the ability.  that was a joke. 

UCF does nothing for USF so why play them every year.  When we beat them it is because we are supposed to.  In the world of college football beating UCF is no better then beating a div II team.  the problem is that UCF has a better chance of beating us.  Also, why should USF give them attention so that they can take away recruits.  USF should leave them in the back and not give them anything to grow from.  They should start a rivalry with a team that has respect. 

I also would not like to see UCF in the Big East for the same reason.  I don't want the tallent to be drained by 5 major programs in the state.  This is the same reason why FSU, Miami, and UF didn't want to play USF in the past.  You do not want to give them a leg up.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 03, 2008, 05:24:15 PM

1.  Stupid point.  The USF program has never disrespected anyone.  EVER.  Hte fans got excited this year due to their success and some got defensive due to the stupid comments made by fans of the so called bigger schools, but the school and program itself never has said anything derogatory about any other program (except maybe some slights towards UCF).

I post on USF boards and a large number of their fans have been totally disrespectful towards other programs. They constantly talked too much trash. As a USF alum I am totally embarrassed by their behavior.

2.  Playing UCF does nothing for the Bulls program.  They do not need them to be a rival.  They are in a BCS conference.  Having a rival in Conference USA does nothing. We got out of that conference as quick as we could to legitimze our program.  At this point, UCF is a no win situation for USF.  Win and we're supposed to and could even hurt SOS.  Lose and it looks terrible.

CFB is built on rivalries. UCF is a natural.  It is precisely your comments on why USF shouldn't play UCF are reasons why they should. Welcome competition don't duck it!   If USF beats UCF for the next 10 years it will just improve the status of the program and that it will probably average above 55,000 fans each year certainly won't hurt either.

So they're going to add those teams to football only or are we going to 20 teams in basketball?

The Big East needs to become a REAL CFB DIVISION ONE conference not the abortion it currently is.

None of these things have anything to do with the USF coaches which is the topic at hand.

They have to do with USF the Big East and that is certainly relevant.  That I chose to add this to the topic is my perogative. Don't like don't respond! pretty simple!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 03, 2008, 05:28:13 PM

1.  Kind of like jerk FSU fan here.

2.  Beating up on UCF for 10 years does nothing for USF's program.
They filled the stadium for FAMU also.  Should they make that a rivalry game also.

Big East Champ has won their last three BCS games.  How have the ACC champs faired?

And the subject was USF coaches.  The rest of the Big East and UCF have nothing to do with that.  But go ahead and show your ignorance about another subject.  It's quite entertaining.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 03, 2008, 05:37:10 PM

1.  Kind of jerk FSU fan here.

2.  Beating up on UCF for 10 years does nothing for USF's program.
They filled the stadium for FAMU also.  Should they make that a rivalry game also.

Big East Champ has won their last three BCS games.  How have the ACC champs faired?

again with the silly childish insults..  I am a USF alum and I understand CFB quite well.  I just look at the bigger picture than some USF fans.. 

Do you honestly believe USF will be a regular on FSU, UF, and UM's schedule in the coming years?

Miami fans are already **CENSORED**ing about USF being there.

CFB is built on fans and most certainly USF brought them in when they started out the gate fast..

All about economics and fans in the stands!    A true measure of attendance is when a team isn't doing well.

Now if they draw 60,000 for next years home opener against a less than high profile opponent they may in fact not need a UCF on  the schedule.  I will be most surprised if that happens.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#8 : January 03, 2008, 07:34:17 PM

I think USF could keep their offensive coordinator, but they need to do some serious recruiting to get the talent that can run the spread-option type offense that they currently use. Frankly, I hate that offense. I would like to see a more traditional under center I-form based offense, but the spread-option seems to be en vogue in CFB now. USF's run game is a joke IMO. They rely on Grothe too much, and they run the shotgun-option-draw play WAY too much. The play calling is atrocious...on 2nd thought maybe the Bulls should fire their O coordinator ;D

jakedakota

Starter

#9 : January 03, 2008, 08:41:08 PM

The mistake Jim Leavitt made this year is when we got voted Number#2 in the BCS he should have embraced it and told the Team to go out and play like they waqnted to be number #1... He went on record saying how he wasnt looking at the polls and was trying to keep the team from looking or even talking about it. When they went into Rutgers they were tight.. and they nearly won the game.. IF... and it is a BIG IF... they had won that game they would have run the table and would have become a better team...

My opinon but I believe I am right on about it... Dont hide.. Embrace your success

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 03, 2008, 09:06:09 PM

USF signed a 6 year contract with Miami to play Thanksgiving weekend on ESPN every year.  ESPN pushed for this deal as they are going to try to make this the metropolitan FL rivalry like the college town (red neck town) rivalry that exists between UF and FSU.  Playing Miami every year on ESPN does way more for the program than UCF ever could.  USF also recruits the Miami area very hard so it is good for recruiting to have that type of exposure in Miami.

The Big East is a 16 school conference in all sports except for football.  They have already said they have no interest in adding any more schools to the conference.  Big East expansion in football will come from one day adding Notre Dame to football and having other Big East schools start up a football program or move up from 1AA.  That is what they did with Uconn a couple of years ago.  Georgetown and Villanova seem to be the schools making the most noise in that regard.  There was also talk of Notre Dame moving to the Big 10 and Penn State moving to the Big East.  I don't see that happening, but I have heard that rumor.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 03, 2008, 09:29:37 PM

USF signed a 6 year contract with Miami to play Thanksgiving weekend on ESPN every year. ESPN pushed for this deal as they are going to try to make this the metropolitan FL rivalry like the college town (red neck town) rivalry that exists between UF and FSU. Playing Miami every year on ESPN does way more for the program than UCF ever could. USF also recruits the Miami area very hard so it is good for recruiting to have that type of exposure in Miami.

The Big East is a 16 school conference in all sports except for football. They have already said they have no interest in adding any more schools to the conference. Big East expansion in football will come from one day adding Notre Dame to football and having other Big East schools start up a football program or move up from 1AA. That is what they did with Uconn a couple of years ago. Georgetown and Villanova seem to be the schools making the most noise in that regard. There was also talk of Notre Dame moving to the Big 10 and Penn State moving to the Big East. I don't see that happening, but I have heard that rumor.

Thanks jd.  But really runole knows far more then you , I, the USF athletic department, or the Big East executives could ever know.  Playing a mediocre Mickey Mouse school and adding several mediocre mid majors to the conference is clearly what needs to be done to legitimize the USF program and the Big East as a whole.   ::)
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: USF coaches? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools