Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Jonathan Stewart « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#75 : January 08, 2008, 09:21:05 PM

see ya jonny, you ain't no top 10 ..

He never was going to be, not many teams up there need a RB. He will just come back compete for a Heisman and be the #1 back next year. I hope he returns

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#76 : January 08, 2008, 09:23:35 PM

He never was going to be, not many teams up there need a RB. He will just come back compete for a Heisman and be the #1 back next year. I hope he returns

2 things .. he'll be the top RB next year just like brian brohm is the top QB this year ..

and i think you will prob want to upgrade your signature now :)

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#77 : January 08, 2008, 10:23:27 PM

Ray Rice is a better pro prospect than what Jones Drew was considered, yet you talk like Jones Drew is better than him in virtually every area. You are completely wrong about most of your analysis. Jones Drew relies a lot on his lower body strength, his entire game is based off his lower body strength. Same as Ray Rice. From the acceleration he gets, from the power he uses, from the cuts he makes. Ray Rice has much better straight line speed than you give him credit for. But what can I say? You are going to keep tossing the cat in the oven and calling it muffins, what can I do about it?

I completely disagree that MJD is a worse prospect. He came out in a better draft class and might still go where Rice will go. Plus, better prospects have fallen before.

Please, tell me what I'm wrong about. Is MJD not a significantly better receiver? Is he not bigger? Is he not faster? Is he not a more smooth runner? Is he not better in the open field? Rice will not be in the top 5 in RBs in the 40. Thats not the end all, be all, but it is very indicative of guys flat out faster than him. McFadden, the much bigger duo of Stewart and Mendenhall, Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, in addition to some mid-round backs. Jones-Drew is blazing fast, and clocked a sub-4.4, fastest of all RBs that year. Once again, is that the only way of measuring a guy's speed? No, but couple that with the look of his speed on the field, and I do think it's indicative of his game-breaking speed.

Does he rely on PURE POWER like Ray Rice does?

Let's just get one thing straight. MJD is not a pounding runner, thats just not him. He's got a little bit of that in his game, but it's not his forte or something he heavily relies on. Flat out RB, can you refute that? I really doubt you can. Then look at Rice. You've seen him play, so you should know he relies a great deal on running with force and breaking tackles with strength and not avoiding them. Now RB, can you refute that? Quite simply, no.

Fact of the matter is, you want to keep comparing Rice to Jones-Drew and yet you cannot say that he does have similar receiving ability or speed or agility or cuts or return ability or even that similar of size with MJD being a few inches shorter and bigger. So if you can't say they are comparable in those features, why compare them as a whole?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#78 : January 08, 2008, 10:26:00 PM

2 things .. he'll be the top RB next year just like brian brohm is the top QB this year ..

and i think you will prob want to upgrade your signature now :)

show me where its been official. Signing up for classes just protects him if he does decide to return

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#79 : January 11, 2008, 03:17:23 PM

Stewart to the NFL
Posted by John Hunt January 11, 2008 11:15AM
Categories: Football
Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart will enter the NFL draft.

The decision came Thursday, and the announcement will come today, as the Oregon coaches come back from the recruiting trail.

Stewart, as expected, got some encouraging words from the NFL scouts on his draft status, and that was enough to persuade him to forgo his senior season.

More to come...

oregonlive.com

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#80 : January 11, 2008, 03:25:47 PM

OBF, didn't Stewart have a serious turf toe condition?  I know they were talking about that during the bowl game.  My point to this is that turf toe doesn't just go away.  It can put a guys NFL career in serious doubt.  It makes me wonder if this is the reason why he is going pro this season, not that there is a question about his ability. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#81 : January 11, 2008, 04:08:17 PM

OBF, didn't Stewart have a serious turf toe condition? I know they were talking about that during the bowl game. My point to this is that turf toe doesn't just go away. It can put a guys NFL career in serious doubt. It makes me wonder if this is the reason why he is going pro this season, not that there is a question about his ability.

hes had it for awhile.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#82 : January 11, 2008, 05:10:04 PM

Shouldn't that be a concern when drafting a player that high?  I mean didn't the same thing end peoples career?

Buc31

Starter

#83 : January 11, 2008, 05:18:48 PM

100% agree. If Stewart is somehow on the board, and we pass him Ill go nuts. I bet Tampa now would love to have AD and Steven Jackson but oh wait they werent "needs".

I know we have Graham but Stewart is a lot better back.

All I need to know about Stewart hes 2nd all time at Oregon in the dead lift right behind Haloti Ngata
FWIW Steven Jackson was a 100% need going into the 2004 draft.

Don't remind me..i broke the remote when we passed on him.

J#$T!N

Practice Squad

#84 : January 11, 2008, 07:02:23 PM

I would love to land Jonathan THE FUTURE Stewart...Id also like to see us land Dixon in one of the latter rounds as well...dunno if we have a 2nd this year because WR is our GREATEST NEED on offense (per FOXSports) and I agree COMPLETELY...

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080111/SPORTS/80110089/1010

Wide receivers

Grade: C-. This grade would be lower were it not for Galloways game-breaking abilities during the regular season. He caught 57 passes for 1,014 yards and six touchdowns, only to disappear with one catch out of nine passes thrown his way in the playoff game.

Looking ahead: Michael Clayton, Maurice Stovall and Ike Hilliard did little to stand out this year, combining for two touchdowns. This stands out as the teams greatest need on offense. Look for the Bucs to trade for an elite player such as CHAD JOHNSON or sign an elite one such as RANDY MOSS (though I think Pathetics will lock him up) rather than spend a draft pick because of the urgency at this spot...

A Pessimist is what an Optimist calls a Realist, and I'm as Real as they come...

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#85 : January 12, 2008, 03:44:04 AM

Shouldn't that be a concern when drafting a player that high? I mean didn't the same thing end peoples career?

He really hasnt missed a game cause of it. Only time he missed games was cause of his ankle

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#86 : January 12, 2008, 03:44:49 AM

I would love to land Jonathan THE FUTURE Stewart...Id also like to see us land Dixon in one of the latter rounds as well...dunno if we have a 2nd this year because WR is our GREATEST NEED on offense (per FOXSports) and I agree COMPLETELY...

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080111/SPORTS/80110089/1010

Wide receivers

Grade: C-. This grade would be lower were it not for Galloways game-breaking abilities during the regular season. He caught 57 passes for 1,014 yards and six touchdowns, only to disappear with one catch out of nine passes thrown his way in the playoff game.

Looking ahead: Michael Clayton, Maurice Stovall and Ike Hilliard did little to stand out this year, combining for two touchdowns. This stands out as the teams greatest need on offense. Look for the Bucs to trade for an elite player such as CHAD JOHNSON or sign an elite one such as RANDY MOSS (though I think Pathetics will lock him up) rather than spend a draft pick because of the urgency at this spot...

we wouldnt need to use a 2nd on Dixon should be there round 4

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Draft Jonathan Stewart « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools