Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Jonathan Stewart « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Chucky4mayor

Starter

#30 : January 01, 2008, 11:59:56 AM

if he's top 10 talent and won't go into the draft if he's projected past top 10 why are you even discussing him?  i don't know too much about college football this year so id rather hear about guys we have a chance of getting.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 01, 2008, 12:17:54 PM

I like WR Malcolm Kelly ALOT better than all 3

I Like Kelly as well, but doubt he be there when we pick, IMO DJ Hall has all the ingredients of a great NFL receiver, speed, size, and great hands.  Especially if he's there in round 2.

gharen

Pro Bowler

#32 : January 01, 2008, 12:40:24 PM

I'm still hoping Brohm falls to us and we get our future QB. If not, I would jump at a chance to get Stewart. He can shorten the field in a hurry. Other than Galloway, we don't have a guy that scares the defense with his speed. OBF, do you know Stewarts size and 40 time?

#33 : January 01, 2008, 01:53:18 PM

I would put Ray Rice right there with Stewart, personally I like Rica a little better

what about Rice game you like better? Ive watched both and I think its McFadden/Stewart and a drop.

Well being a USF fan, I have seen quite a bit of Ray Rice the past 3 years. First of all, he has 3500 yards and 40 TD in the last 2 years. He had 1700 yards and 20 TD as a 19 year old Sophomore. I love McFadden, and I like Stewart a lot too, but Ray Rice was so physically impressive as a 18/19 year old that even as a fan of a rival team I couldnt help but sit in awe while I watched him. He may be 200 lbs, but you couldve fooled me. I thoguht he was atleast 6'3 230. Seriously, I dont know that I have ever seen a 18 year old kid who was so physically imposing at that level. He has such a low center of gravity that it is very hard to tackle him with 1 guy. Almost like MIke Alstott from that standpoint. He had 181 yards against USF this year, and 201 last year, and 158 as a 18 year old true freshman and while that might not soudn as impressive after watching Stewart yesterday you have to realize that USF's defense normally looks nothing like they did yesterday, and in fact Rice is the only 100 yard rusher they allowed all year.

You can take Stewart, I'll take Rice.  To say there is a "big dropoff" after McFadden and Stewart is just silly

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 01, 2008, 01:55:00 PM

I don't think we should take anyone one of them, we need a change of pace back.. McFadden/Felix Jones type not Stewart/Rice. I like Ray Rice but I don't think we should get him because we have two already.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

#35 : January 01, 2008, 01:59:24 PM

btw, since when is Oregon a bigger college than Michigan? LOL yea those Ray Rice and Mike Hart guys played for real small colleges in BCS conferences. And since when does the PAC 10 play defense? If all else is equal, I;ll take a BIg East RB before PAC 10.

Since Ray Rice's size is being considered a knock on here, let's take guesses at which guy put up which numbers. One of them had 21 TD the past 2 years combined, the other one had 20 TD this year alone. Who is the 200 lb guy and who is 230 lbs? I mean if actual size dictates style of play, the answer should be easy, right?

Sorry but I think Ray Rice plays bigger than Stewart

gypsie

Starter

#36 : January 01, 2008, 04:29:53 PM

I think he was refering to the back as small not the school, but I could be wrong.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 01, 2008, 05:03:12 PM

I doubt USF players agree

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 01, 2008, 05:32:20 PM

btw, since when is Oregon a bigger college than Michigan? LOL yea those Ray Rice and Mike Hart guys played for real small colleges in BCS conferences. And since when does the PAC 10 play defense? If all else is equal, I;ll take a BIg East RB before PAC 10.

Since Ray Rice's size is being considered a knock on here, let's take guesses at which guy put up which numbers. One of them had 21 TD the past 2 years combined, the other one had 20 TD this year alone. Who is the 200 lb guy and who is 230 lbs? I mean if actual size dictates style of play, the answer should be easy, right?

i was referring to the players size.  rice is a stud on the college level.  so is hart.  but your size has to fit your running style. those two guy (rice & hart) take and dish out a lot of punishment. at the pro level, at 200lbs you cant be a workhorse/grinder/between the tackles style back because the pounding will be too much.  to survive at that size, they'd have to adapt their running style to be more shifty and elusive (dunn&westbrook). 

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#39 : January 01, 2008, 05:50:50 PM

I would put Ray Rice right there with Stewart, personally I like Rica a little better

Stewart's a better receiver, has experience returning, has MUCH better measurables, and is capable of bigger games. There's just now way to justify Rice being close to Stewart right now. He's not as injury-prone, but thats about it.

#40 : January 01, 2008, 07:05:22 PM

OBF, Ray Rice has 561 rushing yards in 3 games vs USF. I'm sure the best way to find out how much better Stewart is than Rice isn't by asking USF, btw, when USF plays Rutgers they stack the box with 8 or 9 guys because Rutgers offense is much more unbalanced and simplified than Oregon. And still, USF couldnt stop the one man show that is Ray Rice. Not that Stewart didnt dominate USF even moreso, but Ray Rice single handedly took USF out of the NC picture so USF isnt a good point of reference for why Stewart is so much better

dbtb, How is Stewart capable of bigger games? Stewart is a better receiver but I think Rice is a better pure runner. PLus, with Brian Leonard gone this year Rutgers did use Rice out of the backfield and he put up good receiving numbers.

Ray Rice has 680 injury free carries in his last 2 seasons (as a 19 and 20 year old). I point out his age because he is only going to mature, and get stronger, and more durable and capable of carrying a full load.

Jonathan STewart has 463 carries the past 2 seasons and I believe he has battled some sort of injuries. Im not saying Stewart is injury prone or cant carry the load, but Im just saying Rice has proven he can take a pounding and give even more of one

Rice is a lot like Maurice Jones-Drew. Small, compact, very low center of gravity, great balance, pound for pound as strong a runner as you will find

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#41 : January 01, 2008, 07:49:41 PM

dbtb, How is Stewart capable of bigger games? Stewart is a better receiver but I think Rice is a better pure runner. PLus, with Brian Leonard gone this year Rutgers did use Rice out of the backfield and he put up good receiving numbers.

Stewart can take over games when he's on. Rice is one of those guys that need to be involved consistently and gets better as the game goes on. As noted by Stewart having 65 less carries and only 10 less yards. I think Stewart is the more explosive player, the bigger threat of the two.

Ray Rice has 680 injury free carries in his last 2 seasons (as a 19 and 20 year old). I point out his age because he is only going to mature, and get stronger, and more durable and capable of carrying a full load.

Jonathan STewart has 463 carries the past 2 seasons and I believe he has battled some sort of injuries. Im not saying Stewart is injury prone or cant carry the load, but Im just saying Rice has proven he can take a pounding and give even more of one

Caddy proved he could take a pounding his last two years at Auburn. Benson did the same at Texas. They've been falling apart ever since. Frank Gore was seemingly made of glass knees in college, then has been Mr. Reliable for the 9ers. It's tougher to call than you think. Rice isn't going to be bowling over guys like he does when he plays some soft Louisville defense.

Rice is a lot like Maurice Jones-Drew. Small, compact, very low center of gravity, great balance, pound for pound as strong a runner as you will find

Thats a garbage comparison IMHO. Not because they don't play similar styles, but from the standpoint that what sets MJD apart is his abilities to do the things he does, which is what people are questioning with Rice. MJD is worlds faster, more agile, much better burst, and better hips than Rice. MJD is shorter and has at least 10 lbs on Rice, I'd say. MJD makes his impact with his speed and shifty running style, not running guys over. Rice is more of a north-south runner who relies tons more on power than MJD did at UCLA. MJD is a great receiver and returner, Rice is for the most part just a runner.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 01, 2008, 08:38:54 PM

OBF, Ray Rice has 561 rushing yards in 3 games vs USF. I'm sure the best way to find out how much better Stewart is than Rice isn't by asking USF, btw, when USF plays Rutgers they stack the box with 8 or 9 guys because Rutgers offense is much more unbalanced and simplified than Oregon. And still, USF couldnt stop the one man show that is Ray Rice. Not that Stewart didnt dominate USF even moreso, but Ray Rice single handedly took USF out of the NC picture so USF isnt a good point of reference for why Stewart is so much better

You think Oregon had a balanced attack with a 5th string QB? And inconsistent WR? Just look what Stewart has done against 2 top 10 rushing defenses (OSU, USC). If Oregon didnt pull Stewart in the 4th he rushes for 300 yards on USF

#43 : January 02, 2008, 02:56:43 PM

USF was noticably much worse and less disciplined in the bowl game. It happens. Stewart is amazing, but he didnt get USF;s best effort. That's USF's fault. I think Stewart is a top 10 pick, and will go higher than Rice. 3500 yards and 40 TD in 2 seasons tells the story as good as I ever could. To say there is a big dropoff from McFadden/Stewart to the rest of the pack is just not true.

As far as MJD comparison to Rice, they are very comparable. They are much, much stronger than guys their size should be. They have very compact builds. Incredibly strong leg strength. Ray Rice IS a good receiver evidenced by his receiviong numebrs this year.

what sets MJD apart is his abilities to do the things he does, which is what people are questioning with Rice

I dont even know what that means. Jones Drew was a 2nd round pick, you know that right? He had people questioning him despite his college production. Who exactly is questioning Rice? I think he will be a great pro back, and I havent heard anyone say otehrwise. His agility, burst and explosiveness is right there too, he is just more known as a bruising back. btw if it werent for Jones Drew strength he would be Darren Sproles, so his strength is exactly what makes him what he is

#44 : January 02, 2008, 03:04:43 PM

Stewart will get picked before us for one, and for 2 outside of our terrific RB depth there are more reasons why drafting aRB in round 1 is not smart for us

Look at Ryan Grant, Earnest Graham, Kolby Smith, Justin Fargas, Derrick Ward, Ahmad Bradshaw, Ladell Betts, Adrian Peterson (Chicago), Maurice Morris, Jesse Chatman, Leon Washington, Kenny Watson, Jason Wright, Kenton Keith, Darius Walker, Ron Dayne, Selvin Young

Not only are durable RB hard to find, making it not a wise position to invest alot in, but it is very easy to match the production of a highly paid, highly drafted "blue chip RB" with some guy like Samkon Godo who you can pick up off the scrap heap. If you have a good system, your RB succeeds. If you have a bad system/bad OL your RB fails. Being a diehard FSU homer I know how it feels when you have a stud who would fit great on your favorite NFL team, and you really wnat him to go there. I just dont think its a smart move
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Jonathan Stewart « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools