Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Newsflash: Rice Untradeable! « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 22, 2006, 06:23:41 PM

When you get permission to be traded dont you have to work out a new deal with your new team?

He'll be traded trust me.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#16 : November 22, 2006, 06:33:43 PM

He'll renegotiate and be somewhere else next year. I'd bet on it.
Of course he'll be somewhere else next year.  But it won't be by trade. He'll be cut and signed as a free agent by somebody.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#17 : November 22, 2006, 06:35:51 PM

Hit55, don't say "Trust me" when you don't even know what you are talking about.  What do you mean "When you get permission to be traded"?

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 22, 2006, 06:41:29 PM

well, all that sounds swell, but I think he will end up back here next year after all, but don't trust me on that, it's just a gut feeling that SOMETHING is gonna happen to get him back...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 22, 2006, 06:52:27 PM

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/02/11/Bucs/Keyshawn_back_in_acti.shtml

But in order for Johnson to return to the Bucs he likely would have to restructure his contract. Including his roster bonus, Johnson would earn $6-million in 2004, and his cap value is about $8-million.

"I would kill their salary cap," Johnson said.

Keyshawn's cap number was high and as a result he signed a new one being part of the trade agreement.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/03/03/Bucs/Bucs_say_goodbye_to_f.shtml

Johnson said he will agree to terms on a four-year contract with the Cowboys "within the next 24 hours," reuniting him with coach Bill Parcells.

"I'm excited. I'm very excited," Johnson said. "It took a late push by (former Cowboys receiver) Michael Irvin to help get the deal done."

Johnson's deal with the Cowboys clears the first hurdle for his expected trade for Dallas receiver Joey Galloway.

Not only that but Galloway was offered a new deal when he was traded becuase his cap value was high as well.

Keenan McCardell's deal was modest beucause he signed post June 1st for a low deal in 2002 after being cut by the Jags.

Booger's base salary is a decent sized but the Colts in the off season have to decide to extend him or cut him becuase his base value in 2007 is not healthy.

McFarland will be 30 next season, making $5.5 million, and his performance, in the eyes of some within the Tampa organization, had dropped off the past couple of seasons. The Buccaneers thought McFarland's value was now at its highest point and they could get more for him now than they could on draft day 2007. Thus, they made the deal.

Basically a lot of time players that are traded work out new deals for the trades to occur.  And sometimes they occur later (Eg McCardell) in terms of an extension.  With Booger we will see what the Colts do with his cap value.

Like I said before Rice can be traded and his cap value is not that big of an obstacle.   It is his health and ability to play that are the bigger question marks than his cap value whether or not a trade is feasible.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#20 : November 22, 2006, 07:04:31 PM

Rice could be stubborn and stick to his guns with his $7 mil base salary for the last year of his contract but if a team offered him a 4 year 10 million dollar deal with $8 million siging bonus he would be crazy not to take it.

Assuming the annual base salary is the same with the pro rated signing bonus being spread out over four years.

2007: $2.5 m + $2 m = $4.5
2008: $2.5 m + $2 m = $4.5
2009: $2.5 m + $2 m = $4.5
2010: $2.5 m + $2 m = $4.5

Rice would receive a lot more guaranteed up front money, a longer contract, and a decent base salary.  The team receving him would receive a manageable total cap value over four years.  If his play falls off in the third year the cap hit would be for $4 mil and in the final year the cap hit would be $2 mil.  Basically if a team feels he is worth it for 2-3 more years they may pull the trigger on him.

Edit:  Or a team can just give him a trial run with the $7 mil bases salary if the team trading for him has cap space and does not want to give him a new contract with a signing bonus.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#21 : November 22, 2006, 07:09:09 PM

Rice could be stubborn and stick to his guns with his $7 mil base salary for the last year of his contract but if a team offered him a 4 year 10 million dollar deal with $8 million siging bonus he would be crazy not to take it.

Assuming the annual base salary is the same with the pro rated signing bonus being spread out over four years.

2007: $2.5 m + $2 m = $4.5
2008: $2.5 m + $2 m = $4.5
2009: $2.5 m + $2 m = $4.5
2010: $2.5 m + $2 m = $4.5

Rice would receive a lot more guaranteed up front money, a longer contract, and a decent base salary. The team receving him would receive a manageable total cap value over four years. If his play falls off in the third year the cap hit would be for $4 mil and in the final year the cap hit would be $2 mil. Basically if a team feels he is worth it for 2-3 more years they may pull the trigger on him.

Is that your hero in your avatar?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 22, 2006, 07:10:40 PM

Is that your hero in your avatar?

Yes.  Siragusa almost turned him into Hamburger meat though.  :P
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Newsflash: Rice Untradeable! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools