Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING NEWS: RICE PLACED ON INJURED RESERVE « previous next »
Page: 1 2

PewterReportJF

Hall of Famer

: November 22, 2006, 10:12:45 AM

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers placed defensive end Simeon Rice (shoulder) on injured reserve Wednesday. Pewter Report will have more on this story later today.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 22, 2006, 10:15:23 AM

That is interesting.  Thanks Simeon for everything it looks like your time is up here in Tampa.  With that said I wonder who the Bucs add to the roster.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 22, 2006, 10:17:17 AM

Rice was the man and appreciate what's he brought to the team. Bring Dwight Freeny here in the off-season!!!

watson

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 22, 2006, 10:17:40 AM

Hopefully Bryant has decided to play up to his abilities and will be brought to the active roster and actually do something.  But with Bolden's injury they may bring in a DB.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

calicojack

Starter
#4 : November 22, 2006, 10:18:11 AM

About a month too late.  Sad to see a great player put in gimmicky schemes to cover up an injury.  Hopefully, he returns to his past game-changing ways as a Buc.

The Dream Team

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 22, 2006, 10:19:34 AM

Sad to see a great player put in gimmicky schemes to cover up an injury

what?

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#6 : November 22, 2006, 10:20:36 AM

I think we will still see Rice here next year. If we can become a good team he can make us better. Yes we have to pay him 7 million or so, but that is not really that bad for someone who "can" be a dominant pass rusher. Plus coming off injury, and with a deep class of DE's in the draft, he is not going to have much trade value and it would not make sense to let him just walk away for nothing.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 22, 2006, 10:21:49 AM

I would think this likely means Rice won't be a Buccaneer in 2007. I like Simeon, but I won't miss his cap hit.

calicojack

Starter
#8 : November 22, 2006, 10:56:04 AM

what?

I noticed that the D-line was flopped from left to right on several play vs. the g-men.  Did anyone else notice this?  Could it be to get Simeon in a better position to play with a sore shoulder?  How sore is that shoulder?

Add to that, he was dropping into pass coverage alot recently.  The zone dog works when used on rare occasions, but not when used often.  He just had no leverage with that bum shoulder.

The Dream Team

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 22, 2006, 11:01:33 AM

Very good observations.  It was not done just for Simeon Rice though.  It was done to provide a change of pace on defense.  But Simeon Rice simply was not producing no matter how Monte was trying to use him.  A healthy Simeon is very good playing that zone and catches a lot of teams by suprise.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 22, 2006, 11:11:40 AM

what?

I noticed that the D-line was flopped from left to right on several play vs. the g-men. Did anyone else notice this? Could it be to get Simeon in a better position to play with a sore shoulder? How sore is that shoulder?

Add to that, he was dropping into pass coverage alot recently. The zone dog works when used on rare occasions, but not when used often. He just had no leverage with that bum shoulder.

I've seen Rice drop into coverage for as long as he's been here. Now it may be more than usual because of that injury but I've seen it forever with Simm, even Spires.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#11 : November 22, 2006, 11:23:46 AM

Too bad, I was really looking forward to watching Simeon break the single season sack record ....again.....

but seriously, Rice has done a lot for this team since his arrival, he has sparked more than a few victories with splash plays. It will be sad in a way to see him go. But we have the cap space to keep him if we want. It will all depend on what FAs we land and who we draft. It'll be interesting to see how the FO plays this

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 22, 2006, 11:27:21 AM

What does this spell for other teams I wonder? How do you guys feel about it, does this hurt the chances of him being dealt???

I loved Rice's game but I am certain he is a goner. From his outburst to the media about Gruden last year to his age getting a year older. I think we need to part ways with Rice. Once a speed guy loses a step he goes down hill quickly. Rice is still a good player but he is no longer elite IMHO, not after this year.

Baghead #2

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#13 : November 22, 2006, 11:44:42 AM

just hope to him him in a bucs uni next year with a more cap friendly contract. this may give the FO some leverage in a renegotiation.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#14 : November 22, 2006, 11:50:14 AM

What does this spell for other teams I wonder? How do you guys feel about it, does this hurt the chances of him being dealt???

I loved Rice's game but I am certain he is a goner. From his outburst to the media about Gruden last year to his age getting a year older. I think we need to part ways with Rice. Once a speed guy loses a step he goes down hill quickly. Rice is still a good player but he is no longer elite IMHO, not after this year.

Maybe it will help dealing him to other teams because his lack of production can be blamed on injury. It just depends on the team in question, will they shy away because Rice didn't produce and think his skils are deteriorating? or will they believe he's still an elite player, but will shy away believing he's more prone to injury at his age? or will they take a chance believing his injury is behind him and he's an elite player? I bet there's a team that will believe the last-mentioned...Heck, if  someone gave up a 2nd rounder for underachieving, injury prone Booger, then we should be able to get something for Rice

His outburst to the media was in 2004, and I don't think it was this huge negative thing, it might have actually helped. Rice complained about accountability, and in 2005 Gruden made accountability his theme for the year. IIRC, Gruden even siad that when a respected player like Rice speaks out, he listens.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING NEWS: RICE PLACED ON INJURED RESERVE « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools