Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A flawed System... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 08, 2008, 06:00:50 PM

Not really a U of Mich follower - but I can tell you which Michigan game was their worst...

Incomparable sig by Incognito

#31 : January 08, 2008, 06:10:08 PM

I dont know why anyone would ever hate on the BIg 12 or ACC conferences. They are filled with programs that have historically recruited players who could compete with recruits from all around the country. I mean we arent talking Big 10 who live in their own world playing their own slow, midwestern, non-athlete athletes, or PAC 10 who don't develop physical defenders like the rest of the country. The ACC will easily be right there with the SEC soon enough. As will the Big 12, its only a matter of time until programs like Colorado, Nebraska, and K State rejoin Mizzou, Oklahoma, Texas, T Tech, OK State, and Kansas. With the ACC you have Miami, FSU, Virginia, NC State and Maryland who will soon rejoin the likes of Boston College, Va Tech and Wake. Take your shots now

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 08, 2008, 09:19:32 PM

PAC 10 who don't develop physical defenders like the rest of the country.

huh? I can think of quite a few

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#33 : January 08, 2008, 11:51:19 PM

Looks like the president of UGA agrees that the current system is flawed too!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#34 : January 09, 2008, 12:25:43 AM

Looks like the president of UGA agrees that the current system is flawed too!

He does this year because they were oleft out.  Should have beaten sorry Tennessee and then they could have settled it themselves.  They choked and so it was on them.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 09, 2008, 02:12:10 AM

I think Chris Wells 65 yard opening score disproves the whole myth of a lack of speed in the Big ten. The same guys that are recruited by the SEC are recruited to the Big Ten. It's a silly, simplistic charge. LSU and OSU were pretty evenly matched physically. LSU coaches called a better game while getting better execution from players.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#36 : January 09, 2008, 09:16:30 AM

I think Chris Wells is one of the few players on the team that has the speed that most are talking about.  Ghoston was another one...but he didn't do a whole lot.

What happened to James L....didn't hear his name too much.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 09, 2008, 09:22:10 AM

I think Chris Wells 65 yard opening score disproves the whole myth of a lack of speed in the Big ten. The same guys that are recruited by the SEC are recruited to the Big Ten. It's a silly, simplistic charge. LSU and OSU were pretty evenly matched physically. LSU coaches called a better game while getting better execution from players.

No way was OH anywhere close to the same level as LSU, or UF from last year.  I for one am tired of "tradition" allowing teams to play for the championship.  If Notre Dame loses four games they are still ranked in the top 25; why?  Because they are Notre Dame!!  As far as I'm concerned, there is no difference in the Big Ten than the Big Twelve.  KU or Mizzou deserved as much of a chance to play for the championship as OH, but the difference is the tradition of OH and those who attended OH and who has a vote.  A "Vote?"  How in the world do we let VOTES determine the national championship!?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 09, 2008, 09:23:24 AM

And for the record, why don't we just start letting votes determine who wins the Super Bowl?  That way, Dallas and New England would get to play for the big game every year, regardless of there record! College football is a scam.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#39 : January 09, 2008, 09:39:52 AM

Give it up.  Ohio State earned the right to be there by winning their games.  They lost.  That's the way it goes.  All the teams that people keep saying deserved to be there lost games they should have won.  UGA lost to Tennesee.  USC lost to Stanford.  Oklahoma lost to Colorado, then to WVU in the bowl game.  WVU lost to Pitt.

LSU won the game.  They were the best team.  Stop whining already.  A playoff or some sort of plus one is better, but there will still be questions.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#40 : January 09, 2008, 09:42:07 AM

UGA lost to Tennesee and Florida.

Georgia beat Florida this year.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 09, 2008, 01:18:15 PM

I agree - LSU proved on the field they were better. OSU was as competitive as anyone else. Big 12 is as competitive as the Big Ten case in point, Oklahoma got DESTROYED by West Virginia (remember they were beaten by USF).

I don't need to have an NFL type play-off system. I cannot imagine changing a very successful format. The bowl games are just fantastic, and there are 32 of them. They provide schools much needed alternative streams of income.

As Miyagi (not a Buckeye fan) stated in another thread - OSU athletics has put two football teams and one basketball team into the National Championship - that is not a fluke.

The Buckeye's need to have the same competitive situation as the SEC if they want to have the performance of the SEC. I will admit that the SEC is dominant DUE to their level of competition of the member schools. With the influx of new, proven coaches at Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois, Penn State and Wisconsin - I think we're on our way to seeing that.

BTW - where do you think the tradition of thinking about the Big Ten as a major conference started anyway? It had to be earned. Just as the SEC is doing now. For most of their history Florida Gator football was a doormat in the SEC - Charley Pell, Galen Hall and Steve Spurrier changed that. It used to be that LSU & Alabama were the Big time programs and every other team was just an also ran...SEC changed that by going after better coaches.

Now Notre Dame - not sure they'll recover from Charley Wiess. They also didn't want to align with a conference a few years ago and now are severely crippled. Throw in the tough academic standards and you see why it precludes some of the more talented athelets from attending a school that expects more from them. Same thing happened with Stanford. The NCAA has implemented some parity - it's allowed some smaller schools to compete. Notre Dame used to be able to count on parents wanting to their Catholic kids to be supported in a familiar setting - that dynamic has changed andf they no longer get all the Catholic High School stars - it has to compete with everyone else. The Academic standards along with their status as an Independent - are the two biggest culprits for their demise - oh and Charlie Wiess....makes three

#42 : January 10, 2008, 01:58:25 AM

I think OSU and Michigan are somewhat exceptions to the rule. They can get recruits from anywhere, and they can get speed. I just think the majority of their players will always be the cornfed, midwestern types who are straight ahead type players that need to be physically strong to compete with the style played in that conference

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 10, 2008, 02:08:17 AM

Could be Ronde - I also heard about the speed thing before the Miami game. For some reason the Buckeye's kept hanging around.

I think that the type of game OSU plays is not so much a midwestern  style game as it is that the level of competition does not prepare them for comebacks and does not force the players and coaches to change tactics within the flow of the game. I think that is about to change. It will be interesting to see just how it begins to change next year. Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan State are all entering the 2nd year of there programs. Rich Brooks will be bringing that spread offense that Urban runs to the Big Ten.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#44 : January 10, 2008, 09:35:40 AM

Rich Brooks will be bringing that spread offense that Urban runs to the Big Ten.

Do you mean Rich Rodriguez?  Rich Brooks is still at Kentucky, right?

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A flawed System... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools