Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Future is Bright!!!! « previous next »
Page: 1

Badabingnrt

Starter

: November 22, 2006, 04:12:15 AM

Everyone remember when Gruden said this after the 5-11 season a few years ago.  Well he was right.  You gotta love this young offense we have set in place.  They will grow and learn together and I can't wait for it to come to a whole.  I'm glad the Glazers aren't like many of you that want Gruden fired.  Clearly he and Allen have a good plan for the offense.  I expect much of the draft next year to be used towards defense.  However, if we have Calvin Johnson sitting there when it's our pick, I wouldn't mind if he was selected and then defense with the two 2nd and 3rd.

QB Bruce Gradkowski-He is just 23 years old and is leading the rookie class as far as QBs are concerned.  I love the 9 touchdowns and just 4 interceptions.  I don't understand why many people don't like this guy.  It seems we have the Dungy/Simms Fans and then we have the Gruden/Gradkowski fans.  Obviously, I'm on the G/G side.  I mean sure I would like to see Grads throw for over 200 yards and bring up his completion percentage, but hes a rookie give him a break.

Simms really didn't do much last year, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 games.  He had 10 TDs and 7 interceptions in 10 starts.  Gradkowski had 9 TDs and 4 interceptions in 7 starts.  Simms had a #1 Defense and a solid rushing attack, where Gradkowski has a #21 D that is injured and with the exception of last week, a mediorcre rushing attack.

Listen, Let's just give Gradkowski a chance.  He is doing great and will only improve.  Tom Brady didn't even play his rookie year as a 6th rounder.  He took over due to injury in his 2nd season, in which he didn't even throw a TD pass until his 3rd NFL Start.  Through his first 7 starts he had 11 TDs and 5 interceptions.  Matt Hasselbeck, another 6th rounder, didn't start until his 3rd season in which he had 4 touchdowns to 5 interceptions in his first 7 starts.

RB Carnell Williams is 24 years old and is coming off a Rookie of the Year effort.  He isn't having the same year, but is on pace, even with the slow start to reach 990 yards.  If he can play like he did against the Redskins expect him to break the 1000 yard mark despite the infamous sophmore slump.  He is going to be the offense and foundation.  Love the kid and heres to him having a huge Turkey Day.

WRs Michael Clayton, 24 years old, and Maurice Stovall, 21 years old, will play big parts in the future.  I know we are down on Clayton, but he will get his chance to shine once again when old man Galloway calls it quits.  I would love to see the ball spread out more, but it seems the only QB we had to do that was Brad Johnson.  TE Alex Smith, 24 years old, is another play maker in the making.

The right side of the offensive line is set with 6 foot 8 Jeremy Trueblood, 23 years old, and mobile guard Davin Joseph, 22 years old, for years to come.  Dan Buenning was solid last year and is coming into his own after struggling in the beginning of this year.

Of course your going to say, well why is the offense so mediocre then?  Well give it time, these guys are young.  Gradkowski, Stovall, Trueblood, and Joseph are rookies.  Buenning, Cadillac, and Alex Smith are sophmores; and Clayton is the guy that is dissapointing us; but maybe he wasn't the guy we thought he was.  I still think he is a good receiver, but I don't know if he's #1 material.  Maybe if we can draft Calvin Johnson, we can have him as our #1; Clayton as the #2, and Stovall in the slot to have the offense set for years to come.

Oh, the Defense you say?  Well as the "aging D" gets used time and time again; you got to take into account Brian Kelly being out for the whole year; Simeon Rice and Shelton Quarles being questionable almost every game, etc.  Injuries are a big factor, but let's not say that one year is going to make the #1 D turn to #21.  They are picking their game up as of late, ESPECIALLY AGAINST THE RUN.  They held Tiki to 58 yards on 26 carries, Reggie Bush to -5 yards on 11 carries, McAllister 32 yards on 15 carries, and absolutely shut down the Panthers and Skins run game during the past 4 weeks. 

DeWayne White isn't part of the young crowd anymore, but he is still in his mid 20s and as is quitely becoming our best defensive line-man.  Chris Hovan isn't old nor is Ellis Wyms.  Ryan Nece is in his mid 20s as well as Jermaine Phillips.  Now I agree with the exception of White, none of the above are spectacular and we need to draft players; I still am excited with Ruud, Zemetis, and Allen.  I think Barber will remain a top player for the next few years and that Brooks, although not 2002 form, is still a top 10 backer in this league even with his poor play.

Hopefully are Bucs can put a run together to end the season on a high note, but keep your heads up high and stop this tirade on firing Gruden, benching Gradkowski, etc.  It sickens me. 

If we can get a solid DB, LB, and DL in the upcoming draft, then we will be fine on defense.  That leaves one first day pick up in the air....offense?  Who knows?  I'm just saying if our Bucs dont end on a high note and end with high pick, can't say I would argue with a Calvin Johnson selection.  After all, who on D in the upcoming draft is worth a top pick?  I think we can get some high quality D players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

GO BUCS! GO GRUDEN!  GO GRADKOWSKI!

TDTB

Second String

#1 : November 22, 2006, 04:14:42 AM

I think since this game focus's so much on stats we forget that people play the game. There is never a garuntee that a player will get better or worse. Just because they're young doesn't mean they haven't peaked.

Of course then you have Shelton Quarles and Trent Dilfer who peaked very late in their careers.

Badabingnrt

Starter

#2 : November 22, 2006, 04:23:25 AM

I agree with you on this, but the odds favor younger players getting better.  Not many times does a young player digress rather then progress.

Obviously Simms is one of them.  Don't understand how he can fall flat on his face like that after having a whole off-season to prepare, but hey it happens.  Odds are in favor of Gradkowski, the player known in college for his accuracy, to IMPROVE on his accuracy as he gets more and more experience.  They say the last thing for a rookie QB to get a handle of is the accuracy on the Deep Ball.  Well 14/21 in the last game, including 4 drops, isn't bad for accuracy, and Grads has hit Galloway deep a few times.  Not to mention the numerous times Galloway and Clayton have dropped passes; i.e. Giants game.

I'm not saying that Grads will be the next Hasselbeck or Brady; but with the way he's playing; better then all the rookies, I would think we as buc fans would be excited about this kid rather then ditch him non-stop?

Just don't understand how you can ditch a kid.  Many say they want Simms back?  I don't know about you, but I cringed every time he and Brian Griese dropped back the past few years.  It seemed that every ball had an oppurtunity to be returned for an INT.

With Gradkowski, you can actually relax a little.  At least I can.  He just needs to work on recieving the snap from center.  I dont know how many times he screwed that up so far.

TDTB

Second String

#3 : November 22, 2006, 04:56:45 AM

I agree I want no part of Simms, and at the very least Grads has earned the chance to start next season, and he does have a lot of potential.

Generally gaining experience means you get better at something as well.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 22, 2006, 06:40:46 AM

Definitely bright!

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 22, 2006, 07:44:49 AM

Java, you girl needs a shave.LOL, Happy Thanksgiving. Love your posts

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 22, 2006, 11:15:30 AM

Java, you girl needs a shave.

I mentioned that to her the other day.    She didn't think she needed it.   I'll tell her I'm not the only one noticing.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Future is Bright!!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools