Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden and Gradkowski « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#30 : October 10, 2006, 12:19:45 PM

My point is when Bill B. didn't have nearly enough time to eval Brady, he still made the unpopular decision. If Jon felt Grads was the answer, he should have made the decision.

I'm sorry, I'm still not quite understanding you. I only commented on similarities between the two circumstances. Starting QB who was not chosen for the offense by the head coach goes down, inexperienced 6th round draft pick replaces him, does well. I'm just hoping it turns out as positively for Tampa Bay as it did for New England.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#31 : October 10, 2006, 12:22:57 PM

I'm sorry, I'm still not quite understanding you. I only commented on similarities between the two circumstances. Starting QB who was not chosen for the offense by the head coach goes down, inexperienced 6th round draft pick replaces him, does well. I'm just hoping it turns out as positively for Tampa Bay as it did for New England.

Maybe we're not understanding each other. I made referene to the Patirots situation way up at the top, I assumed you were commenting on that original post. I didn't realize your Patriots reference was unique and unprovoked by my original post in this thread.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 10, 2006, 12:25:14 PM

No, I missed your original reference.

simms22

Second String

#33 : October 10, 2006, 12:25:39 PM

I'm sorry, I must be missing your point. Belichick didn't put Brady in until Bledsoe got hurt. Gruden didn't put Gradkowski in until Simms got hurt. Brady remained the starter when Bledsoe got healthy, Gradkowski is probably going to remain the starter when Simms gets healthy unless Grads completely falls on his face, which is unlikely.
its unlikely that a 6th round pick is going to fall on his face? do i even need to go into the statistics involving starters in the 5th round or less? Not saying that grads wont succeed because i think he can, but the numbers are against him.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 10, 2006, 12:29:30 PM

its unlikely that a 6th round pick is going to fall on his face? do i even need to go into the statistics involving starters in the 5th round or less? Not saying that grads wont succeed because i think he can, but the numbers are against him.

What I meant was, I don't think Grads will perform so poorly that Gruden will be forced to go back to Simms at any point. The numbers are against him, to be sure, as they were against Brady. The numbers were against Gannon ever doing anything either, considering he was cut six times before he ended up with Gruden.

Fortunately, Gradkowski is an individual and not a number. I personally think he has what it takes.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 10, 2006, 12:31:31 PM

Grads should never have been a 6th rounder.  He holds plenty of records that players like Pennington, Leftwich, Big Ben and Frye couldn't match.  Basically not many teams were looking for QBs and questioned his size. 

simms22

Second String

#36 : October 10, 2006, 12:33:08 PM

What I meant was, I don't think Grads will perform so poorly that Gruden will be forced to go back to Simms at any point. The numbers are against him, to be sure, as they were against Brady. The numbers were against Gannon ever doing anything either, considering he was cut six times before he ended up with Gruden.

Fortunately, Gradkowski is an individual and not a number. I personally think he has what it takes.
i do too, i was impressed by gradkowski this weekend and hopefully he continues to grow, just stating that for what its worth which isnt much, history is against him

drywallbuc

Starter

#37 : October 10, 2006, 03:00:00 PM

i just dont remember rich gannon being that mobile qb.

buy american
hire american
save america

boycott chinese goods

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 10, 2006, 03:02:34 PM

Not in his last couple of years but early in his career he was very mobile.

#39 : October 10, 2006, 03:28:48 PM

Gradkowski is much quicker, but Gannon could move and scramble intelligently.  That's all gradkowski should be trying to do.

There was a pass called on 1st down where G dropped back, nothing was there, he pulled it down and got 5 yards before sliding to a stop.  That play brings joy to my heart!  :)

buckit

Hall of Famer

#40 : October 11, 2006, 05:47:37 PM

Why didn't Gruden start Gradkowski?  Because the tried and true rule of the NFL is YOU DON'T START ROOKIE QB'S.  Even the Titans didn't start Young right away, nor did the Cardinals start Leinart.  Only out of pure necessity, or the realization that your season is over do you put in the rookie.  It was the same last year when Griese went down.  Sure he was stinkin up the joint, but benching him for Simms would have constituted too much unknown risk.  I'm not saying I agree with the mentality (because I think the times are proving otherwise) but I understand where it comes from.  Deep down, on some level Gruden has to be relieved that A) he gets to start Gradkowski and B) the kid played well.  He's walked into a no lose situation.  After all, like anyone in any profession, he wants to keep his job...

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden and Gradkowski « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools