Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A flawed System... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

#15 : January 08, 2008, 12:48:10 PM

Georgia got beat by SOuth Carolina, and got stomped by a bad Tennessee team. They had no business in the national championship. They barely beat Vandy, Alabama took them to overtime, and Troy made their matchup real interesting. They are lucky they even beat UF

Mizzou lost to Oklahoma twice, and didnt win their conference championship. They didn tdeserve it either

West Virginia has the best argument if they dont lay a clunker to Pitt the last game of the year. WV wouldve handled Georgia or Mizzou

USC has an argument

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 08, 2008, 12:49:40 PM

Georgia got beat by SOuth Carolina, and got stomped by a bad Tennessee team. They had no business in the national championship. They barely beat Vandy, Alabama took them to overtime, and Troy made their matchup real interesting. They are lucky they even beat UF

Mizzou lost to Oklahoma twice, and didnt win their conference championship. They didn tdeserve it either

USC has an argument

USC lost to Stanford at home.  Blows that out of the water.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 08, 2008, 03:04:53 PM

Each conference has a conference championship game.  That fills 6 spots.  2 at large ( This year that would be from Georgia, Kansas,  and Hawaii.

4 playoff games right after regular season and Championship games ( home field higher seed)    winners meet on New Years, final 2 the next weekend.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 08, 2008, 03:16:06 PM

Each conference has a conference championship game. That fills 6 spots. 2 at large ( This year that would be from Georgia, Kansas, and Hawaii.

That's not bad, but it could be better.

How about leaving out the ACC champ, and having 3 at-large bids instead?

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 08, 2008, 03:23:55 PM

Each conference has a conference championship game. That fills 6 spots. 2 at large ( This year that would be from Georgia, Kansas, and Hawaii.

Or replace with a more competitive conference's champ like Conference USA or the Sun Belt.  ;)

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 08, 2008, 03:24:15 PM

4 playoff games right after regular season and Championship games ( home field higher seed) winners meet on New Years, final 2 the next weekend.

So you are making the case that the MAC, USA, and others deserve a spot in the playoff system?  The confrence champions from these confences wouldn't be in the top three of the big confrences.  You are also adding games to a season that many players already feel is long enough.  What are you going to do for the players that get hurt?  Are you going to pay the players for the risk they are taking?

How many players would you expect to stick around one they are eligable for the NFL?  Football can not be treated like basketball because the risk of injury is so much greater.  

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 08, 2008, 03:30:34 PM

Or replace with a more competitive conference's champ like Conference USA or the Sun Belt.  ;)

Finally, giving them Troy Trojans the credit they deserve!  ;)

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 08, 2008, 03:35:05 PM

Or replace with a more competitive conference's champ like Conference USA or the Sun Belt. ;)

Finally, giving them Troy Trojans the credit they deserve! ;)

You know it.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 08, 2008, 05:09:41 PM

So the Big Ten champ doesn't deserve to play in the NC game? How do you get to that? If the SEC is so dominant what happened to Florida against Michigan - a team so esy to beat even Appalachian State could do it? OSU beat Michigan by 11 - Florida lost by 7 that makes us better than Florida. Florida lost to LSU by 4 so OSU deserves to be there, see how I got there?

It's humorous to hear you defend how easy it would be to just use the conference championship games as round one - so long as you leave out Big East, ACC, Sun Belt, the MAC, the Mountain West and WAC you're ok - since you have to add a round for each of those teams...actually adds a few more games - see why it isn't realistic?

Kansas, Mizzo, USC, Georgia, WVA, Oregon, and I suppose LSU & OU would have made for a great playoff pairings.

I remain convinced this is the best possible system for Division 1 - for the players, the fans and the networks.

Unreal......

Miyagi - SEC guys would have the BIGGEST cry fest - because if you include a playoff system where you can take two teams from each major conference - SEC, PAC-10, Big Ten, Big East, ACC, MAC, WAC, Conference USA, Sun Belt and Mountain West - thats 20 teams - doesn't that two teams would play 4 extra games on top of there schedule? Which 7 SEC teams would you have eliminated from an opportunity to play for the NC game? Since we all know the SEC is the best conference - is it fair to leave those teams out while you allow some teams from a more undeserving conference in? If one of those SEC teams loses a QB or RB in one of their previous playoff games - yet advances and then loses to an inferior team - is that fair?

Nope current system is the best system we have - and one which leavesthe door open for endless speculation, bragging rights. It generates passion and discussion which drives viewer interest. This attracts advertisers - for a one game playoff. It's outstanding.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 08, 2008, 05:14:49 PM

So the Big Ten champ doesn't deserve to play in the NC game? How do you get to that? If the SEC is so dominant what happened to Florida against Michigan - a team so esy to beat even Appalachian State could do it? OSU beat Michigan by 11 - Florida lost by 7 that makes us better than Florida. Florida lost to LSU by 4 so OSU deserves to be there, see how I got there?

I know you were joking...but Michigan played their best game of the year, Florida played one of it's worst and Michigan BARELY won.  But they were clearly the better team that day.

And Florida lost by 6, not 7...give me that one damn point!  ;)

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 08, 2008, 05:33:19 PM

Sorry Biggs, didn't mean to take that hard earned point from you...

It was enough to hear a UF fan admit that The Big Ten team they played was clearly better...;)

Incomparable sig by Incognito

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 08, 2008, 05:36:34 PM

I know you were joking...but Michigan played their best game of the year, Florida played one of it's worst and Michigan BARELY won. But they were clearly the better team that day.

And Florida lost by 6, not 7...give me that one damn point! ;)

3 TOs at the one.  I don't think it was Michigan's best game of the year.  UF was lucky to be in it at all.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 08, 2008, 05:37:56 PM

Sorry Biggs, didn't mean to take that hard earned point from you...

It was enough to hear a UF fan admit that The Big Ten team they played was clearly better...;)

You conveniently left off the "on that day" part of the "clearly better" remark. ;)

I don't think Michigan would beat Florida if they played again...but I could be wrong.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 08, 2008, 05:40:15 PM

3 TOs at the one.  I don't think it was Michigan's best game of the year.  UF was lucky to be in it at all.

Everybody acts like Michigan just handed the ball over to Florida...  Florida's defense did a FEW good things in that game, and the turnovers were it.  Mike Hart hadn't fumbled all year long...those balls were stripped, he didn't just drop them from a little swipe like friggin' Spurlock did on that kickoff.

And if that wasn't the best game Michigan played all year, can you tell me which one was?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 08, 2008, 05:45:52 PM

He was reaching for the goal line on at least one of the fumbles (I think both) and the INT was a bad pass.  Give them credit. 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A flawed System... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools