Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A flawed System... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
: January 02, 2008, 10:46:41 AM

Georgia, USC, and Mizzo beats the crap out of the scrub teams they played.  LSU will beat Ohio State like a drum when all is said and done.  Now ESPN wants everyone to believe that the only team really deserving of competing for a championship is USC?  Why not Georgia?  Why not Mizzo?  Check out this gem of a write from one ESPN analyst:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls07/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3176724

College football is a disgrace to competitive athletics IMO.  Yes, the games are great, the talent is great, but the game profits from young men who rarely make it in life without going pro, and the championship is disgraceful since it's awarded by coaches and the media.
How many of you college football fans knew that until 1967, the national championship was awarded BEFORE bowl games were even played?!  So voting, which is rigged, is what awarded the trophy!  For example, since Notre Dame was Notre Dame, all they had to do was go undefeated and get the trophy, even if they lost the bowl game.  Whoever wins the LSU-OS game will not be the true champion IMO.  This game needs a playoff about as bad as any program I've ever seen. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 02, 2008, 10:48:22 AM

It should be USC Georgia. USC is playing very well now.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 02, 2008, 10:48:43 AM

Continue to beat that dead horse Captain Obvious.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 02, 2008, 10:51:37 AM

The bad thing is that Georgia didn't win their confrence.  As much as I think Georgia is the best team in the nation right now, you should nat play for a NC if you didn't win your division.  Oklahoma and USC both have good reason to believe they should be in the NC game.  If there was a plus one Georgia would still get left out.  I think the four best team to play in a plus one would be Georgia, LSU, USC, Oklahoma. 

jakedakota

Starter

#4 : January 02, 2008, 10:54:24 AM

You guys are funny. First you say HAWAII played no one and just because a 2 loss Georgia team beats HAWAII that makes them Good??!! LOL

Carry on...

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 02, 2008, 11:16:22 AM

Georgia has played good football all season and beat a lot of good teams.  They did what they were supposed to do aginst Hawaii and that was send them swimming easily. 

Georgia beat                                               Hawaii Beat
Team                      SI Rank                         team                      SI Rank
Oklahoma state      55                             Northern Colorado      NA
Western Carolina    NA                            Louisiana Tech             92
Alabama                  53                            UNLV                           113
Mississippi               97                            Charleston Southern   NA
Vanderbilt               64                             Idaho                          118
Florida                    9                               Utah State                   112
Troy                         34                            San Jose State             89
Auburn                    19                             New Mexico State        107 
Kentucky                 36                             Fresno State                47
Georgia Tech           44                             Nevada                        90
Hawaii                     11                             Boise State                  27
                                                                Washington                  81

I think I would say that Georgia beat better teams and proved that it was a better team. 

Washington

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 02, 2008, 10:52:15 PM

Continue to beat that dead horse Captain Obvious.

I will do that my man! 

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 03, 2008, 09:07:26 AM

You can not play football players without paying all athletes at a school.  As it is already most players are getting living expenses, free food, and free school.  It sure sounds to me like they are getting something in return for playing.  An education is much more valuable then an extra couple hundred a month.  I think they get about 400 a month now which is $20,800 if they are paid all year plus all the rest would give them a payment of around $50,000 per year.

I think if you asked the players they wouldn't want to have a playoff very much.  Why would any of the players that are going to be pro players and sign that contract want to play 3-4 more games a season throughout there career.  At 3 seasons that is 9 extra games that they are taking a chance of getting hurt in.  If I were an player that carried a first round grade my final season I wouldn't want to play those extra games, I am hardly showing up in the bowl game.

There is more to all this then just putting in a playoff system.  Everybody associated with College football believes the system they have now is in the best interest for both the players and the schools. 

jakedakota

Starter

#8 : January 03, 2008, 09:14:03 AM

After What WV did to Oklahoma they should be in the mix

HAWAII Best Record in Division 1 Football...12-1

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 04, 2008, 01:24:59 AM

Kansas, Mizzo, USC, Georgia, WVA, Oregon, and I suppose LSU & OU would have made for a great playoff pairings.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 08, 2008, 01:21:06 AM

You can not play football players without paying all athletes at a school. As it is already most players are getting living expenses, free food, and free school. It sure sounds to me like they are getting something in return for playing. An education is much more valuable then an extra couple hundred a month. I think they get about 400 a month now which is $20,800 if they are paid all year plus all the rest would give them a payment of around $50,000 per year.

AGREE - Do NOT pay them - you think things are rigged now? Besides college players are getting unbelievable treatment at the college level and they are getting the best education in the world. It is not the fault of the university if a young man that has no shot at the NFL does not value an education, nor have enough foresite to understand what he's being given!

I think if you asked the players they wouldn't want to have a playoff very much. Why would any of the players that are going to be pro players and sign that contract want to play 3-4 more games a season throughout there career. At 3 seasons that is 9 extra games that they are taking a chance of getting hurt in. If I were an player that carried a first round grade my final season I wouldn't want to play those extra games, I am hardly showing up in the bowl game.

Great point. Also - Jim Tressell (OSU coach) coached in Div II where they had a playoff. He was once in favor of a playoff for Div I but changed his mind due to two reasons. First he mentioned that the players have so many demands on their time now it is hard for them to study. ADDING more games causes student athletes to make a decision between the importance of team/sports versus the importance of academics. This is college, amature athletics. REDUCING number of games diminishes competition and would cause many teams to select they competition carefully so as not to affect seeding. This would not improve comeptition. Second - Tressell said that the excitement of the bowl games is unequaled in div II playoff system. It is methodical and even then the seeding process is still open to a selection committee. How many times have great teams been left out of the Final Four/March madness? How many times has Duke been given a soft bracket?

There is more to all this then just putting in a playoff system. Everybody associated with College football believes the system they have now is in the best interest for both the players and the schools.

Nice post BucEmUp - I have to admit that I have had an epiphany of sorts on this topic, this year. I also don't think you could create any more excitement (read advertising - the cash that fuels the bowls) if you impleneted it, it would not benefit the players and it would not benefit the fans. I did not know of Tressells changing attitude - but it was another Buckeye - that got me to consider this line of thinking. Kirk Herbstreit laid this line of thought out during the college football season. Caused me to sit down and think about it and I came away seeing and understanding the alternate reasoning - doesn't make either side right or wrong - just makes me realize things will not be changing at this level and for good reasons.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 08, 2008, 01:30:53 AM

Kansas, Mizzo, USC, Georgia, WVA, Oregon, and I suppose LSU & OU would have made for a great playoff pairings.

Didn't Mizzou get soundly beaten in the Big 12 game? They would not have been elligible...begin to see the point? Who picks the elligible teams? This becomes the job of a selection comittee...kind of like a more constrained poll. In basketball some really great mid-majors have been routinely left out of the Tournament of 64...and again, Duke gets favorable seeding.

No - I remain convinced this is the best possible system for Division 1 - for the players, the fans and the networks.

Only people who are usually angry are fans that feel their team got ignored (or for the past two years - any fan not rooting for a Big Ten team from Ohio...).

Incomparable sig by Incognito

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 08, 2008, 09:00:39 AM

Buckeye, that is just plain silly to think this season, or every other one for that matter, would not have been better with a playoff.  Do you honestly believe that Ohio State was better than Georgia and USC?  Isn't it how we finish the season, not how we begin it that defines a team and a championship?  Doesn't Duke still play basketball in the ACC, arguably the best conference in NCAA basketball? 
To allow Ohio State to play in the national championship game the last two years has been a crime IMO.  It would have been like the 2007 Bucs getting a free ticket to the Superbowl?!

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 08, 2008, 09:01:55 AM

I remain convinced this is the best possible system for Division 1 - for the players, the fans and the networks.

Unreal......

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 08, 2008, 10:24:12 AM

The system is built to reward school and make money for the confrences.  The fans want to know who the best team in the nation is.  Take away the NC and the bowls work very well.  A lot more goes into college football that the fans do not realize, as I presented in my post.  The most important on being that players wouldn't want to play the extra games.  If I was rated as a 1st or 2nd round prospect I wouldn't want to risk injury for little to no money.  So how much are you going to pay me?  Then you will have the athletes from other sports asking for money also.  You can not pay one sport without paying the other.  As it is right now football probably just makes enough money to support the other programs.  You can not just look at it as how much money is the football program making for football.  The bowl games reward the teams that played well during the season and thats the way it should stay.

A playoff sounds good and we would get a true number one but is it realistic? No, if you have a 8 team playoff then the 9th team will be mad they didn't get in.  If you take the top 8 in the BCS standing then you would have 2-3 schools from one confrence and 1-2 of those schools wouldn't even have won their confrence.  How do you think it should work if it is so easy?

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A flawed System... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools