Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bigger Rivalry in the 90's? Help settle an argument « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 21, 2007, 03:41:19 PM

FSU was IRRELEVANT for most of UF's history.

UF was irrelevant for most of UF's history ........

Sorry, I couldn't resist.   ::)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 21, 2007, 03:27:38 PM

Yes, it is...

Ray and Runole were made for each other.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 21, 2007, 03:31:16 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.  It takes longer for some to see the light than others.  Carry on.  This could be part of rundork's evil plan.  Divide and conquer. 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 21, 2007, 03:26:28 PM

Is the gator civil war spilling over to another thread. 

Snicker, snicker.

FSU gets my vote.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#19 : December 21, 2007, 03:20:25 PM

LOL, JG.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 21, 2007, 03:17:23 PM

In the '90s the UF/FSU games were more nationally signifigant.  But that was more of a Spurrier v. Bowden rivalry, while for pure unadulterated hatred UG still took the crown.

Q:Why does the St. Johns River flow North?
A: Becasue Georgia sucks!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 21, 2007, 03:01:13 PM

Yes...I completely agree that the Georgia is Florida's best all-time rivalry.

But this thread is for the 90's, everyone.  What was the better rivalry during the 90's, FLA/FLA ST or FLA/GA?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 21, 2007, 02:59:02 PM

Georgia!

It goes way, way back.

In 1942, 21 of UFs starters left school to join the Military.  UF almost canceled football but enough walk-ons, mostly those physically unfit for military service, showed up to field a team.  Georgia had managed to keep an All-American quality squad together, thanks in part to their ROTC program. Instead of fighting for America, Georgia's boys were dating girls, eating weekend feasts with their families, sleeping in warm, safe beds, and piling points on teams which could barely line up correctly.

When Georgia coach Wally Butts faced the Gators that year, he ran the score up to 75-0 -- all the way through the fourth quarter. It was the single worst loss Florida ever suffered at the hands of Georgia.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 21, 2007, 02:39:47 PM

Ray,

Please don't argue with others when they give their answer to the original question.  You have offered your opinion on the subject, let others have theirs.

Thanks.

BIGGS,

I'll do as I please.  This is a discussion forum and I am on topic.  Some people may or may not be informed on key issues therefore bringing them up is important.

Thanks.

This was supposed to be a thread where people would vote one way or the other...not where somebody disagrees with Ray and he "teaches" them.

But go ahead, hijack away.

I will wait for Snook to confirm what the argument was about, since everyone can't go look it up for themselves since you had to take your ball and go home.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 21, 2007, 01:47:57 PM

I would say that FSU also has a rivalry with Miami, Clemson is coming along as well.  I understand that Florida is their probably their biggest but Miami is close.  The thing is that it was hard for FSU to get rivalries going with teams in their confrence because they owned them, however, I think they will get more now that they have been knocked down. 

Bucemup is not a big fan of eaither team but prefers FSU over UF so bucemup really does not care.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#25 : December 21, 2007, 01:41:39 PM

No, Ray deleted the thread because it was about FSU CHEATING and not UF rivals. I asked you to remove the posts so we could not dilute the thread and you refused.

MAYBE YOU AND HIM were discussing the 90's but the ORIGINAL discussion (which was in the wrong thread to begin with) was ME saying UF had bigger rivals than FSU while UF was FSU's main rival. Therefore FSU fans really have just UF to focus on UF has UGA, UT, LSU and others that are all up there with FSU. This was in response to a question Snook asked how I felt about the FSU thing and if it helped/hurt UF. Had I known you would turn it into a full blown debate in a FSU CHEATING thread I would have never answered it.

So now Ray speaks in third person?  Well Bucemup thinks that is kind of sad. LOL

LOL.

Didn't realize I did that.

Ray is sorry!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#26 : December 21, 2007, 01:42:59 PM

On Gator board, 8 UGA, 3 FSU, 1 UT, 1 LSU.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 21, 2007, 01:50:15 PM

UGA is UF's biggest rival.

I don't know how it would break down, decade by decade.

As an Alabama fan, let me ask you this.

When deciding your rival(s) do you break it down by decade or is Auburn (or whoever) just always your biggest rival? Everyone knows rivalries take twists and turns, sometimes a team goes on a run here and there but your BIGGEST RIVAL is always going to be just that, whether you win 15 in a row or lose 15 in a row. You can't change history.

It would seem to me a decade breakdown would be something you do in retrospect, but AT THE TIME your main rival is who it has always been.
Auburn is Bama's biggest rivel. Tennessee is just as easy to loathe, but Auburn is our biggest rival, and I don't ever see that changing.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 21, 2007, 01:36:55 PM

No, Ray deleted the thread because it was about FSU CHEATING and not UF rivals. I asked you to remove the posts so we could not dilute the thread and you refused.

MAYBE YOU AND HIM were discussing the 90's but the ORIGINAL discussion (which was in the wrong thread to begin with) was ME saying UF had bigger rivals than FSU while UF was FSU's main rival. Therefore FSU fans really have just UF to focus on UF has UGA, UT, LSU and others that are all up there with FSU. This was in response to a question Snook asked how I felt about the FSU thing and if it helped/hurt UF. Had I known you would turn it into a full blown debate in a FSU CHEATING thread I would have never answered it.

So now Ray speaks in third person?  Well Bucemup thinks that is kind of sad. LOL

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#29 : December 21, 2007, 01:41:12 PM

The answer depends on the age of the fan you ask.  Somebody that is in their 20's is going to tell you that it is FSU hands down.  I guess you old folks are going to say its Georgia. 

This is something I did state before.

For the record I am 27 and I still say UGA.  But I understand the history of the programs and realize that UGA is historically UF's biggest rival and likely always will be. 

But if we really want to get on what got this started, the thing is for FSU is hands down, no question UF.  With UF you can have up to 4 different responses.  So for an FSU fan pretty much all his focus is on UF, whereas a UF fan has many more rivals to contend with.  Which is why I said to Snook that FSU being down helps but not as much as it would help FSU with UF being down, since UF still has other rivals yet FSU would reap benefits galore with UF being down, as we saw in the late 80's.  UF's probation and sanctions led directly to the rise of FSU football. 
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bigger Rivalry in the 90's? Help settle an argument « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools