Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kipers Big Board has 9 DLineman « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

: November 23, 2006, 01:36:10 PM

We should go OL, DL, CB and Safety throughout this entire draft as lets face it we can sign LB's (Briggs or June) and after Calvin Johnson there are not that many big play WR's. I would love to see us somehow work a trade, pick up another 1st round pick and go Gaines Adams, Tank Tyler and Brandon Merriweather with our first three picks then in the third or fourth round go Marcus Thomas as imagine a DL of White, Ellis, Hovan and Rice with Adams, Tyler and Haye as top backups. Merriweather could start with Will Allen or we move Ronde to safety and sign a Nate Clements to play opposite BK. Our LB's could be Briggs/June/Winborn, Ruud and Brooks with Nece and Quarles as top backups. I know getting another 1st round pick is slim but I think we would only need to trade down a few spots to pick up some extra picks then be able to trade back up into the first round.
Good plan but cant trade down in the 1st and still get Adams. would probaly lose one of the second round picks in addition.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 23, 2006, 11:31:37 AM

Good point Itch

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 23, 2006, 11:43:24 AM

I think the problem is more with the whole offense learning on the job basically, more than it is a problem with one player such as Clayton.  Gruden's offense depends on the timing being right. 

???  The ball is hitting him on BOTH hands, and he is still dropping it.  Clayton is looking more and more like a one-year-wonder every week.  That is absolutely nothing to do with the young O-line or rookie QB, it is a third year player failing to execute.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 23, 2006, 10:52:45 AM

I think the problem is more with the whole offense learning on the job basically, more than it is a problem with one player such as Clayton.  Gruden's offense depends on the timing being right.  If we bring in a top WR before the rest of the offense is in sync it will just be a waste.

#4 : November 23, 2006, 10:32:30 AM

If we could trade Simeon for a 2nd round pick would you turn around and trade that pick to move up and get Thomas? I would. Most people on here wouldnt stand for trading a pick for an offensive player. But I see noreason the defensive needs cant be filled in FA for he most part. Joe Thomas is a legend in the making.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 23, 2006, 10:30:30 AM

I wnat Joe Thomas more than anyone. I think I have to put Calvin Johnson #2, hes just that good. Next is Gaines Adams. Gaines Adams is a 'great' pass rusher.

that would be my board as well, and I think that might be the top three for the Bucs.

#6 : November 23, 2006, 10:27:13 AM

I wnat Joe Thomas more than anyone. I think I have to put Calvin Johnson #2, hes just that good. Next is Gaines Adams. Gaines Adams is a 'great' pass rusher. Then I like Buster Davis and Levi Brown, both of which are somewhat overlooked but will be very good. Jamarcus Russell would go somewhere in the mix with Davis and Brown, for the JaMarcus Russell doubters watch what he does this weekend against Arkansas. He is going to be without a doubt a 1st round pick. I say hell no to Laron Landry. Give me Brandon Meriweather at the top of round 2. If Meriweather is there at the top of round 2 I wil be absolutely shocked. I really dont see him going to round 2, he should be the 1st safety taken as he is the best safety in this draft class.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 23, 2006, 10:25:14 AM

For me, it all begins upfront. Draft, in no particular order, defensive linemen, offensive linemen(center) with the first four picks. They should contribute next year.

I agree, but Gruden is picking and if CJ is there it will be interesting.  I would take Brain Leonard in the 2nd round if he was available, that would help Caddy a hell of a lot.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 23, 2006, 10:22:48 AM

For me, it all begins upfront. Draft, in no particular order, defensive linemen, offensive linemen(center) with the first four picks. They should contribute next year. If we can run the ball consistently, we can throw the ball. If we can put pressure on the QB and stuff the run, the lb's and db's are adequate, not great. The next year, we can draft the db's necessary to fully revamp the defense. Next years draft should stabilize the franchise, make us an 8-8 team with a chance for playoffs. The following year we should be in the 'hunt'. Somehow I hink the Glazers/Allen/Gruden have a plan and they're sticking to it.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 23, 2006, 10:07:41 AM

WR is one of the needs but by no means one of the top needs.  

I think WR is fast becoming a glaring need, which is shocking after the reports we had out of camp.  Clayton is a borderline bust and Joey is 36 years old with two bad knees and an history of injuries.  We have Hilliard and hopefully Stovall, but neither are starting WR really.  If Clayton finds his hands, and Joey stays healthy we are OK.....worst case scenario we don't have a WR core.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 23, 2006, 09:58:14 AM

If Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson fall to us Gruden will take one of them.  Otherwise it will be BAP DE or DT.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 23, 2006, 09:58:31 AM

A safety with no pass rush, brilliant. Picking that high in the draft they will take one of three positions; DE, WR or LT, with an outside chance on DT if they rate one high enough.

I sincerely hope we don't take a WR day one

You take BAP in the 1st round, and that high up the draft it might be a WR. If Calvin Johnson drops to us it will be hard to pass on. This team's WR core very thin, and Joey is very near the end of his career, so who do we have if he is gone?

I hear ya, but I'd have no problem passing on Johnson.  We just spent a day one pick on a guy that hasn't really seen the field, so we don't know what we have there.  Why use another pick until we know Stovall can't be the guy?  In an offense where the ball is (supposed to be) spread around to multiple guys, premium pick WRs don't have as much value.  Look at what's going on with the Pats.  They are getting most of their production out of cheap FA acquisitions.  I could maybe see a case if we cut Clayton, but I think he's got at least another year.

Bucs don't take "BAP."  They want their first round to be an impact starting player right away.  They look to fill holes with the draft.  Thats how the Bucs have stated they operate, they don't even pretend to say they take BAP.  The holes will be at DT, DE, DB, maybe LT and maybe WR. QB is a hole but I don't see the Bucs going with a rookie.  WR is one of the needs but by no means one of the top needs.  

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 23, 2006, 09:51:22 AM

If CJ is on the board I can't see Gruden passing on him:

Calvin Johnson has a phenomenal package of skills, with a blend of size, speed, hands and body control that you rarely, if ever, see in a prospect. Johnson is the definition of an elite prospect.

I know we need help on D, but hopefully FA will provide some relief there.  If you go back and check past drafts we only really had two 1st round pick that really contributed on D anyway, DB and Sapp, with the only other 1st round pick being McFarland.

In the first round you take BAP premium blue-chip talent, and if it fills a position of need that is a bonus.  With Joey being 36 next season we are skating on thin ice relying on him.  He is one little injury away from possibly calling it a day.

I agree that Gruden would love him and probably wouldn't pass on him.  But I don't believe it's the best pick for the team.

Re: Joey, remember I was all in favor of trading him before the deadline.  If that were the case, I would have used that pick on a WR.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 23, 2006, 09:48:25 AM

If CJ is on the board I can't see Gruden passing on him:

Calvin Johnson has a phenomenal package of skills, with a blend of size, speed, hands and body control that you rarely, if ever, see in a prospect. Johnson is the definition of an elite prospect.

I know we need help on D, but hopefully FA will provide some relief there.  If you go back and check past drafts we only really had two 1st round pick that really contributed on D anyway, DB and Sapp, with the only other 1st round pick being McFarland.

In the first round you take BAP premium blue-chip talent, and if it fills a position of need that is a bonus.  With Joey being 36 next season we are skating on thin ice relying on him.  He is one little injury away from possibly calling it a day.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 23, 2006, 09:47:49 AM

What's funny is that this list doesn't even include Alan Branch -
As was mentioned, Juniors were not listed on Mel's big board.  But Scouts Inc lists Branch as the top DT and 5th overall player.   Adams is 4th and Pit**CENSORED** is 6th.

I did notice that the vaunted Michigan defense got blown out of the water for 42 points, but Branch was Johnny on the spot a couple times.  He pounced on a loose fumble and batted a pass I think.  When you see him out chasing somebody you see that that big guy can run.  

I don't know Adams from Adam at this point, but for a DE guy to be a top 5 pick he really has to be able to get after the QB ala Kearse or Peppers or somebody like that. From the sound of the description he is OK but not in that category.  If we are going to spend a top 5 pick on a DE I want him to be the next Rice and be able to terrorize the QB.  But Scouts Inc ranks him 4th for some reason so I guess I'll keep the jury out on him at this point.

Pit**CENSORED** will be good, but I think may be a little overrated because of being on Ohio State. I don't see him fitting into the Bucs plans if the pick is in the top 10.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kipers Big Board has 9 DLineman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools