Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2007 starting QB will be: « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#30 : December 05, 2006, 12:54:50 AM

What do you mean Garcia agreed to terms 3 yrs ago? Why isn't he here?

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#31 : December 05, 2006, 12:56:06 AM

Gru/Allen don't ave the time to turn the ship aound required by a new rookie.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 05, 2006, 12:34:43 AM

Well, Jeff Garcia IS ugly & bald! ;)

Pretty childish......its shaved BTW.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#33 : December 05, 2006, 12:31:26 AM

Well, Jeff Garcia IS ugly & bald! ;)

#34 : December 05, 2006, 11:07:03 AM

grad kowski is playing at the same level simms was last year? is that some sort of a joke

We need to line 'em both up back there.  Grads takes the snap, runs off tackle with Simms lead blocking.  Next time, Grads takes the snap, runs up the middle...FLEA FLICKER!  Simms hits Larry Brackins deep!

YEAH!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 05, 2006, 12:52:27 AM

Please no Garcia.  But if the Bucs offer him money, I can see Derrick Deese, Todd Steussie, Charlie Garner references being made left and right.  Don't waste the jack on this guy.

Granted he has a nice game once in a great while, he is old, will be working with no O-line (and he is short, so he won't make good throws behind piss poor pass blocking), and will not be a man to save Grudens job next year.  You all honestly think an older GArcia will be the man next year?  He is a backup at this point.

And to say he might be starter material makes me think "We can't be that damned desperate can we?"

I am as impatient as the next guy about my team (or I would like to think), but this quick "fix" is equivalent to a sugar buzz.  It will be gone soon enough.

Name a better option to run the WCO for a year?  

Garcia agreed terms on a multi-year deal in Tampa about three years ago, so Gruden likes him.  If he finishes the season playing anything like tonight he will definitely be on their shopping list.

gone

Hall of Famer
#36 : December 05, 2006, 12:29:19 AM

My vote on who the '07 QB will be -- (not necessarily who I WANT, but who I think it will be)

Gradkowski.

We're stuck now.  I truly believe Gru is back in07.  For 3reasons: 1) the cap/draft issues.  Oakland was quickly rebuilt with a reasonable draft and cap sitch under Gru, so it's not like he hasn't done it before. 2) If Simms had just played reasonably well in those first games and we lost some heartbreaers there, would we even be talking about him going or would we be talking about how a QB driven O is shot when the QB goes down?
3) Big one, I don't think anyone else ever mentioned this -- If Gruden goes, most likely so does Kiffin.  Monte loves his job, but he's not likely to go through this again, especially since if you're gonna give a new coach the reins, he's gonna want to know the DC will stick around a few, and Monte's at the age where it's hard to put your heart into a new venture.

I Don't think Simms is QB next year for 2 reasons as well. 1) I doubt he's here -- We let the QB that had an exceptional winning % go due to cap issues last year, I don't see us breaking the bank on a wager that simms gets better.  He has shown nothing to us to indicate he was worth any more than we gave him this offseason.  But another team may say he'd be a better fit in their style and take more of a gamble than we should.  Given the lame FA class this year, it's odds that he's gone.  2) I doubt he wins the spot if he's here.  I don't think Grads is great.  He's OK, that's about it right now.  But with even a marginal improvement in his arm this offseason he's better than Simms was last year.  Simms took a 5-1 team under Greise and went 6-5 with them.  Better arm, worse brain.  He has shown he has trouble learning new things (i.e. the center snap), and the book on him has been he makes the same mistakes he made in college.  Nothing in his history shows he will learn this O anytime soon.

There's no way we draft a QB with Gru here.  Get that outta your heads right now.  2 reasons again: 1) All we need is a good 3-4 years from a QB.  Gru can pull that out of a marginal FA.  If Brad had not lost his arm he'd prolly have just finished his run with us last year. 2) in those 3-4 years another QB could be groomed.  If Brad had kept his arm we would not have started the QB carousel that screwed us the last few years.  He'd have stayed as starter, Gru prototype or not, and we'd be moving his replacement in this year.  If anything, rather than Draft, Gru brings in a smart if underappreciated vet and tries to milk those years out of him, and may very well be successful at it.

Unfortunately for the vet scenario, there's also situational issues here.  There are limited options in FA.  A "Seller's Market" if you will.  And there are no FA QB's that can come right in and work this O from Day one.  We might take a shot on Green/Huard, Carr if he's there, or possibly Plummer, but we won't be screwing our cap for a few years on a guy that won't be here in 09, and there are plenty of teams that would be willing to take that shot.  We have probably the worst QB situation in the league right now, by far, but I think the FO won't be stupid enough to sell the farm to address it when there are other options.  Carr we might be willing to shell out for if he's there, but the others aren't worth it when you consider other positions that could be filled with their salaries.  Oh, and get Shaub out of your heads too.  RFA, not worth a first and third.
The "other options" are grabbing a Somewhat better but not premiere vet QB, building the team and waiting on a better FA market for QB's (and seeing what Grads/McCown) can do, and revamping the D.  MJ Mentioned Garcia, that's possible, but too short-term IMO.  Maybe we'll see him if Gru is sold on Grads and wants to buy him a year...

With all his physical talent, Simms was playing at a similar level last year to what Grads is playing this year.  Fixing the issues on the team as a whole, and giving Grads some time to work on his techinque and strength, are the most likely route to success here.  Grads can manage a good team, and in the time he is managing that team, the future QB can be found if Grads has as low a ceiling as many think.  But this way the TEAM as a whole is more solid and that gives greater longevity and flexibility.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 04, 2006, 11:30:12 PM

And I haven't given up on Grads yet either. He is a rookie and we all know how long it takes for
most rookies to get used to the pro game. Well, most of us know. Okay, some of us.

Garcia looks very good tonight 3 TDs.

#38 : December 05, 2006, 12:52:06 AM

I am as impatient as the next guy about my team (or I would like to think), but this quick "fix" is equivalent to a sugar buzz.  It will be gone soon enough.

This is a major concern of mine. We all pretty much agree that next year is a must win for Gruden which tells me that the quick fix is a great possibility. I think if we are gonna stick with Gruden, then an extension( 2 yr) is in order to prevent this from happening.... otherwise replace him now.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#39 : December 04, 2006, 10:59:53 PM

NO, NO, none of the above!!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 04, 2006, 11:26:21 PM

Besides Simms, Karen, who would you sign? I'm open to others who may be available.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 04, 2006, 10:57:30 PM

Hey, wait a minute MJS. We're supposed to be in love with Grads so we should be against anything
that might get him out of the starting line-up.

Screw Garcia!

I have only ever wanted the best for the Buccs, that is why I was 100% behind Simms when he got his shot last year.  It became very apparent Simms wasn't right for the WCO, so Grads was next in line.  I still think he has quite a bit of upside, but a veteran is essential for next year.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 04, 2006, 11:01:59 PM

NO, NO, none of the above!!

And what better options are they Karen, and don't say Simms.    Gracia will be happy to get a shot at starting in a WCO for a year or two, and Gruden tried to sign him three years ago.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#43 : December 04, 2006, 10:52:52 PM

Hey, wait a minute MJS. We're supposed to be in love with Grads so we should be against anything
that might get him out of the starting line-up.

Screw Garcia!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 04, 2006, 10:45:11 PM

Well he is looking OK so far tonight, and he is 5:0 for TD:INT this season.  Playing for vets minimum this year and 37 in February, he is the ideal one/two year fix for Gruden.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2007 starting QB will be: « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools